Play DVD's on Nav Screen ('09 - '11)

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
deedee1023

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just purchased a new 2009 Murano LE and with the dual moonroof the entertainment unit isn't available. My question to anyone that may know...can a entertainment system be installed in the headrest or any other place?Any assistance would be mostly appreciated. : Gino

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

deedee1023 wrote:-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just purchased a new 2009 Murano LE and with the dual moonroof the entertainment unit isn't available. My question to anyone that may know...can a entertainment system be installed in the headrest or any other place?Any assistance would be mostly appreciated. : Gino
Welcome to NICOclub fellow Wisconsinite! Glad to have you here in the Murano Forum.

Yes, there are countless aftermarket options for installing entertainment systems in the headrests. The other thing you can do if you get a DVD player is to have the DVD play on your front Nav screen. You can easily mod this so that you can watch the DVD on the Nav screen while you are actually driving, thus allowing a passenger in the front seat to also be able to watch the front screen. Let me know if you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

deedee1023

First and farmost...thank you for your assistance. You have really peaked my interest especially when you referance the DVD in the Nav. System. Can you share with me any very good aftermarket DVD system that would meet this need and headrest as well? Are you familiar with Rosen Entertainment System? Please advise.

Gino

Timmbo

deedee1023 wrote:First and farmost...thank you for your assistance. You have really peaked my interest especially when you referance the DVD in the Nav. System. Can you share with me any very good aftermarket DVD system that would meet this need and headrest as well? Are you familiar with Rosen Entertainment System? Please advise.

Gino
I think what I would do is go to a reputable aftermarket/custom automobile place and see what they think and what options they have available. The Murano is already set up to play video that is connected to the Audio/Video Inputs located on the back of the center console, the problem is from the factory the video will only play on the Nav screen while the vehicle is in Park, with the E-Brake on. You need to install two relays in the Speed Sensor Wire and the E-Brake Wire coming out of the back of your stereo. When you install the relay with a switch, it allows you at the flip of a switch to switch from Nav to DVD on the front screen. It also allows you to use your entire Navigation Menu while the vehicle is moving.

deedee1023

Awsume, how did you become so informitive?

Timmbo

deedee1023 wrote:Awsume, how did you become so informitive?
I guess it is my love for Nissan and Infiniti vehicles! I did the same mod on my '04 QX56, just did it on my '08 Armada. Not going to invest in DVD on the Murano since we have it on the Armada, and the guys in the EX35 Forum have done the mod on their EX's.

Someone has to be here to help a brotha out! LOL

deedee1023

Here is my current dilima. Spoke with a few aftermarket companies about the installation of DVD into my Nav system and they all want my business but they are "afraid" to do the work with some fear of it may come back and bite them dowm the road. I assured them that would not be the case.

Would by any strectch would you know of someone that would make the installation? would pay whatever to have it done. please advise.

Timmbo

Just a thought, did you tell them you would be willing to sign a waiver for the install, or off them to pay cash for just that part of the install?

deedee1023

No I did not think of that and that places a different perspected on it. As usual you have all of the ideas and answers.

Thanks!

Timmbo

deedee1023 wrote:No I did not think of that and that places a different perspected on it. As usual you have all of the ideas and answers.

Thanks!
Well, I wouldn't go that far, but my wife says that I have a way of finding many different angles towards solving an issue or selling her on something I want. LOL

KJSmitty
Car: 2009 LE

Sir Timmbo,

Could you provide any more detail on the relay(s)/mod required to allow a passenger to watch the front screen while the 09 Mo is moving etc.?

How does one go about locating both the parking brake "ground" circuit and the other speed sensor wire going to/from the head unit - do you have to remove the head unit or can it be accessed under dash in a harness etc.?

I have a non-navi 09 LE.

Cheers

Timmbo

KJSmitty wrote:Sir Timmbo,

Could you provide any more detail on the relay(s)/mod required to allow a passenger to watch the front screen while the 09 Mo is moving etc.?

