Possibility of a quick and easy CVT drain and fill?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
TheScarletRogue
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue, Cayenne red

This is pertaining the 2015 AWD with the S trim level.

Okay so I have read all this stuff on the forms about how to do a DIY CVT drain and fill (if I understand correctly) must be done with the car running, level, @ a specific temp range. you can refill it through the dip stick tube but you need to take the check plug out to tell when it is actually the proper amount.

So my question. (First inspecting for leaks and checking the level on the dip stick @ temp while the engine is running) Why cant you then just drain it w/o the car running let what comes out, come out and put back in the same amount that came out?

chunt5
Car: 2018 Rogue SV

The engine must be running when the "CVT check plug" is removed to check the level. DO NOT remove the "CVT drain plug" when the engine is running. There are two different plugs. Draining and checking the fluid are two different procedures. Reading and understanding the official Nissan procedure completely is necessary before you do anything. Note: you do not have a CVT dipstick on a second generation Rogue, just a dipstick tube.

Draining the fluid and putting back in the exact amount will work only if the temperature of drained fluid and the replacement fluid is the same and if the CVT had the correct amount of fluid to start with. The way I would do it would be to drain and refill with the amount removed plus about 4 ounces. Then I would use the check procedure to verify the proper level. These transmissions are very sensitive to the correct level.

macgiver

mac , I'm gonna do mine soon too(@40k) . chunt5 ABSOLUTELY correct , I've read , reread , read posts ad infinitum - CVT is an "odd bird". Fluid type IS in engine compartment info tag & should corroborate the correct Owner's manual recomendation ( 3 Dealer Partsmen say "info-tag" rules ).For the sake of God - use the proper Factory / Dealer FLUID - don't try to save $17 on ANY aftermarket , that's just stupid :facepalm: Proper fill being VERY sensitive to ambient temp - if sitting(cool-down/morn. ) & obviously readings "RISE" due to motor/trans temp .
SO what i'm going to do first is to measure from bottom of hash-mark the level vs Ambient temps ( w/thermometer) several mornings. Have levels measured w/ thermometer to trans cooler , and again just when the second the motor stabilizes temp gauge (6 hashes / 4 min.) ,and again measure @ "normal running -city traffic , measure again @ offramp driving "hard F-way). I believe documenting the hell out of it ( of course i"m doing this early,34k and absolutely no Issues YET !) Ya obviously gotta know level was RIGHT (Blasting up 8% grades in 118 deg. AZ - no Issues ) It'll almost be a visual graph will enable me to get level "perfect". And from what I v'e learned, if you can't get it virtually "perfect" - have Dealer do it. I don't like nor trust Dealers is why I become a stickler on this . :lolling: 3/9/2018

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

No offense.

But thank god I have the first generation.

It's literally like changing the oil and checking the dipstick without the filter.

The new procedure looks like a pain in the a$$.

The transmission drain and fill literally fixed how the car drove overnight.

Gone were the rumble strip sensation & gears slipping which caused it to hesitate really badly. Jerkiness was pronounced!

Drives like new now. Big difference.

If I knew earlier what I knew now, I would have changed this fluid more often.

Transmission failure is probably higher than motor oil related failure.

I still have a dozen bottles of cvt fluid for future use.

It's so easy to change anyways.

I actually drained and filled 4 times already and dropped the pan twice. Strainer once.

Only 80,000 miles on my rogue too.

It's a must do project for these cvt's.

Or let the dealership do it.

macgiver

mac , yeah casperfun - if everybody took care of their CVT like you do , half the posts on here wouldn't exist . :crazy: 4 times in 80K , I'll bet you feel a difference ! :yesnod

casperfun

Yah ocd kicked in.

I followed the Honda auto transmission drain & fill schedule.

To dilute all the old fluid out the best as I can in the beginning.

Get all fluid out of torque converter etc.

It was like st. Patrick's in there by time I was done.

Probably not necessary, everyone could probably do it between oil changes once in awhile.

But I will probably keep my vehicle until it's last dying breath.

Or just change every 40-50k is fine too, just change it.

Lifetime fluid it aint.

Cuz dealers prefer u buy new vehicles instead of it lasting really long !

macgiver

mac :dblthumb:

TheScarletRogue

what is the temp the trans needs to be at? I am finding conflicting information. about how many qts per drain and fill?

chunt5

The correct information that you are looking for can be found in the official Nissan service manual.
Here is the link that you need:
http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual? ... 20Rogue/tm (page 189). Reading through this procedure will be helpful.
The check temperature range at the overflow plug is 35° to 45°C and the drain/refill is also listed at approximately 3 1/8 US quarts.

