I installed this on our 2006 M35 Sport with working Sat & Nav, last week, right before moving to Denver for six months. Some notes to add . . .
First, the instructions for this thing aren't good. The unit seems well-made, and the sound is fantastic, but the instructions are not
going to lead you step-by-step. They are not only poorly written, they're poorly Xeroxed! Fortunately, the instructions seem to be the only part of the package that lacks quality. Here's a link to the PA15-INFI manual (PDF)
I first removed all the push rivets in the trunk but to get the pass-thru fasteners to come out I had to get on the back seat and gently push them free one by one. They go into these slots where the red circles are: (green arrow is where the xm unit is located and the red arrow is where I snaked the cable through)
In our car, those took quite a bit of force to dislodge. First, here's the trunk upper lining out of the car, for reference.
(click on any image for larger
ellis wrote:I did have to take out the back seat. There’s two pull tab/rings. Sit in the back seat and put your hand between your legs. Feel around where the seat meets the carpet – that’s about about where the tabs are. Be sure to not pull hard on these, as they are not designed very well. I grabbed the ring with one hand and the seat bottom with the other and jiggled them both until the seat came loose. After you get the seat bottom out there are four nuts you have to unscrew then just lift the backrest out. The backrest hangs on some L-brackets so you literally have to lift the setback up and then out.
Excellent description, and I'm glad you warned me about the plastic pull tabs that release the front edge of the seat being fragile.
To remove the upper trunk liner, first remove all the push-pin retainers, disconnect the trunk light harness connector from its light socket. The liner won't come out due to the six steel push clips on the pass-through trim on the trunk side.
Working inside the car, you can see the trouble spots:
Here’s the XM Y-harness. I unplugged it by myself. It would be easier with a friend to pull the plug out while you hold the unlock down on the plug with a little screw driver.
I didn't have any trouble, didn't need to press the lock tab with a tool, but you can't see it, it's all Braille.
I routed the PA15 cable off to the passenger's side of the back seat, tucking it behind existing wiring harnesses and panels where possible. There's only one place where I feel that the cable could become pinched, and that's the transition from under the seat to under the carpet going forward. Not a place where there is typically a lot of weight on the forward edge of the seat.
(click on any image for larger
Next, snaking the PA15 cable to the console. Wire coathangers are handy all-purpose tools, aren't they? I straightened one out, bent a loop in one end so it wouldn't snag while pushing it toward the rear seat . . .
. . . then, I removed the cupholder and snaked the coathanger through the console and under the carpet, from the front.
Electrical tape joins the PA15 cable to the snake:
And just a bit of pulling and wiggling, the PA15 cable comes up.
The interface box fits in here. Really.
If you need to change any of the four DIP switches, or if you're connecting a 3.5mm socket to the RCA sockets, now's the time to do it.
If you have the seat temp controls, you'll probably want to unscrew the panel and set it off to the side for this part.
Carefully guide & tuck the interface box to the left of the shifter.
I keep the iPod cable here.
In order to do that, I Dremeled a slot for the iPod cable. I have a Shop-Vac nozzle to the left while cutting the slot, to keep the plastic chaff from going everywhere.
We use it with our iPhones, and it works great. The setup instructions to get the Presets set are . . . well, you have to read them repeatedly for it to make sense. We generally just use the controls on the iPhone instead, but we do have the Presets set too.
It took me around 1.5-2 hours to install, including unloading/reloading the trunk & taking the pics. It took twice that long to make this post! There was about 2' of extra PA15 cable that I nylon-tied into a nice circle and fastened above the Satellite Radio unit.