Platforms.

NICO's V.I.P. styling forum.
jltibbs
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa SL
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Here are some platforms to base VIP from. Keep in mind that you can style virtually any car to look VIP, but unless you have the platform, it is strictly considered 'VIP style'

US

G50 - 90-96 Infiniti Q45FY33 - 97-01 Infiniti Q45F50 - 02-06 Infiniti Q45Y34 - 03-04 Infiniti M45Y50- 06-Present Infiniti M35/45

Japan

HG50 - 90-96 Infiniti Q45JHG50/PHG50 - 90-00 Nissan President (J=Short/P= Long)FY33 - 97-01 Nissan Cedric/GloriaF50 - 02-06 Nissan CimaPGF50 - 01-06 Nissan PresidentGNF50 - 01-06 Nissan Cima (AWD)HF50 - 01-06 Nissan Cima (NEO VQ30DET)Y34 - 03-04 Nissan Cedric/GloriaY50 - 04-Present Nissan Fuga

If there are more, post them up so I can add them. Please list the chassis code, make, model, years, and whether its stateside, Japan, or both.

Thanks for any more information!

ca18tt1978
Car: 1991 240sx/180sx ca18det swap

"VIP car starts with just that, the platform or the car. Its not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these cars. From Toyota, you have the Century, Celsior, Aristo, Crown, and Majesta. From Nissan you have the President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric, and the Q45."

The Toyota ones are mostly Lexus here in the states but since this is a nissan/infiniti forum we dont need to go there.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Yeah, I was going to list them, but I felt there really was no need. If someone comes here looking for that info, I would be guessing that they were in the wrong place to begin with.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

jltibbs wrote:Here are some platformsUS

Y33 - 97-01 Infiniti Q45

Japan

FY33 - 97-01 Nissan Cima

Thanks for any more information!
Actually, the Y33 is a Cedric/Gloria that was never imported to the US and never available with the VH41DE.

The second generation Q45 is based on the JDM FY33 and is refererenced as FY33 (FSM) or FGY33 (USM parts manual).

Be sure to check your facts in one of the original Q45 Forums as we are all about accuracy and performance.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

maxnix wrote:Actually, the Y33 is a Cedric/Gloria that was never imported to the US and never available with the VH41DE.
You have more knowledge on this than I will probably ever have.This is what I found, and most of the info I have gathered shows the 97-01 Q45 hosting the VH41DE.

VH41DE

The VH41DE is a 4.1 liter V8 that was based on the VH45DE. The bore of 93 mm remained but the stroke was shortened to 76 mm. Power output for the new engine was 266 hp (198 kW) at 5600 rpm and 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) at 4000 rpm.

The 4.1 L VH41DE was used in the following vehicles:

* 1997-2001 Infiniti Q45, 266 hp (198 kW), 278 lb·ft (377 N·m) * 1992-1993 Nissan Leopard, 270 hp (201 kW) 370,69 nm
maxnix wrote:The second generation Q45 is based on the JDM FY33 and is referenced as FY33 (FSM) or FGY33 (USM parts manual).
Changed.
maxnix wrote:Be sure to check your facts in one of the original Q45 Forums as we are all about accuracy and performance.
Once again, just posting what I have found. Thanks for the information. I know there is a lot more we can learn from you, but i know you will not be in this area that much. I do respect your knowledge very much and hope that when you do come across something wrong you will help keep us on our toes.

Thanks again, Brian.

MadmikeX3
Car: 1990 240sx SRBLKTOP With a potatoe

Hmmm i Beg to differ. I think My VIPish 240 vert is coming along great. But theres going to be some huge changes once I get home In november.

yokota180sx
Car: 1997 Stagea RS4, r34 front

maxnix wrote:Actually, the Y33 is a Cedric/Gloria that was never imported to the US and never available with the VH41DE.

The second generation Q45 is based on the JDM FY33 and is refererenced as FY33 (FSM) or FGY33 (USM parts manual).

Be sure to check your facts in one of the original Q45 Forums as we are all about accuracy and performance.
ughACTUALLY your wrong mostly

the Gloria Cedric you are referring to is NOT just Y33 either.

It is rather wahtever before the y (throw in some random e, h, and ****) designating it as a Cedric, Gloria, or yes, even the revered Loepard. Which is, a Y33

also, the Cima, is indeed a Y33..be it FG or Fy33, its STILL a Y33, and is referred to in japan, as such. Not FGy33.....its said to be a Y33 Cima...