How does one go about locating both the parking brake "ground" circuit and the other speed sensor wire going to/from the head unit - do you have to remove the head unit or can it be accessed under dash in a harness etc.?

I have a non-navi 09 LE.

Cheers
When I did this mod, I purchased the relays pre-wired with the switch from a gentleman named Shane. He owns a company called Tintmasters in the Dakotas. He will be posting a message soon here, but if you would like to order the relays with the switch (including detailed instructions), please e-mail him at: [email protected] He charges about $50 (includes shipping) and trust me, this makes it an extremely easy mod to perform!

The wires you need to tap into are on the back of the stereo. So ideally you would like to view a service manual for the '09 Murano. The manual will also tell you exactly which wire is the speed sense. wire and which one is the e-brake. I performed this mod on my '08 Armada, and if you go to the EX35 Forum, there are many there that have done this to their EX's, all three of these vehicles have the same stereo and audio video unit.

Timmbo

Check out the thread here if you would like to order the relay pack pre-wired and ready to be easily installed.

zerothread/301458

Timmbo

Also, we now have the service manual available for the '09 Murano. This will show you where the VSS wire is and the E-Brake wire. It will also show you how to pull out the audio system.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/murano/

KJSmitty

You're the man Timmbo,

After reading through the threads you/others linked as well as the posted Tech manual I have a grasp on this task. Now I just need a few hrs with the wife's Mo when she's not looking.... - She's not so hip on this mod however, she would like it during our long trips when she is in the passenger seat etc..

After studying the system, a single < $5 DPDT (double pole, double throw) rocker switch will do the trick. Mount it over on the lower left dash area in one of the blanks. With a properly wired DPDT rocker switch, one position maintains the stock configuration/curciut while the other position will ground the brake leads and disconnect the speed sensor.

Again, Many thanks Timmbo for your time and for this sites wealth of information

Cheers

Timmbo

Hey, no problem at all, that is why I am here. Let us know how things work out and be sure to let keep us posted of any speed bumps along the way.

deedee1023

Timmbo:

I wished I had one fourth of the mecanical fortitude you and KJ have in your pinky finger Some can and some just aren't mechanically inclined.

Considering you are just a two hour drive from me here in Milwaukee I was just wondering what's the possabilty of me hiring you (at the price you feel comfortable with) to perform this service on my Murano?

Again if you would strongly consider doing such I could bring it rent a car and perhaps hang out in Green Bay all day in necessary?

You have no idea how much I would like to get it done I just haven't been very successful with finding anyone to do the job.

Coincedently,, I will be in Green Bay tomorrow at a Christmas debriefing meeting at the Green Bay Processing and Distribution Center on Packer Drive I can be reached at 414-397-7725 anytime.

Wiley Carter

Senior, Manager Distribution Operation

Milwaukee Processing & Distribution Center

Lakeland District

Timmbo

deedee1023 wrote:Timmbo:

I wished I had one fourth of the mecanical fortitude you and KJ have in your pinky finger Some can and some just aren't mechanically inclined.

Considering you are just a two hour drive from me here in Milwaukee I was just wondering what's the possabilty of me hiring you (at the price you feel comfortable with) to perform this service on my Murano?

Again if you would strongly consider doing such I could bring it rent a car and perhaps hang out in Green Bay all day in necessary?

You have no idea how much I would like to get it done I just haven't been very successful with finding anyone to do the job.

Coincedently,, I will be in Green Bay tomorrow at a Christmas debriefing meeting at the Green Bay Processing and Distribution Center on Packer Drive I can be reached at 414-397-7725 anytime.

