Project Road Terror Z

Discuss topics related to the VH41DE, VH45DE, VK45DE, and VK56DE engines.
tmorgan4
Car: 2000 Pathfinder

I'm not usually big on chrome but that intake looks sick!

Why did you install a new oil pick-up?

npez
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (soon 2B twin-turbo 450ZX) 2002 BMW M3 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (Mama)

tmorgan4 wrote:I'm not usually big on chrome but that intake looks sick!

Why did you install a new oil pick-up?
Thanks Tyler. Actually the upper plenum is polished (I told them I want it it to look like a mirror ) - but it is as bright as the chrome. As far as the pickup, Craig modded my original one when he did my oilpan, but when I decided to do it over, I designed the oilpan mod in such a way as to retain the factory pickup and location.

Thanks,Nick.

T45
Car: King Kong powered Z32

Wow, that intake looks incredible! Excellent work! At this point I would be happy just to be able to look at mine, hell, I'd pay to be able to work on it. My company is keeping me on the road a lot but I'm saving up my off time so in the spring I can get my Z back up and running.

Hey Kbflip02 my company may do work for yours, I work for MTN doing sat comm onboard cruise ships and offshore rigs. If your internet on the rig is slow I didn't do it. If it's fast then you're welcome!!! Anyways...

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Looks good Nick,

Did you do that to the intake just to get it under the hood?

I have a stock hood for mockup, that is just missing the inner support, and it clears, the one I run, I buldged an inch for extra clearance.

Looks great, hope to get them out on the road together soon. Leme know if you are over this way. You Gotta go for a ride.craig

kbflip02
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30 and 2006 Infiniti G35x

T45 wrote:Hey Kbflip02 my company may do work for yours, I work for MTN doing sat comm onboard cruise ships and offshore rigs. If your internet on the rig is slow I didn't do it. If it's fast then you're welcome!!! Anyways...
LOL im waiting to get a new rig assignment so im just sitting on my @$$ @ home w/my crazy prego wife...according to the office though the 3 rigs i might be placed on all have wireless...if I encounter any problems and cant get my daily NICO fix ill be sure to let you know...

on another note Npez its coming together nicely...everything looks great...unfortunately due to the hurricane damage ive had to push back starting my project with craig but everytime i log on here it makes me want it more and more...

were currently looking for a new house because my wife is unsatisfied with the house we have now(especially the neighbors) and we dont have enough room for an adequate nursery...

anyways GREAT JOB NPEZ! and as far as Craig goes ill give you a call later when i get a moment...since i know what your Z sounds like i can only imagine how npez's will be...

npez
Car: 1993 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (soon 2B twin-turbo 450ZX) 2002 BMW M3 2008 Honda Odyssey Touring (Mama)

craigztoyz wrote:Looks good Nick,

Did you do that to the intake just to get it under the hood?

I have a stock hood for mockup, that is just missing the inner support, and it clears, the one I run, I buldged an inch for extra clearance.

Looks great, hope to get them out on the road together soon. Leme know if you are over this way. You Gotta go for a ride.craig
Good to hear from you Craig and thanks. Yes, I wanted to try to run the stock hood without modifications at all. I think with the additional inch under there it should all fit. I guess I'll see when I get the motor back in

I'll let you know if I'm up in Austin at some point - yeah we'll definitely need to take the cars out.....

Nick.

npez

thanks. Sorry to hear about the delays with your project - but I think you'll enjoy the house purchase - and you're probably buying at the right time with prices being lower...... As far as the sound I have a feeling that mine will be quieter as the turbos will probably dampen the tone. When I start it NA initialy though it will be pretty loud as the B&B exhaust is pretty free-flow as it was designed for the original TT motor.....

Good luck with the project and hope you get back on it soon...

Nick.

craigztoyz
Car: lots of unique hot rods, and customs, with modern engines, and a good truck to pull the trailer.

Keith, Give me a shout. Had an impressive run Sat. Also, going to put the J up for Nov bills.

Nick, Glad to see you have it coming together, Going to be a beauty queen. cant wait to run it. Give me a ring, Craig

jaysol
Car: Super Black 1997 240sx/se
1995 Nissan 300zx Slick top-sold

Hey nick its jay the guy that works for centerpoint energy i met u on monday when i was out on the field. Anyway man i finally got a good deal on a complete q45 motor. Well a complete car to be exact. Hey im still thinking abt that garage and ur set-up man that sh*t is sweet. Seen the car and the motor with the modify intake in person very nice this is going to be one badass car. anyway u got pm

npez

jaysol wrote:Hey nick its jay the guy that works for centerpoint energy i met u on monday when i was out on the field. Anyway man i finally got a good deal on a complete q45 motor. Well a complete car to be exact. Hey im still thinking abt that garage and ur set-up man that sh*t is sweet. Seen the car and the motor with the modify intake in person very nice this is going to be one badass car. anyway u got pm
Hey Jay,

Thanks for the compliment. It was nice meeting you as well. Small world that a NICO member would remember the car Anyway, look in my profile and send me the PM to that address. For some reason I haven't received it, and looked in my SPAM folder and didn't see anything there either.....

Thanks,Nick.

jaysol
Car: Super Black 1997 240sx/se
1995 Nissan 300zx Slick top-sold

hey i sent u a email dude let me know when u get it

tay-fu300zxtt
Car: 300zxtt,

NICE I plan on doing this to my next Z32! My current has a rb26 .

Unnatural1
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45

Just wanted to say the project is looking absolutely incredible!

The intake looks amazing. For the near $50k price tag Infiniti charged for the Q45 in 1994, I think it should have looked like this from the beginning!