Y33 is ONLY a chassis designation, and nothign more.THe cedric, gloria, leopard, and cima, all share that designation.and the glorias and cedrics and leopards wer avaliable with an AWD RB25 Variant as well....but i have yet to see one in person.

Now, stfu and dont correct anyone else in this section

its not about US predomionantlyits about the trends, names, and customs brought to the US from Japan VIP style

Modified by yokota180sx at 11:46 PM 4/22/2008
Modified by yokota180sx at 12:12 AM 4/23/2008

dickie
Car: Killer Turtle

so can a JZX81 be VIP or is it a no-go?

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Thanks for the clarification Grant. Glad to see we have that clear.
d!ck wrote:so can a JZX81 be VIP or is it a no-go?
MadmikeX3 wrote:Hmmm i Beg to differ. I think My VIPish 240 vert is coming along great. But theres going to be some huge changes once I get home In november.
jltibbs wrote:Here are some platforms to base VIP from. Keep in mind that you can style virtually any car to look VIP, but unless you have the platform, it is strictly considered 'VIP style'
ca18tt1978 wrote:"VIP car starts with just that, the platform or the car. Its not a VIP Car unless it starts with one of these cars. From Toyota, you have the Century, Celsior, Aristo, Crown, and Majesta. From Nissan you have the President, Cima, Gloria, Cedric, and the Q45."

The Toyota ones are mostly Lexus here in the states but since this is a nissan/infiniti forum we dont need to go there.

dickie

i read that, obviously something like this is only based on the interpretation of someone without qualification from any objective authority.

so i guess what i'm saying is, where is the official VIP directive or source text you pull the info from, or how do you back up your designation of what is VIP when it is called into question?

yokota180sx

its more of an accept what the peopl ein the know tell you

there is no book on vip. well there might be but you cant read it because its in Japanese. I mean, yeah, youc an call whatever you want VIP. But then the Nihonjin guys are going to laugh at you, or a real vip enthusiast like me.

If its not big, have V8 or a turbo V6, 4 doors, and the main aero companies dont make aero for it...its not VIP.

Thats a small very small rule of thumb normally.

yokota180sx

oh, and Fuga is not a VIP chassis

dickie

k, someone want to post a source for their info?

Garson, Wald, Junction Produce, etc... produce items for German manufacturer cars, Avance etc... produce VIP products for cars other than the chassis types listed here. VIP style clubs and gatherings in and outside of Japan include other cars as well. Maybe it would be a good idea for you to explain your criteria.

yokota180sx

dont need to, you can search and find it.

Junction produce owner wrote an article in superstreet a while back. i dont havea link to a scan but its around.

i really dont feel the need to explain it lol

dickie

so its all based on interpretation by random people?

yokota180sx

not reallyits determined by japan...not the US

ok, ill stop being an ***

Its not in a book like a drift bible that tells you what is right and what is wrong, it is just what is generally accepted here in japan.

its mainly all the huge flagships from the 1970s and 80s that were made as top of hte line cars for the makers like Cima, cedric, gloria, celsior, crown, etc etc etc

the owner of junctin produce laid out in a few articles what the VIP definition was in japan....which he should know since junction produce is a huge name in teh VIp world to begin with, and that is the reference everyone else uses.

I personally think a large number of cars should be added to the list such as the 300s, but the hardcore vip guys woudl have nothign to do with it.

it all depends on if you really like VIP, or if your a poser.

if your a poser, you think a cresta, or your 240 can be VIP.

dickie

i think i understand better now. thanks.

so some VIP-styled cars aren't necessarily actual VIP?

yokota180sx

well,

VIP is defined as a few chassis including but not limited to (i forget a few everytime)aristocrownmajesta (yeah they are diff)cedriccimagloria and my mind is blank

but there are really like 10 cars that are industry recognized as True VIp from the roots.

EVERYTHING else....is VIP style.

Haitian_King
Car: 1992 Black Infiniti Q45 /w TCS
1995 Black Infiniti Q45

yokota180sx wrote:
ughACTUALLY your wrong mostly

the Gloria Cedric you are referring to is NOT just Y33 either.