Wiley Carter

Senior, Manager Distribution Operation

Milwaukee Processing & Distribution Center

Lakeland District
I will do what I can to help you out, I don't want to see you hangin' on this one. You can trust me on this, I am not a car audio expert installer by any means, I just know how to allow your vehicle to watch video on the front screen white you are driving. Here is the deal, you need to get someone to do the work of installing the DVD player into your car and getting your additional headrest moniter(s) installed (assuming you still want an additional screen). Make sure you tell whoever is doing the work that you want the DVD player connected to the Audio/Video Inputs located on the back of your center console. Once you get that done, I can assist you in getting the front screen to be usable while the vehicle is driving. I can get you the relay pack needed, and show you exactly what needs to be done. If you don't feel comfortable doing that once I get you the instructions, then maybe we can work something out. Let me know what your thoughts/concerns are and we can go from there. I already know which wires the relay pack would have to be installed on (same as my '08 Armada), in the mean time I will also check the service manual on how to get to the back of the stereo head unit. So why do you want the DVD so bad anyway, lot of passengers? Enjoy your ride up to G.B. tomorrow in your Murano!

deedee1023

Timmbo:

Here's the deal...I intiatally want the DVD in the headrest ( don't have any kids) but after you shared with me about the option of having it in the front that made me forget about the rear.

My Murano LE 2009 has the Nav system and I would truley rather have the front screen for my wife to view considering I just bought this crossover for "weekend trips" with her.

I can/would send you the money (however you like) to get the relay pack and any other parts necessary.

It's quite apparent to me you know how to get this task done and I want you to find time in your schedule to do this for me.

Thanks in advance and hopefully I will hear from you soon.

Wiley

Timmbo

Wiley,

You can communicate with me via e-mail, [email protected] Our conversations don't add to the Forum at this point, I will send you an e-mail.

Timm

KJSmitty

OK all,

I just performed this mod to allow front screen video while driving - for the passengers viewing pleasure and to get at controls normally not accessible while moving. I don't have nav so mine are few yet those that do have nav could really benefit from this mod.

First and again, thanks to Timmbo for all of his assistance towards this effort.

Now, I performed numerous custom stereo/video mods as a young guy and have continued to mod my and friends vehicles to this day. Thus I do have a good background in this area and a massive "if there's a way, I will find it" attitude...

With that said, I can honestly tell you this is one of the easiest mods to perform in regards to interior removal, getting at the harness - and performing the wiring on the 09 Mo. All of the interior trim/audio controls and control units come off and out with ease. The removal of all required items, wiring and re-installation etc took all of about one hour. 15 minutes of that was me very methodically studying the harness/connector to ensure I had the "correct" harness-connector/wires prior to cutting.

Now, Timmbo mentioned the use of the gentlemen's $50 pre-wired relays. Please Timmbo, don't take this wrong because the relay(s) work, yet aren't required and are about $45 more than one needs to spend on this mod. My way is just another idea and by no means am I stating its better - just less costly and less wiring/power required etc. My single rocker switch method also allows you to return to the OEM configuration. In the off position, everything is "normal" operation. Once my switch is turned on, the parking brake circuit is disconnected and goes to ground at the control unit and the speed sensor is disconnected at the control unit. It's as easy and simple as that.- One of the threads stated both the parking brake and speed sensor had to be grounded at the control unit. Studying the tech manual this was unclear, yet it did appear that as long as no power was input to the audio controller from the speed sensor wire, the video would play. IE - 0 volts video played, voltage between 1-12 volts would stop the video. Reading this I decided not to ground the speed sensor rather just have it disconnected with my switch in the on position etc.. This appears to work perfectly. -- PLEASE, if someone has the exact answer let us know - as in, should the speed sensor be disconnected AND grounded at the audio control unit.

I did take numerous pictures along my hour long journey yet have no idea how to post them with descriptions etc.. I would gladly expand on my post here with the pictures as a good 2009 Mo DIY if anyone wants etc., - but I would need an assist.

Again, I give this mod a "2" on a 1 - 10 (10 being darn hard/difficult-technical). Most anyone that has tinkered with their cars can perform it.

Thanks again Timmbo and all involved.

Smitty

Timmbo

The problem is if you did have the Nav, your map would never leave one location because the Nav would not realize the vehicle is moving, that is why you have to be able to flip back and forth from the "Mod" position to the stock position.