TheScarletRogue

I seen a video today where a guy got a dip stick from an older gen Nissan then his, (Altima I think). When that same model came with dip sticks and his newer gen didnt.
Anyways, he got the dip stick and managed to get a read on the CVT fluid with the car running to see what it was on the dipstick at the correct level b4 he drained so he would know where it should be after refilling.

do the second gen Rogues share a model CVT with another Nissan that had a dip stick? It wouldnt save much work, but if there could be a dip stick it would be nice to be able to monitor the fluid level periodically.

chunt5

The first generation Rogue has a CVT dipstick. I tried one on my 2018 Rogue and it turned out to be too short. I then tried a 2010 Altima 2.5 dipstick and it was a little too long but could be used as you described above. I modified it so that it would work some what correctly on my Rogue.
This weekend I was looking on a website that I had visited before with no luck finding a second generation dipstick. This time I found that they listed parts for Rogues manufactured in the 3 different countries. It showed no dipsticks for US and Japan manufactured 2nd gen. Rogues but it did list a part number for a CVT dipstick for Rogues made in Korea as mine is. I ordered one and will post results.
Web site: https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/
Part I ordered from ebay: 31086-5HA0A

datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

I figured out why there ain't no dipstick for the 2nd gens.... Lets all give a thanks to cooperate for making stupid decisions. This move was basically them wanting to suck out more money from the owners in the service department, just like how BMW did with the 2008 3 series for the engine oil dipstick (if any of ya can recall).

Any one knows if a Honda ATF Dipstick fits in the CVT fluid check area?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Amen to that last post. All the OEMs are doing it, from the unitizing of parts thing to talking to all electrical in CAN so as to keep the general public from figuring it out to have to go dealer. As far as my concern the new fuel saving motor oils are more of the same thing.

All carefully calculated to make you take cars to dealerships only and at the same time wear the cars out faster since the modern ECM made every car capable of 300K miles, that does NOT sell enough cars, so now they have come up with ways around that. With Ford, who I just left after 35 years, it's now rigging the cars to break every possible thing as 'nuisance breakages', the engines and transmissions don't break, but rest of car does a piece at a time to make you both buy many new parts that never got bought in 75 years previously and to make the owners get so fed up they buy a new car simply over all the small breakages. New to Nissan but definitely beginning to see a lot of the same here too.

casperfun

Not only that.

In a good way you can blame what you are using now to post.

The internet.

Helpful car forums... :chuckle:

And youtube.

If not for all that.

I would not have been able to do so much work on a vehicle.

Use to be just oil changes for the weekend mechanic but not anymore.

If u know your way around a car of course, then dealers lost alot of work.

Kinda feel sorry for dealerships. NOT!

It's not like today's drivers are dying off and that's it.

The human race will always continue and need transportation.

Always some kid getting a license and needs a car etc.

Its just car makers getting greedy especially with a glut of oil now.

No reason for a car in the 60's to last longer then today's vehicle considering all the advancement.

TheScarletRogue

every time I try to DL the service manual it tells me "You don't have permission to access /FSM/Rogue/2015 Rogue/ on this server." but thats ok. Chunt5 about how much too long was the dip stick from the Altima?

chunt5

TheScarletRogue wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 am
every time I try to DL the service manual it tells me "You don't have permission to access /FSM/Rogue/2015 Rogue/ on this server." but thats ok. Chunt5 about how much too long was the dip stick from the Altima?
Strange you cannot get into the service manual section. I do know you have to be completely logged in to the forum to access the manual which is strange process on this forum. Anyway the 2.5 Altima dipstick is about 7/8 inch too long to get a correct reading (the length of the locking device on the top of the dipstick). I filled in the locking device with a piece of a large pencil eraser (cut to fit) and made the readings on the dipstick really close. I should be getting the (hopefully) correct dipstick by tomorrow and I will post the results. With the modification the fluid was at the full line on my dipstick with the fluid temperature at 72°C.

chunt5

I ordered what I had hoped would be the correct CVT dipstick for our Rogues. Unfortunately Nissan is on to the issue and sent the part number that I ordered but it was just the cap for the dipstick tube and not the complete dipstick. I will continue to use the past generation Altima 2.5 modified cvt dipstick.

TheScarletRogue

ok good to know chunt5, the Altima 2.5 is better then nothing. I can do the drain and fill to specs and in between check the levels. It is just really dumb that a company that has a, some times "questionable" history/rumor of "not the greatest" CVT wouldnt give you a way to check to fluid in between. oh well.

TheScarletRogue

actually if you could give me the length of the Altima dipstick, I will look for aftermarket options. If I find any that are suitable then I will post results.

chunt5

TheScarletRogue wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:00 am
actually if you could give me the length of the Altima dipstick, I will look for aftermarket options. If I find any that are suitable then I will post results.
The length of the Altima dipstick that goes into the tube is 22 5/8 inches. As I stated previously this dipstick is very close when the locking part of the top is completely blocked. It doesn't go all the way in then. And by turning it 180° in can be inserted all the way when not being used for measuring.
The part number for the Altima dipstick is 31086-JA00A and I ordered mine on ebay.

TheScarletRogue

Okay so, I will see if I can find an aftermarket/universal replacement dip stick at about 21 or 22 inches long and see if I can use it and the stock plug to make a dip stick. Or maybe even get an Altima one and use our plug to make a functional dip stick. ether way I will see what I can do and report back ASAP.

TheScarletRogue

Ok so after looking around online a bit I found that Dorman makes a "universal dipstick" it actually looks a bit junkie. It comes with an adjustable stopper for its intended use. I intend to look for it at the cheapest price I can get it and take it, measure, mark and cut it to the length I need it and use the stock plug to make the new handle. that is the plan at least. The item is Dorman 65116 Misc. Dipstick.