It is rather wahtever before the y (throw in some random e, h, and ****) designating it as a Cedric, Gloria, or yes, even the revered Loepard. Which is, a Y33

also, the Cima, is indeed a Y33..be it FG or Fy33, its STILL a Y33, and is referred to in japan, as such. Not FGy33.....its said to be a Y33 Cima...

Y33 is ONLY a chassis designation, and nothign more.THe cedric, gloria, leopard, and cima, all share that designation.and the glorias and cedrics and leopards wer avaliable with an AWD RB25 Variant as well....but i have yet to see one in person.

Now, stfu and dont correct anyone else in this section

its not about US predomionantlyits about the trends, names, and customs brought to the US from Japan VIP style

Modified by yokota180sx at 11:46 PM 4/22/2008

Modified by yokota180sx at 12:12 AM 4/23/2008
Oh. Snaps?

Don't know what Brian was doing in here anyway. I thought VIP was considered "Bat Country" to him.

MadmikeX3

call me a poser but VIP to me is making your car clean top of the line and not all made up with go fast parts or Crazy body kits. Most VIP body kits are not crazy. Many I see from Junction produce and other Japanese VIP companies look as if they could have been styled by the factory. Many of which if you did not know you would think so. Although there are some that are crazy wide body kits which are meant for fitting Much larger wheels under them. So if im a poser for making my convertible 240 a "VIP" car then so be it.

Guess that makes me VIP poser #1.Anyone feel free to join the Poser VIP squad

Haitian_King
1995 Black Infiniti Q45

MadmikeX3 wrote:call me a poser but VIP to me is making your car clean top of the line and not all made up with go fast parts or Crazy body kits. Most VIP body kits are not crazy. Many I see from Junction produce and other Japanese VIP companies look as if they could have been styled by the factory. Many of which if you did not know you would think so. Although there are some that are crazy wide body kits which are meant for fitting Much larger wheels under them. So if im a poser for making my convertible 240 a "VIP" car then so be it.

I won't call you a poser.

yokota180sx

MadmikeX3 wrote: Although there are some that are crazy wide body kits which are meant for fitting Much larger wheels under them. So if im a poser for making my convertible 240 a "VIP" car then so be it.

yeahyour the problemw ith VIp in teh US.

ill leave it at that.

TBrack
Car: none

yokota180sx wrote:yeahyour the problemw ith VIp in teh US.

ill leave it at that.
bastardization is a good word

MadmikeX3

O yeah im Sorry I forgot you wrote the book on VIP and you delegate whats right and whats not. My apologize Grand Master VIP.

But Also I do remember that on the May 07 Issue a VIP drift 240sx AKA Vader Vert Showed up on the cover of import Tuner as "VIP Drift" Hence the word "VIP". Now you can call 110octane a poser now too huh? If you don't remember what im talking about heres the link to the Topic for that.zerothread?id=233996

yokota180sx

yepo

complete and total poser for calling a 240 VIp becuase it has a table, and correctly fitting wheels

your dumbstop posting

and who the **** looks at:super streetimport tuneror any other mainstream stupid ****ing magazine for ANY kind of info?

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Alright, so we have determined that a few platforms are considered VIP in Japan. Thus anything else will be considered 'VIP style'. This is no different than when people put body kits on Neons (no offense to anyone who has done so) to look like the 'Fast and Furious'. There are many different styles out there and they all have general guidelines. The sad fact is that even with those 'general guidelines' things change. I'm sure Grant can post up some pics of the real old school VIP stuff. I'm guessing that the styling from then was called 'bozo something or other'. That stuff is way out of what I consider VIP, but once again, I am not a decision maker on what is or is not VIP.

Let's keep this grown up in here guys. No reason for going back and forth about this stuff. Great info from all around and Grant has great 'constructive criticsm'. Keep on postin' up guys!

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

BTW, Grant, do I need to remove the Fuga from the list? I have seen these in VIPcar before. Just figured I would ask so we have the accurate platforms listed.

110octane
Car: VQ35DE powered 240SX Convertible *SOLD*
SR20DET powered S14

I'll chime in now as I am the one who built the problem child so called "VIP Vert".

