Outside Thermometer Inaccurate

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nickt
Car: 2011 Rogue

Can anyone tell me where the outside temp sensor is on a 2011 Rogue?
It takes almost 10 mins. to read correctly in the winter coming out of the heated garage.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

The FSM says it is behind the front grille. I am unable to find an exploded parts diagram that shows its position - HAC-114 only says "remove front grille, then disconnect sensor". Grille removal instructions are on EXT-19.

nickt

Townciviian, thanks for the quick answer.
Where are these diagrams you're linking to?, they are perfect.

Towncivilian
Car: 2001.5 Pathfinder SE 3.5L 2WD A/T
2007 Altima 2.5L CVT
2012 Sentra 2.0L CVT Special
2012 G37 Sedan 7A/T

They can be found in the factory service manual. Right click -> save as each PDF into a single folder, then use fwd.pdf to navigate.

nickt

You're a gentleman,a scholar and a fine judge of wine and women!

Qashqai

I love NICO Club and I love the FSM link. My service think I am crazy, and probably hate me...but I don't care. Sometimes I though I know more than them. I am 100 % sure they don't follow those beautifully described stages for most of the repairs/maintenances.

TrevorK
Car: 11 Rogue SV FWD

nickt wrote:Can anyone tell me where the outside temp sensor is on a 2011 Rogue?
It takes almost 10 mins. to read correctly in the winter coming out of the heated garage.
I'm glad it's not just my Rogue that does this!

Cypress_1973
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Premium

My temp sensor never worked properly. It's always 3-4 degrees off. Pick and choose on the high side or low side.

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Cypress_1973 wrote:My temp sensor never worked properly. It's always 3-4 degrees off. Pick and choose on the high side or low side.
Fairly typical (in my experience) for any car -- especially if the vehicle isn't in motion.

Helium2
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Sometimes my outside thermometer reads pretty close to the actual air temp. (2010 SL AWD) but in general it's off anywhere from 5 deg. F to 12 deg. F.
Even after sitting overnight my thermometer will read anywhere from 80 deg. to 85 deg when the air temp is in the mid 90's.
Sometimes it takes an hour or two of constant highway driving before it will register anywhere near correctly. :wtf2:

Last winter, with ice on the hood and windshield, it read in the high 30's. :crazy:

Is there anything I can do to make this useless little gadget more useful?

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

The sensor is located in front of the radiator.
I think it is possible that the heat from the engine is affecting the temperature.
As for the road condition, the temperature can be vary from place to place, especially on roadways, so chances are the temperature reading is correct for that specific location.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

That's a pretty wide margin of error, not to mention the time it takes to correct itself. Mine usually starts out on the high side, but corrects itself within a few minutes, and is reasonably accurate. Here's some info I found interesting...
The thermometer in your car contains basically the same ingredient as a sophisticated weather station: a thermistor. These are highly accurate sensors that produce electricity based on ambient temperature.

The major difference is the environment surrounding the temperature sensor. When we place our weather station sensors, we go to pains to avoid re-radiated heat. So our sensors are solar-shielded and located at least ten feet away from trees, fences, buildings, concrete and asphalt. We also take care not to locate sensors in stagnant air corridors.

Often this means a sensor out on a lawn or dirt, on a post five feet above the ground.

This allows us to meet National Weather Service standards, and the National Weather Service receives data from many of our locations on an hourly basis.

Car thermometers obviously don't operate in this kind of environment. Neither do those bank signs and billboards.

In particular, a car is a very difficult environment for a temperature sensor. That the sensors are located as well as they are are a testament to careful consideration on the part of the engineers. There is engine heat to worry about, plus re-radiated heat from the concrete and asphalt roads, paint, tires, etc.

It's also very possible to locate a weather station sensor poorly. I've seen many of these sensors incorrectly mounted on roofs. Think about the re-radiated heat a roof gives off, and what that must do to distort readings.