KJSmitty

Timmbo wrote:The problem is if you did have the Nav, your map would never leave one location because the Nav would not realize the vehicle is moving, that is why you have to be able to flip back and forth from the "Mod" position to the stock position.
With a double pole double throw switch (quite common), mine does just that - "Stock" in the "off" position, video while driving in the "on/mod" position etc.. Nothing else besides the switch wired between the two - 106/107 wires from the harness then a single wire from the switch to ground. Even if one does need to ground the speed sensor terminal that can be accomplished via the same. It's just nice not to have to mount and/or power the relays/switch etc. For example, google DPDT rocker switches. Now days you can get switches in all sizes, colors and "pole/throw" configuration. What took a relay before can now be accomplished with one switch given the fact it can manipulate two (or more), completely independent circuits at the same time/switch position (As long as you are not utilizing a relay to isolate a low and high amp circuit etc.).

Using a single pole (single action) switch would definitely require the double relay route.

I'll post my pics and DYI when I have time to figure out how etc.

Cheers

Timmbo

Correct me if I am wrong, but basically one switch flips both the VSS and the E-Brake at the same time?

KJSmitty

Timmbo wrote:Correct me if I am wrong, but basically one switch flips both the VSS and the E-Brake at the same time?
Correct.

Internally a DPDT switch is split into two independent switches. And the switch that I am using is actually an "on - on" switch, even though the labeling is on/off. This allows for many different connection possibilities allowing control of more than one required action from two sources etc..

Just another way of doing it as is the relays.

Cheers

Musky300
Car: 2009 Murano LE

Would the wiring be the same if it is a Nav system?

I would love to do this on my 2009 LE, but my electrical expertise basically stops at plugging something into an outlet.

If detailed instructions (with pictures) along with exactly what you need to buy is included...I'm sure I could build up the courage.

BTW...if I have NAV...and the system is flipped "off" so you could use the search functions that are blocked when driving, wouldn't it then be counterproductive because the Nav system thinks you aren't moving so you would have to base your location off of where you were when you flipped the system off?

Timmbo

Musky300 wrote:Would the wiring be the same if it is a Nav system?

I would love to do this on my 2009 LE, but my electrical expertise basically stops at plugging something into an outlet.

If detailed instructions (with pictures) along with exactly what you need to buy is included...I'm sure I could build up the courage.

BTW...if I have NAV...and the system is flipped "off" so you could use the search functions that are blocked when driving, wouldn't it then be counterproductive because the Nav system thinks you aren't moving so you would have to base your location off of where you were when you flipped the system off?
The service manual makes it much easier. YES, this mod DOES allow you to enter destinations and access other options while the vehicle is moving! It is a wonderful mod!

KJSmitty

Musky300 wrote:Would the wiring be the same if it is a Nav system?

Same two circuits regarding the parking brake and speed sensor, just different wire numbers in what looks like a different harness. Go to the post above where Timmbo has linked the Mo Tech Manuals. Download the 2009 "VP" and "IP" files. Start on page 647 of the VP - That is the bose with Navi. Find terminals 36 and 38. The (G) and (V) stand for the color of the wire - Green and Violet etc.. Then go to page 665 of the VP and find connector "M145, The picture of the connector is if you are looking at the back of the connector with the wires coming at you - thus 36 and 38 are on the top row near the middle etc. Those are the two wires you need to "mod" on the back of the AV control unit. The IP manual/section describes the removal of parts/components etc..If I had a personal "gallery" I would upload my pictures.. :-(

As for the navi thinking it's not moving - that is why you want either the relay/switch or DPDT switch so you can turn the nav back to "stock" after adjusting the settings etc - all while still driving SAFELY.. :-)

Cheers

Bunshaw
Car: '09 Nissan Murano SL FWD

KJSmitty wrote:If I had a personal "gallery" I would upload my pictures.. :-(
Are you not able to create an account at a site like photobucket.com and upload the pictures there?

Timmbo

Bunshaw wrote:
Are you not able to create an account at a site like photobucket.com and upload the pictures there?
The service manual is actually very clear as to which wires are the VSS and the E-Brake.....probably even better than any pictures that someone might post, just my opinion.

Return to “Murano Forum”