Q45 Electric fan

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
66mgb
Car: 1992 Q45 Modified w/ NICO Goodness

Has anyone removed their mechanical fan and installed a electric fan on their Q?

Just curious - I just cleaned up the engine bay and noticed that the plastic fan blades have developed cracks near the fan clutch.

DrewQ45

66mgb
Car: 1992 Q45 Modified w/ NICO Goodness

Ahh...the dreaded search.

Well - does Sojiko like the electric swap? Anyone else make the conversion?

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

66mgb wrote:Ahh...the dreaded search.

Let's try this again.

Do the search and read the threads.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

he did the swap because he installed a twin pass radiator, so the factory fan/shroud wouldnt work anymore..

besides maybe cleaning up the engine bay, i dont really see the need to put the extra strain on the alternator.

DrewQ45

66mgb wrote:Ahh...the dreaded search.

My logic leads me to the mindset that if an electric fan was an improvement, it would have been included on the Q. Afterall, it's not like they weren't around when the designers were drawing up the plans. Adding additional electric components simply switches the load to the alternator and battery rather than the crankshaft.

I guess it comes down to what you like though. We have many spending $$$ for cold air intakes when the Q comes with one from the factory. I replaced mine with one from the junkyard and held onto the extra fan clutch so I wouldnt have to buy one. I put it up for sale but it didn't sell so now I'm holding on to it.

Whatever you do, don't wait too long as the fan can disintegrate and damage your radiator and who knows what else. I suspect your fan looks like this....

...Drew...
Modified by DrewQ45 at 12:45 PM 5/18/2006

Flagship-Q
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45

I've removed mine from my jeep because I've seen dyno #'s of around 12 RWHP. It seems to help slightly with mpg and the motor feels like it revs up faster as well. Just be careful on which elec. fan you select as the amps it draws could put a strain on the charging system.

bullittandy
Car: 2003 Q45, 70K miles, 1999 Q45 touring 180K miles, 1997 Q45 270K miles, (sold), 1997 Q45 186K miles (junk-sold)

On a Mustang 5.0 electric fans are worth about 5-8 HP when they replace a mechanical fan with a new fan clutch. They can worth as much as 12-15 HP if the fan clutch is old/sticky.Summit has an integrated electric fan and shroud combo that pulls 3300 CFM. This will support about 300 HP so I'd expect that it would work well on a Q.

I'd love to see a Dyno comparison between a Q with a fan belt hooked up and one disconnected to see how much HP you'd get, if any.

TgduMg
Car: 94 Q45, 02 Maxima SE

DrewQ45 wrote:My logic leads me to the mindset that if an electric fan was an improvement, it would have been included on the Q.
The 06 Q45 I looked at a few days ago didn't have a mechanical fan.
bullittandy wrote:On a Mustang 5.0 electric fans are worth about 5-8 HP when they replace a mechanical fan with a new fan clutch. They can worth as much as 12-15 HP if the fan clutch is old/sticky.
FX45 e-fan conversionTitan e-fan conversion

Danisiti 1

Jesda

I like the idea of a clutch for simplicity. The VH45 is not something you want to ever overheat, and clutches tend to go out gradually. When electric fans die, they die completely and require you to figure out what switch, wire, or sensor needs replacement.

DrewQ45

Okay,

It seems there is some small HP gain after reading all your comments and on the other forums, however, where does one stand with their electrical system? I have already added an extra load to mine with after market Stereo/amp and subs so I'd probably think twice about such a mod. Changing the Alternator is not cheap or easy from what I remember.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

bullittandy wrote:On a Mustang 5.0 electric fans are worth about 5-8 HP when they replace a mechanical fan with a new fan clutch. They can worth as much as 12-15 HP if the fan clutch is old/sticky.Summit has an integrated electric fan and shroud combo that pulls 3300 CFM. This will support about 300 HP so I'd expect that it would work well on a Q.

I'd love to see a Dyno comparison between a Q with a fan belt hooked up and one disconnected to see how much HP you'd get, if any.
Send me $75 abd I will take mine off on the next Dyno trip. I will send you a nice pretty color printout.

My clutch went out, and I was able to drive the car a few days (below 2200 RPM) until Joe could send me a new one. It screams and whines above 220 RPM. You know, it is really hard to drive these cars under 220 RPM.

bullittandy
Car: 2003 Q45, 70K miles, 1999 Q45 touring 180K miles, 1997 Q45 270K miles, (sold), 1997 Q45 186K miles (junk-sold)

That's a good point. I had to change my alternator (65 amps to 130 amps)on my Mustang in order to support the electrical load. The fan I used on the Mustang draws 12-15 amps I think. Does anone know the amps that a stock alternator puts out? How many amps are used in the car? The other advantageof an electric fan is an increase in gas mileage, again on a Mustang it is between 1-2 MPG. Granted, the fan costs $300 so it would take about 30,000 miles to make your money back with a 1.5 MPG improvement.

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Flagship-Q wrote: I've removed mine from my jeep because I've seen dyno #'s of around 12 RWHP.
On a dyno run, the motor would probably be running hot enough to engage the fan clutch. During normal driving (e.g., on the highway or in town with minimal A/C use) that rarely happens.

I was very dissapointed with the performance of the 16 inch Perma-Cool 2950 CFM electric fan I installed in my 4-cylinder pickup - Even with the new fan mounted inside the existing fan shroud, it simply didn't move anywhere near the same amount of air as the stock plastic clutch-driven fan. The engine ran noticeably hotter, too.

