Piston differences: 8port vs. 4 port (JDM vs. Eur-spec)?

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
hd46510

Hey guys, please help :-)
I'm in the progress of rebuilding my first CA18DET, european 4-port version.

Will the japanese(8port engine) pistons fit in the euro-CA18DET engine?
I need to know if i can buy them, as the seem to be available at a good price.

They seem to be pretty much the same, still different partnumbers (12010-56E22(jap) vs. 12010-44F02(euro)).
I think i noticed some small differences around the area of oil squirter recess by comparing my pistons to internet photos of the 8port ones. But part numbers for block, squirters and conrods are the same for JDM and EURO according to FAST.

Are the valve pockets the same?

Thanks in advance!

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

difference-between-8-port-4-port-engine-t475218.html

Looks like the differences are in the head only.

hd46510

Thanks for your answer.
This is strange.
Here i found a picture of the 8 port-piston
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ ... CT5658.jpg (deriving from
this thread

And here is my euro-piston. I already highlighted the area in question.
Image.
Obviously there is a area around the oil quirter recess, where the piston skirt is recessed about 1-2 mm. This area has turned dark from the oil in all those years.
But can't see this area at the 8port pistons. It is a normal piston skirt with only the oil squirters recess.

Is a (japanese?) manual available for the 8 port engine? Maybe it could give answers.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

8 port pistons have the exact same recess. The pistons are the same. Nissan could have changed part numbers for a multitude of reasons, that doesn't mean the parts aren't interchangeable. I'm using a check valve out of a VG30DETT in my CA18DET. They were different part numbers because they were manufactured in a different way, but the dimensions are all identical. I assume the same is true for the EDM vs. JDM pistons. The cranks are the same, the rods are the same, the squirters are the same, the bores are the same, the deck height is the same. Any remaining variables won't effect compatibility.

hd46510

float_6969 wrote:... The cranks are the same, the rods are the same, the squirters are the same, the bores are the same, the deck height is the same. Any remaining variables won't effect compatibility.
Thanks for your input. These were exactly my thoughts.
I think i will give them a try!

Anyone happen to have the 8-port piston specs from a workshop manual?
Will they have the same piston clearance? I think all those manuals online avaible stating 0,015-0,035mm are for the 4-port engine ....

cheers

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

AFAIK, all of the 8 port FSM's for the turbo motor are in Japanese. If someone comes up with one that's not, NICO would love to have it and host it for everyone.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”