OFFICIAL: NicoClub's Rally 240SX, by Finnish Fury Rallysport

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

FlatBlackIan wrote: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with this picture?

Something is not where it is supposed to be, and something else is not doing what it is supposed to.

Car is not driving through rough terrain, and there is no mud in the picture...

What do I win, sir?

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Z Style wrote: Are you going to Sno Drift? I will plan on getting it off work if you are to help out.
That is the Million dollar question right now isn't it.

The motor is out of the car and disassembled. I need to order up new rings, bearings, timing chain, and a grip of gaskets and seals. Hope to have the block and head out to the machine shop in the next 2 weeks.

Then it just comes down to money, which I dont have a lot of right now. I am wondering, mostly to myself if its worth it to buy 8 snow tires, run stock suspension, pay entry fee, tow out there, and find a place to stay, or if I should just save my monies and do 100 Acre Wood like a boss.

I know if Chris comes in here and see's this I am going to get a nasty phone call, but I am thinking more and more its just not a wise choice at the moment. Although the Sno Attach money is tempting, having a shot at it, with this being a National level event, is a tough cookie.

If I were to wait for 100AW on the other hand, I will have the new motor in for sure, and I should have the new, way better rear end gearing as well as the bitchin new suspension all sorted out. Id like to see if I cant start chasing some of those really fast G2 guys.
PyR0NiAk wrote:
Car is not driving through rough terrain, and there is no mud in the picture...

What do I win, sir?
Look closely at the ground between the car and the camera. What do you see?

DeXteR
Car: 14 Titan Pro4X
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Stock suspension (maybe two sets if you can find them). Four tires. Stay with us. Find some sponsors.

Otherwise, I can kind of see why someone who has a beef with Sno*Drift wouldn't want to go... But it is a GREAT rally.

IanS

DeXteR wrote:Stock suspension (maybe two sets if you can find them). Four tires. Stay with us. Find some sponsors.

Otherwise, I can kind of see why someone who has a beef with Sno*Drift wouldn't want to go... But it is a GREAT rally.
It actually has nothing to do with "the beef". I just did my budget for the next few months, and the money is just not there. I was actually getting excited for it, I have always enjoyed driving on snow and ice, and consider myself to be reasonably good at it.

I had already planned to run stock suspension for snow drift, and I already have a fresh set of GR2s and springs ready to go, and a backup set of old stockers just in case.

The problem is, money pure and simple. I had spaced the fact that the deferment period was up for my wife's school loans, so my available rally money is not what it used to be.

I will be pushing myself just to have enough saved up to do 100AW.

Any sort of sponsorship backing "could" turn this around, but Im not holding my breath. Im not super great at promoting myself beyond posting stuff here and on the book of faces. I need to build a website at some point, but I fail at graphic design. I also need to get a real logo for Finnish Fury Rallysport figured out so I can get some vinyl cut, and maybe just maybe do some tee shirts at a later date.

For now the plan is to continue plugging away on the engine rebuild. JVAB is working on getting the new suspension together.....

Wait, did I just drop that bomb.

Thats correct, John Vandlingham of JVAB Imports will be custom building me some super BA suspension to replace the half failed bilstien setup. Its the route I should have gone in the first place. Hindsight always sees in 20 20. Hopefully it will be ready by 100AW, and I still have enough money for entry fee.

A picture of a similar front setup for reference.

Razi
Car: Moo

Holy moly those coils mean business.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

100AW is my backyard, I go to school in Rolla, MO. Been out to spectate for the past couple of years. Hope to see you out there!

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Ooh la la, I think I'm in love. :naughty:

I'll see what I can do about helping you get some promotion. You definitely need a logo and a website wouldn't hurt. This is Nico, by the way. It's amazing what people will do for free just because you're cool. Start a thread asking for people to design a logo. Also, I'm sure there's people here willing to help you with a website. Lastly, there's a giant list of potential sponsors in the Advertiser Directory.

I don't have a ton a free time, but I'll help when I can.

Also, what cams are you running? I've got a few sets of various stock cams if you want to do a hot swap of some combination. I also have the template for drilling stock cam gears for adjustability.

IanS

I am planning to do a 248 248 setup, and i was planning on drilling the intake cam gear to advance the timing slightly. Although that might leave me with too much actual compression so i need to dig up the lobe info for the 248s and find out where actual closing occurs. with static compression as high as 11.5 : 1, loosing a hair to late closing might not be the end of the world. I dont have the money for big injectors and fuel pump needed to run E85 at the moment, and I dont want to be stuck running race gas.

Maybe its time to make a thread and ask Nico for help. First i need to figure out what I want.

Razi

Here's a thread that DJpants made with his thoughts on all the cam setups he's tried.

my-comments-on-248-240-s13-cam-swap-t152578.html

Just incase you haven't seen it before...

IanS

Razi wrote:Here's a thread that DJpants made with his thoughts on all the cam setups he's tried.

my-comments-on-248-240-s13-cam-swap-t152578.html

Just incase you haven't seen it before...
Thats Chase. He lives in the Twin Cities area, and I have chatted with him about some of the different setups.

I have thought about doing the 248 232 setup, but I am going to try 248 248 first. Most of Chase's cam swapping was done on stock or near stock engines, where as I will be running SOHC pistons, standalone ECU, and possibly ITBs. The KA already makes darn decent mid range. Its great coming out of a corner if you are mid RPMs, but as I stay in it, power never builds. I have nothing to look forward to where power delivery is concerned.