I would like to set the record straight here and now. I started my 240sx vert project back in late 2005 as I am friends with Mitsuru Haruguchi of 326 Power as well as taketomi san, the president of Junction Produce Japan. Being that I work for Falken Tire I have had the pleasure of working with these guys plus many others in the Japanese tuning culture very closely. I was influenced by both. Falken Tire wanted to offer an alternative to the traditional "VIP" sedan and offer an idea now known as AutoLuxury Style here in the US. That is the premise my car was built on. The best of both worlds so to speak, Sports and Luxury style. We at Falken tire new that the purists would not accept anything other than what Yokota has explained and you can see by his closed mindedness towards anything not pure VIP we were right. So in 2006, Falken Tire debuted the US version of AutoLux or Lux as it's known in Japan in there SEMA booth. Nothing new, just an american twist. It was an immediate hit but it seemed to confuse a lot of people. Especially those new to the whole VIP scene because they couldn't differentiate VIP from AutoLux. To be quite honest, most don't care the difference. At that time Import Tuner mag was loving the trend and decided to shoot my vert. The gal that wrote the article didn't know any better and dubbed the car "VIP Vert" because to her it appeared to have VIP styling (AutoLuxury). By the time I saw the finished product of the cover it was too late to stop the presses. Needless to say I was bummed out but there was nothing I could do. So be it.

For those of you out there that love the VIP look but don't want to build a Japanese sedan check out http://www.autoluxurystyle.com. The site was created by Falken Tire to help the AutoLux fan have a place to chat and hang out as we new closed minded purists would shun the style because it's not true to the VIP form.

Lastly, I love building cars. But somehow the car that I thought would be the most subdued and casual build I've done has turned into quite the disruption in the community. I guess thats what I get for not reading the forums and conforming to what everyone else thinks is "cool". Oh well, love it or hate I am still gonna do my thing and I am sure you all will continue on your paths. Enjoy the hobby and don't criticize others. If you don't like what there doing with their car, so what. Keep your mouth shut and don't do it to yours. Simple as that.

Haitian_King
1995 Black Infiniti Q45

110octane wrote:I'll chime in now as I am the one who built the problem child so called "VIP Vert".

I would like to set the record straight here and now. I started my 240sx vert project back in late 2005 as I am friends with Mitsuru Haruguchi of 326 Power as well as taketomi san, the president of Junction Produce Japan. Being that I work for Falken Tire I have had the pleasure of working with these guys plus many others in the Japanese tuning culture very closely. I was influenced by both. Falken Tire wanted to offer an alternative to the traditional "VIP" sedan and offer an idea now known as AutoLuxury Style here in the US. That is the premise my car was built on. The best of both worlds so to speak, Sports and Luxury style. We at Falken tire new that the purists would not accept anything other than what Yokota has explained and you can see by his closed mindedness towards anything not pure VIP we were right. So in 2006, Falken Tire debuted the US version of AutoLux or Lux as it's known in Japan in there SEMA booth. Nothing new, just an american twist. It was an immediate hit but it seemed to confuse a lot of people. Especially those new to the whole VIP scene because they couldn't differentiate VIP from AutoLux. To be quite honest, most don't care the difference. At that time Import Tuner mag was loving the trend and decided to shoot my vert. The gal that wrote the article didn't know any better and dubbed the car "VIP Vert" because to her it appeared to have VIP styling (AutoLuxury). By the time I saw the finished product of the cover it was too late to stop the presses. Needless to say I was bummed out but there was nothing I could do. So be it.

For those of you out there that love the VIP look but don't want to build a Japanese sedan check out http://www.autoluxurystyle.com. The site was created by Falken Tire to help the AutoLux fan have a place to chat and hang out as we new closed minded purists would shun the style because it's not true to the VIP form.

Lastly, I love building cars. But somehow the car that I thought would be the most subdued and casual build I've done has turned into quite the disruption in the community. I guess thats what I get for not reading the forums and conforming to what everyone else thinks is "cool". Oh well, love it or hate I am still gonna do my thing and I am sure you all will continue on your paths. Enjoy the hobby and don't criticize others. If you don't like what there doing with their car, so what. Keep your mouth shut and don't do it to yours. Simple as that.
Wow. Thanks.

It's like a celebrity. I'm slightly star struck.

jltibbs
1994 Infiniti Q45
2000 Infiniti I30

Well said 110octane. I do appreciate your input on the matter, and anything else you may have to offer. I was unaware of that, though I do recall seeing the from of a mag that said auto lux style with a red or maroon 240 on the cover.

Return to “VIP Forum”