Video of how a CVT transmission works.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Black B15

Don't know if anyone has seen this or not, and I am in NO way affiliated with this company. But this is a pretty good video on how the CVT actually works and it shows the CVT in action.

Good stuff.

Again, it may be a repost...sorry if it is. Another thing...there is some obvious advertising from the company but still a great video to help expand knowledge of the CVT and how it works.
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Black B15 wrote:Don't know if anyone has seen this or not, and I am in NO way affiliated with this company. But this is a pretty good video on how the CVT actually works and it shows the CVT in action.

Good stuff.

Again, it may be a repost...sorry if it is. Another thing...there is some obvious advertising from the company but still a great video to help expand knowledge of the CVT and how it works.
Have you seen the video for NISSAN'S New Generation XTRONIC CVT?

Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

Black B15

Thanks for posting that Rogue One, very informative.

Although I have to say...after watching that I feel like the CVT in our Rogue's is a big POS compared to the New Generation Xtronic CVT.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Black B15 wrote:Thanks for posting that Rogue One, very informative.

Although I have to say...after watching that I feel like the CVT in our Rogue's is a big POS compared to the New Generation Xtronic CVT.
Harsh! Well, I can see your point given their claims: "15% increase in fuel efficiency, accelerates faster, runs quieter."
http://www.nissanusa.com/innovations/ne ... ticle.html

"Nissan first adopted the Continuously Variable Transmission in 1992, then refreshed and modernized it a decade later, becoming one of the world’s first automotive manufacturers to include the CVT on passenger cars. Now, 10 years on again, they’ve taken it to another level".

Yev
Car: Nissan Rogue

Black B15 - Did you test drive the new Rogue? I hate their XTronic CVT! I test drove the 2012 Nissan Rogue and was surprised, to say the least. It resisted heavy acceleration! I guess that's why Nissan started implementing the Sport Mode. My 2008 Nissan Rogue with regular CVT is a lot more responsive. Anyone else test drove a new Rogue with Xtronic?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

Yev wrote:Black B15 - Did you test drive the new Rogue? I hate their XTronic CVT! I test drove the 2012 Nissan Rogue and was surprised, to say the least. It resisted heavy acceleration! I guess that's why Nissan started implementing the Sport Mode. My 2008 Nissan Rogue with regular CVT is a lot more responsive. Anyone else test drove a new Rogue with Xtronic?
if im not mistaken the rogue tranny never changed yet. the programming only changed. so what you are feeling is slightly different mapping on the tranny computer

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

ImStricken wrote:
Yev wrote:Black B15 - Did you test drive the new Rogue? I hate their XTronic CVT! I test drove the 2012 Nissan Rogue and was surprised, to say the least. It resisted heavy acceleration! I guess that's why Nissan started implementing the Sport Mode. My 2008 Nissan Rogue with regular CVT is a lot more responsive. Anyone else test drove a new Rogue with Xtronic?
if im not mistaken the rogue tranny never changed yet. the programming only changed. so what you are feeling is slightly different mapping on the tranny computer
You are correct sir. Should be in the redesigned 2014 model Rogue's. Nissan, like any good car company is always tweaking/fine tuning their products. As for "Nissan...implementing the Sport Mode" to make it "a lot more responsive", here's what a CNET reviewer had to say:
http://reviews.cnet.com/suv/2013-nissan ... 14205.html
A Sport mode bumps up the idling and cruising rpm by about 500 revs and causes the CVT to more aggressively seek higher engine speeds, but it's really not necessary or even noticeably sportier than the standard program.
I have a 2012 and it has this button, and I can assure you my Rogue is quite responsive, not to mention fairly quick too. The only time the Sport Mode is engaged is if I accidentally hit the button.

Could there have been an issue with the vehicle you test drove, absolutely. I recall taking a brand new Dodge something-or-other for a test drive, only to pass on it as the engine's timing was off. Took a new Acura on a test drive and the engine light came on... anyway you get the point. If you're really serious about the Rogue, try a different dealership. Don't let one test sour your search.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

A Sport mode bumps up the idling and cruising rpm by about 500 revs and causes the CVT to more aggressively seek higher engine speeds, but it's really not necessary or even noticeably sportier than the standard program.
what a load of crap. this person has no freaking clue what they are talking about. if that was true, that MAP would place so much stress on the tranny, and it would end up in a premature death. sit on a warm car, bump the idle by 500 "revs" with 1 foot, and try and switch from P into D, and enjoy the jolt.

what SPORT does is nothing more than switch a MAP. it allows the engine to hold each specified gear ratio longer, reaching a higher RPM in the spectrum. thats all. it doesnt raise the idle. wtf does he think this is, a MACK truck with a diesel engine with an idle lift button to run high powered accessories?

there could be a slight unsteady rev count due to slightly different engine MAPPING, thats adjusting fuel pressures, etc - but its not a straight up calculated 500rom increase.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

I should know better than to trust details in a car review from a website that specializes in computers/consumer electronics. Mea culpa.
http://www.nissanmanuals.org/nissan-1802.html In the SPORT mode, the engine and transmission are controlled to set the engine speed higher than in the D (Drive) position. This enhances throttle response for a “sporty” driving feeling.

rdub2k4
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S Special Edition
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

Watched that video on the Nissan CVT. That's pretty legit!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Here is another video showing how a CVT works. This one is a GM CVT

(fixed! - imstricken)

Return to “Rogue Forum”