I've wanted a Z32 since they were introduced 18 years ago (OMG that's been awhile ). I'd love to see this thing in person some day. Top notch work so far...and some good ideas from everyone!

mychalous
Car: '96 240SX "Silvi"

This project looks absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed every hour it took to go through the 8 pages lol. Sorry to hear about the hurricane ike drama. Anyways keep up the great work I wish there were more car modders out there as thorough as you are. Can't wait to see this baby all buttoned up. YOU'RE MY HERO!!!

npez

Unnatural1 wrote:Just wanted to say the project is looking absolutely incredible!

The intake looks amazing. For the near $50k price tag Infiniti charged for the Q45 in 1994, I think it should have looked like this from the beginning!

I've wanted a Z32 since they were introduced 18 years ago (OMG that's been awhile ). I'd love to see this thing in person some day. Top notch work so far...and some good ideas from everyone!
Thank you for the compliments - I'm trying to do my best to have it come out presentable as well as fast Hopefully some of the things that come out between my project and the others on NICO, will help people looking into something like this with what's involved to get it done.

Thanks again,Nick.

npez

mychalous wrote:This project looks absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed every hour it took to go through the 8 pages lol. Sorry to hear about the hurricane ike drama. Anyways keep up the great work I wish there were more car modders out there as thorough as you are. Can't wait to see this baby all buttoned up. YOU'RE MY HERO!!!
Thank you for your kind words. Sorry that the thread is getting long, there were some tangential conversations but I guess that's ok as there were ideas that have come out that could be helpful to others. As far as the thoroughness, I tend to be detail oriented (to a fault sometimes) that's why I try to do most of the stuff myself, or give work to people of similar mindset with regard to detail.

I hope I can button this up soon as I'm getting impatient. I have 3 weeks vacation I need to cram in before the end of the year though, so things will pickup very quickly as more time becomes available.

Thanks again,Nick.

Unnatural1
Car: 1994 Infiniti Q45

npez wrote:Thank you for the compliments - I'm trying to do my best to have it come out presentable as well as fast Hopefully some of the things that come out between my project and the others on NICO, will help people looking into something like this with what's involved to get it done.

Thanks again,Nick.
Presentable?...that's an understatement. I'm glad the VH45DE is getting some love finally. Before all the engine swappers came along there wasn't much you could do with a VH. It was all undiscovered territory and, to a large extent, it still is.

Most of the people in the Q45 forum are interested in maintaining or VIP-styling their cars. Not so much emphasis on the performance aspect of the VH with a few notable exceptions (such as Shane). I've been following all these engine projects pretty intently. I had been thinking about selling the Q and buying an S14 or Z32 to mod/play with. But, with projects such as yours, and others, I'm excited about what's possible with the VH sitting in my engine bay!

I think all the work will be completely worth it when you are done. I don't see you being disappointed at all. When the boost comes along you should be in horsepower heaven! Keep up the good work!

~Brendan

86300ZXVH45
Car: 86 NISSAN 300 ZX GL (non-turbo) 2 seater

Please hold onto any notes if practical. I'll be doing the same with an 86'Z and automatic sometime soon. I'll catch up with you when I have more time on hand. Have fun!Thanks, Bob

JosefTTZ
Car: 1991 Nissan 300zx TT

Great progress! This is a great thread

jay-spec013

What did you do about the engine mounts. Did you just rotate the stock mounts by 180 degrees like the J30 swap or did you have to fab up some?

npez

jay-spec013 wrote:What did you do about the engine mounts. Did you just rotate the stock mounts by 180 degrees like the J30 swap or did you have to fab up some?
We created some new pods for the factory Q mounts. I am now looking at creating some new mounts to work with the factory crossmember locations.

jay-spec013

Any pics?

npez

jay-spec013 wrote:Any pics?
As far as the way it is currently with the mounting pods you can see those somewhat in the cross-member pictures I posted here: zer...age=6.

I haven't started on the new mounts yet as my wife decided she wanted to remodel the house which I've been swamped with for the past 3 weeks or so, along with 4 different contractors that are involved in this, and haven't had a chance to spend 2 minutes on my car. Everything is scheduled to be completed with the house before the new year so I hope to jump on it again soooon.

Thanks,Nick.

jay-spec013

Thanks man

slacker_221
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX

All i have to say is WOW! Beautifull!!!

8urstang
Car: 1989 240sx

nice project yo

DJ Raijin
Car: 1992 300ZX 2+0 T Top NA

can I get an update to see where the project is at, at this point?

240rb20
Car: rb20det 240sx

talk about super sexy

kbflip02
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30 and 2006 Infiniti G35x

well neighbor i can see your toy is coming along nicely...ive got a 2 month old now so things are a little bit hectic though they are starting to get under control...unfortunately i got laid off so thats playing a major part in my project as well...keep up the good work though as you are an inspiration...lol...one of these days when the girls are out and about ill have to make my way up there...hope to hear from y ou soon and most of all hope to get started on mine soon

sr240sxftw
Car: 1998 Nissan 240sx

I am so glad I found your thread. I've wanted to do the same swap for years now and I finally have the car and engine. I have the same overall goal you do. Building a VH powered Z that is well balanced for street use or any kind of racing. I to have a two stage build process. The only difference is I want to mount the turbos in the engine bay. I know it limits the size of turbos I can use and piping will be hard but I think in the end it will be worth it. Thanks for such a detailed project thread. I've already read through it once and will most likely be visiting quite often.

Keep an eye out for my project thread, ill post it as soon as i have all the parts and start on the fab work.

Return to “VH45DE / VK45DE / VK56DE Forum”