So think of your car temperature sensor as a ballpark figure. It's accurate for its environment, but that is it. On cooler days, it may only be different from more carefully placed weather station sensors by a degree or two. But on days like yesterday, an excess of re-radiated heat likely exaggerates those differences.

Helium2

If the heat from the engine were affecting the readings they should be reading very hot in the summer.
The readings are consistently lower than the air temp. (I have a calibrated thermometer on my front porch which is about 20 feet from the car in the driveway.)
On HOT sunny days we don't get much variation in air temp from place to place locally.
It's a frying pan everywhere.

Plus the temps are much lower than the air temp. when I 1st start the car at mid-morning or past noon.
The engine is air temp cold at that time.

Remember that the car thermometer usually reads less than the air temp.
I could understand if it read more, but I've never seen that except those times in the winter.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Helium2 wrote:If the heat from the engine were affecting the readings they should be reading very hot in the summer.
The readings are consistently lower than the air temp. (I have a calibrated thermometer on my front porch which is about 20 feet from the car in the driveway.)
On HOT sunny days we don't get much variation in air temp from place to place locally.
It's a frying pan everywhere.

Plus the temps are much lower than the air temp. when I 1st start the car at mid-morning or past noon.
The engine is air temp cold at that time.

Remember that the car thermometer usually reads less than the air temp.
I could understand if it read more, but I've never seen that except those times in the winter.
Hmm, speaking for myself I'd say that ain't normal. I'm on my second Rogue and the sensor in both have worked fine. In warm/hot weather it often reads something like 5 or so degrees above the actual temp, but adjust within a few miles of driving. Maybe you could mention it the next time you're at the dealership.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

TRY CLEANING THE SENSOR.

just as an FIY: these are mean for a 'general' reading. they are not meant to to be used by meteorologists to give a forecast on the channel 12 news. when i read these thermometers, i always leave some room for error with a +/- 5 degrees.

Helium2

ImStricken wrote:TRY CLEANING THE SENSOR.
How is that done without damaging the thermistor?

takeshi
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Helium2 wrote:Remember that the car thermometer usually reads less than the air temp.
Then either it's faulty or somehow insulated from air temp. Have you taken a look at the sensor?

Helium2

Where is it?

ras_oscar

Is the sensor that feeds the display mounted for the sole purpose of telling me whether or not to wear a sweater? I had always assumed ( based on personal bias only) that the sensor was mounted to measure the engine combustion air stream, and the convenience display was a happy byproduct.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Helium2 wrote:Where is it?
MERGED
Towncivilian wrote:The FSM says it is behind the front grille. I am unable to find an exploded parts diagram that shows its position - HAC-114 only says "remove front grille, then disconnect sensor". Grille removal instructions are on EXT-19.
This topic has been discussed in multiple threads. Here's a few.
incorrect-outside-temp-readings-causing ... 55715.html
what-are-these-wires-for-behind-the-grille-t446407.html

Helium2

Thanks for the info! :)
I guess I'll check the diagnostics and see if they apply to my 2010.

I'll let you know.

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

thanks R1 for those threads. i knew they existed but was to lazy to search. i just merged 1 with this post.

Cecbau
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL, I have been trying to figure out how to make the outside temp display work. I have gone to Nissan and they have told me it is not equipped. The display is there I just need help figuring out how to turn it on, because currently it is off and no temperature is showing. What can i do?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Cecbau wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:44 pm
I have a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL, I have been trying to figure out how to make the outside temp display work. I have gone to Nissan and they have told me it is not equipped. The display is there I just need help figuring out how to turn it on, because currently it is off and no temperature is showing. What can i do?
The subject has been covered in this thread, with links to other threads.

You have the SL model, so you should have the sensor. A few things to check:
Check the fuse for the sensor.
The sensor is either defective or missing.

Mr. Nice Welds
Car: 97 Infiniti qx4

My display was working perfect this morning on my way to work then on the way back I noticed It wasnt on at all. I got home and cut of the truck and turned the switch back on and all the lights came on when it does the display test but turns back off onces it's done testing the display lights

Return to “Rogue Forum”