I eventually went to a belt-driven metal flex-blade fan, along with a fan spacer to eliminate the original clutch. It cools VERY well, but is noisy ALL the time - not something I'd want to put in a luxury car.

IMO, there's a reason why electric fans are OEM equipment on so few V8 vehicles: In general, they don't work as well as their belt-driven counterparts.

Flagship-Q
Car: 1992 Infiniti Q45

The Ford Taurus electric fan is a very popular conversion among jeepers and V8 conversions alike as it is very stout, reliable and can pull about 3000 CFM. They can be had from a junkyard for about $30 but they also dray about 30 amps too. Hooked up correctly, I think they could be as reliable as anything O.E. This is the elec. fan I have on my jeep right now and all is well. http://www.fordmuscle.com/arch...x.php

sijoko
Car: Black 1994 Infiniti Q45 Turbo, Pearl White 2014 Maxima Sport

Flagship-Q wrote: The Ford Taurus electric fan is a very popular conversion among jeepers and V8 conversions alike as it is very stout, reliable and can pull about 3000 CFM. They can be had from a junkyard for about $30 but they also dray about 30 amps too. Hooked up correctly, I think they could be as reliable as anything O.E. This is the elec. fan I have on my jeep right now and all is well. http://www.fordmuscle.com/arch...x.php
That's the fan that I am using in my setup. I am only using the low speed connection since my Fan Controller is only rated to 25 amps and the high speed side draws a lot more. According to the link, the fan draws 40 amps on the high speed side.

You can pick up these fans on eBay pretty cheap. Sometimes they also have new ones available. Another fan that might work is the one for a Lincoln Town Car.

On my setup, I also wired up a switch to manually turn on the A/C condenser fan. So far everything is good to go. I have a Techtom MDM-100 that shows the temps from the Coolant Temp sensor. The engine usually stays in the 190 - 200 range.

Dxta
Car: Infiniti M45 sedan base sport

sijoko wrote:
Thu May 18, 2006 9:18 am
Flagship-Q wrote: The Ford Taurus electric fan is a very popular conversion among jeepers and V8 conversions alike as it is very stout, reliable and can pull about 3000 CFM. They can be had from a junkyard for about $30 but they also dray about 30 amps too. Hooked up correctly, I think they could be as reliable as anything O.E. This is the elec. fan I have on my jeep right now and all is well. http://www.fordmuscle.com/arch...x.php
That's the fan that I am using in my setup. I am only using the low speed connection since my Fan Controller is only rated to 25 amps and the high speed side draws a lot more. According to the link, the fan draws 40 amps on the high speed side.

You can pick up these fans on eBay pretty cheap. Sometimes they also have new ones available. Another fan that might work is the one for a Lincoln Town Car.

On my setup, I also wired up a switch to manually turn on the A/C condenser fan. So far everything is good to go. I have a Techtom MDM-100 that shows the temps from the Coolant Temp sensor. The engine usually stays in the 190 - 200 range.
This is an old thread, but i want to know how you were able to control the fan speed. Did you used the hydraulic pump solenoid circuit signal for grounding the fan(or relay), or how?

Did you used your stock radiator also?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Dxta wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:06 pm
sijoko wrote:
Thu May 18, 2006 9:18 am
This is an old thread, but i want to know how you were able to control the fan speed. Did you used the hydraulic pump solenoid circuit signal for grounding the fan(or relay), or how?
There are a lot of kits out there for DIY fan control that come with the sensor and relay needed, you just use a trim pot to set the turn-on temperature. One of my compatriots used this one from Mishimoto on his fox body Mustang and it works nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/121969324887

If you're using a Taurus or Lincoln Mk VIII fan, be aware that they blow up a hurricane and can be quite noisy. My pals over at Widget Man tell me they've helped several guys do Mk VIII conversions with variable speed, using their brushless fan control along with a solid-state relay (SSR). You could probably do the same thing using the Lingenfelter version. Or you can get a SPAL, Bosch or Bimmer BLDC fan and skip the need for an SSR and heatsink. I can help anybody interested in doing a variable speed conversion with advice and links.

Ryantzer
Car: 1990 Infiniti Q45

Does anyone make a quality variable speed fan controller? I did a bunch of research on them several years ago for my turbo Miata, and couldn't find anything on the market that wasn't an overpriced piece of junk. I finally settled on a Painless Performance F5 controller mainly due to the overall quality reputation of Painless products, but I've only got a couple thousand miles on the vehicle with that setup so the long-term reliability has yet to be proven.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The only two I know about are these, and they're both BLDC (brushless) controllers. You can only adapt them to a brush fan by using an SSR. The Lingenfelter only works with certain sensors, the Widget Man is self-learning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/143561612623
https://www.corvettemods.com/Lingenfelt ... 23143.html

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

You're better leaving the belt driven fan on there. There are electric fans also in front of the radiator, but they are for the A/C condenser. As far as replacing the fan, there are two options. One is replace it with a new fan blade, but availability is an issue. Amayama is probably your best bet. There is option two, which is replace the fan clutch and fan blade with one for the Pathfinder/300zx/QX4. Fan blade is PN: 2106040P0A. Both the fan clutch and fan blade are used in various vehicles, so it shouldn't cost too much, less than $100 for both. I 'll put a link to Ebay for the clutch. It's different that it has bolt grooves instead of holes, but it works just fine. As far as electric fan conversion, why mess with it if it ain't broke?

Another thing, never drive it with broken fan blade, as it will be out of balance and tear up the motor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264608503987?s ... 2749.l2649

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”