TheScarletRogue

UPDATE: Ok so I ordered and got in the universal dipstick, it is actually kinda heavy and made of a rather firm, thick metal. I measured the length of it to be a little over 22in Used a ruler I had siting around so it was not precise. It did fit, I had to bend it a little but it did work and gave me a reading w/o engine running.

{Make a note means measure from bottom to the spot the fluid is at and @ what temp}
Now I had driven around town but some time over the next few weeks I am going to get a reading at ambient temp and see what it is. w/engine running and set it for about mid way and make a note of it in a note book.

Than on another day (when I can get use of a IR thermometer) bring it up to temp and check it again (see how much of a diff it is) and set that for the FULL mark, make note in the note book.

Let it cool over night and get a reading w/engine running (cold) and make a note of where it is.
[will have a cold not running noted, a cold running temp noted and a hot (between 95f and 113f) noted and marked.

{get cold and "@ temp" dialed in}

then experiment, eventually do a test starting at the lowest hot temp the 95F and check it at the highest hot temp 113f maybe add a mark for the lower hot temp if there is a big enough diff to notice.

I am currently also looking for an ELM 327 and the app CVTz50 to check the readed temp of the fluid and compare it to the IR thermometer reading and see how far, if any they, differ. (unless some one has already done so and can enlighten me with the results?) .

for now I think this is it, if I stumble across and issue with any of this I will come back here and let every one know.

FrontierSE4x4

Hi all. 2014 Rogue SL here. How do you get the transmission dip stick cap off? What is the trick?

mmahmad
Car: Nissan Rogue 2015 SV
Nissan Sentra 2006 S

FrontierSE4x4 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:04 am
Hi all. 2014 Rogue SL here. How do you get the transmission dip stick cap off? What is the trick?
I am also having the same issue. It is not like other dipstick which gets off with flat head screw driver. It do not have any place to insert flat head. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank You

chunt5

mmahmad wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 pm
FrontierSE4x4 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:04 am
I am also having the same issue. It is not like other dipstick which gets off with flat head screw driver. It do not have any place to insert flat head. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank You
Removing the dipstick cap is not real easy. The way I have done it was to stick a "small" flat blade screw driver in the locking part from below and force it off. This tends to break the very small piece of plastic (tab) on the inside that does the locking, I have done this 3 times and have not damaged the cap but it does make it easier to remove the next time. Once removed make sure all of the plastic locking tab is gone.

mmahmad
Nissan Sentra 2006 S

Hey Chunt5,

Thanks for the tip. Did you drained your rogue 2018 cgt fluid your self or took it to some mechanic or dealer ? How was your experience ?

chunt5

mmahmad wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:32 am
Hey Chunt5,

Thanks for the tip. Did you drained your rogue 2018 cgt fluid your self or took it to some mechanic or dealer ? How was your experience ?
I have not done a drain refill on the Rogue yet. I removed the cap so I add a small amount so I could check the level. I had an Altima that came from the factory with the fluid about 10 oz. low and it caused some problems. I plan on doing the first drain refill at 30K and I don't foresee any problems. I have an app on my phone that monitors the CVT fluid temperature.

mmahmad
Nissan Sentra 2006 S

chunt5 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:44 pm
mmahmad wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:32 am
Hey Chunt5,

I have not done a drain refill on the Rogue yet. I removed the cap so I add a small amount so I could check the level. I had an Altima that came from the factory with the fluid about 10 oz. low and it caused some problems. I plan on doing the first drain refill at 30K and I don't foresee any problems. I have an app on my phone that monitors the CVT fluid temperature.
Thanks for the update. I did that over the weekend for my Rogue 2015 SV my self. The Fluid came out was about 4 Qt so I just pored in the same quantity. I changed the fluid on the normal temperature and refill on same one. This was the first time the Fluid been changed and was quick Brown ( though no burn smell) but as its been done on 79 K miles. I am planing to do it again after around 10 K miles so the max old one came out.

J.bow87
Car: 2012 Nissan Rogue S, AWD.

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased my (new to me) 2012 Nissan Rogue S, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner just changed oil and that's it. It now has 65K, and I'm about to change out the CVT fluid. I'm not only going to drain and fill it, but change out both filters (pan filter, and cooler filter). I was feeling pretty confident for next weekend to do it, as my CVT fluid arrived in the mail, and the filters and the pan & drain plug gasket are expected to arrive tomorrow.

I was feeling pretty confident after reading the diy post (https://forums.nicoclub.com/cvt-transmi ... 72758.html), but after seeing ONDEMAND5 and the factory service manual stating the trans capacity being 8 3/4 qt - 9 qt's, I'm a little concerned that I don't have enough fluid once I open up the cooling system lines.

Can anyone confirm that 5 qt's is enough? I don't want to open the system and realize I don't have enough and delay the Rouge 2 weeks as I have to wait for more fluid to arrive in the mail. (I'm stationed overseas and it takes about 2 weeks for military mail to arrive).

Return to “Rogue Forum”