Put CVT neutral to use automatic car wash?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
jalexand
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

New to forum. I have several questions regarding my 2019 Rogue AWD SV. Never owned an AWD or CVT vehicle and The manual is no help. But can the transmission just be put in neutral to use automatic car wash or to just move vehicle by hand?
Last edited by Rogue One on Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise Title

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Short answer is yes, it's safe. Prolonged coasting, especially at high speed, should be avoided. Short movements at low speed like the car wash are completely harmless.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:welcome:

Yes, the CVT can be placed in neutral for car washes, etc.
Video of how a CVT transmission works.

A few minor tips...

USE THE CORRECT TITLE: That means, make sure your title has the topic at hand. Don't title something: "I have a question" or "Small concern" or "Rogue issues". Instead title it: "Tire tpms question" or "Rear bumper paint issue".

Cross-posting (i.e. posting the same message in more than one forum board) is frowned upon. It's confusing and often counterproductive. Please choose the forum topic that is closest to your post, and place it there only. If you should create a post in one forum, and later realize it would be more appropriate in another forum, please delete the original before posting it again. Duplicate post deleted.

roguery
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

random thought - I use a wheel-pull style car wash and I was having leaks up on my feet after going through after we first bought our rogue. Took me a while but I figured out I had to have the air set to recirculate because the blower was sucking in all the soap. The d3aler was no help in trying to figure all of this out with the contracted leak guy.

hopefully you don't get wet feet after a car wash but if you do - use the recirc to close the flap.

jalexand
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue SV

I have never taken car through a conveyor carwash, only automatic stand still types. Never thought about this issue till I came across story about it. But with the new automatic emergency braking AEB on some cars have to be turned off before going through carwash so the brakes are not applied suddenly.
Does that apply to my 2019 Rogue with the AEB with pedestrian detection?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't have ASIST in front of me to check your ride specifically, but all the Nissan ADAS systems I know about only function above or below a certain vehicle speed (AEB would be above), and most of them require the car to be in gear. So I seriously doubt coasting through a carwash in N at 1 mph will trigger anything. If it turns out otherwise, you can always kill the system using the vehicle setup menus.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

jalexand wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 pm
I have never taken car through a conveyor carwash, only automatic stand still types. Never thought about this issue till I came across story about it. But with the new automatic emergency braking AEB on some cars have to be turned off before going through carwash so the brakes are not applied suddenly.
Does that apply to my 2019 Rogue with the AEB with pedestrian detection?
Just a friendly word of advice. Creating a new post for the same topic (using a car wash) is confusing and often counterproductive, so please keep related questions in the same thread. Topics merged.

To answer the question about the auto braking system, it should not kick in when your car is in neutral. AFAIK, in all the years that feature has been installed on these vehicles no one has ever reported an issue with it activating in such a scenario. For that matter, my Honda Pilot has a similar feature, and I've never bothered to disable it when using the local automatic car washes.

roguery
Car: 2020 Nissan Rogue SL

I go about once a week and don't do anything special, pop it in N and roll. Never had any issue. I also had to stop from hitting someone that wouldn't leave the wash - they just turn it back on after it's safe to do so. The rogue didn't try to stop if that helps you any.

NMD
Car: 2021 Rogue Platinum AWD
2011 Sentra SR
2022 VW Jetta SE (wife's car, please don't hate)

'17, '19, '21 -- not a single issue with pull-through car washes.

Return to “Rogue Forum”