That is a great thread though. I just wish I could find actual lobe data for the stock cams. You can find it for aftermarket cams, but they are all aimed towards boost applications, so they are pretty much useless to me.

IanS

Finnish Fury is now on Google + too!!!

Check it out, and add me to your circles, even if I dont have anything good up yet.

Finnish Fury Rallysport

My DOHC motor may be making its way up here next week, so keep your eyes peeled for disassembly pictures.

IanS

Time for Finnish Fury to get its own logo.

Get over to Gen Chat if you want in on this action.

calling-all-graphic-designers-race-team ... 45673.html

King Ranzo
Car: 15 Ford Focus ST

This thread. Makes me fap. All over the place. Keep it up Ian. :bigthumb:

IanS

King Ranzo wrote:This thread. Makes me fap. All over the place. Keep it up Ian. :bigthumb:

:rotfl Thanks Girr.

In other news, barring any random complications, the new engine for the rally car should be making its way to me from the cities Sunday evening. Hope to have the bare block and head out to the machine shop in the next week or so.

IanS

Lookie what I got.

Christmas already?

Spare head.

Ish just got real.

Razi

Nice.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

So, is the rally car getting anything good for Christmas?

IanS

DeXteR wrote:So, is the rally car getting anything good for Christmas?
The DOHC motor is on the stand, partially torn down. I have been working on some side work in the garage, and doing stuff on the house the last couple of weeks. As for Christmas, there are rumours about having something to do with coughnismorodsandpistonscough, but we will see about that. I had planned to already have the block and head off to the maching shop for clean up and mill work, but I had an electrical, followed by a plumbing SNAFU that sucked up a bunch of my time. Now I just need to get the broken Toyota pickup unbroken, and out of my garage, and I can get back to work.

(Yoshi)
Car: Black 1991 Nissan 240SX Fastback

I just spent the day looking over this entire thread.

When I get my build done, my next will be a rally car. And it's your fault. My wallet hates you. Hope you can sleep tonight..

But in all seriousness epic build. I love to see grass roots race car builds. Keep up the great work!

IanS

Got the new engine torn nearly the rest of the way down today. I would have taken the head off, but broke my 10mm Hex key on the first head bolt I tried to remove. Hope to finish the job this week after getting my heavier duty hex from work. So far so good.

Also ran out of egg cartons to store the shim buckets in to keep them in order. Looks like a few get to hang out for a while longer.

This brings me to the manifold. What to do, what to do. Should I just gut it, and delete all the extra do dads, or should I just bight the bullet, listen to the sticker on my dash and get the ITBs set up?

Also, plans for my 2012 schedule have changed slightly do to recent "opportunities" Will talk more about those in the coming days. Its going to be an exciting year.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Get yourself an intake manifold from an S14 KA - no secondary valves. ITB's can be done later. Might as well slap something together for the time being.

Razi

It looks like it is an S14 manifold actually.
Remove all the emission crud and run it like that for now. :)

IanS

You are both correct. The DOHC that I have is a Frankenstein. It came out of an S13, but the jack shaft timing chain had snapped. The head was damaged, so a replacement was pulled off a donor S14, and put on this bottom end. The project was never completed, which is how I ended up with it so cheap. They left the S14 manifold on, but I have the destroyed head complete with manifolds. I have been meaning to decide which runner set I will be using for the ITBs. Need to get out my micrometer. Either way I think I may run a full manifold for now. I will be converting to MAP based A/Fr calculation either way, so swapping between the 2 setups shouldn't change wiring at all.

That reminds me, I may or may not be missing some of the timing cover bits. Will know more once I dig out everything I got from the guy and take stock.

In other news, I got the head off this morning. Brought it in to work, and did some base cleaning. Hope to get the rotating assembly out tomorrow that way I can drop the block and head off at the machine shop some time next week.

benz88
Car: 91 240sx

Pretty sure you need to run the S13 lower half of the intake and use the S14 top half. Just for sensor issues. Atleast thats what I gathered when I swapped in my S14 motor into my S13. I just switched to my stock S13 intake for now.

IanS

benz88 wrote:Pretty sure you need to run the S13 lower half of the intake and use the S14 top half. Just for sensor issues. Atleast thats what I gathered when I swapped in my S14 motor into my S13. I just switched to my stock S13 intake for now.
I will be running a "Link" standalone ECU. Im not worried one bit about sensors.

benz88
Car: 91 240sx

FlatBlackIan wrote:
benz88 wrote:Pretty sure you need to run the S13 lower half of the intake and use the S14 top half. Just for sensor issues. Atleast thats what I gathered when I swapped in my S14 motor into my S13. I just switched to my stock S13 intake for now.
I will be running a "Link" standalone ECU. Im not worried one bit about sensors.
ah right. I guess if your on stand alone then giver :dblthumb:

IanS

benz88 wrote: ah right. I guess if your on stand alone then giver :dblthumb:
Go big or go home.

In other news, the block is all the way stripped down. I spent some time cleaning scale off the sides of it so that after its honed, milled and hot tanked I can paint it a pretty color.

I did a base cleaning of the head, and it is all packaged up and ready to go out as well.

In other other news, I will be only making slow progress on the rally car, but I promise I have a good reason. My 2012 season plans had not originally included competing at Sno*Drift Rally in late January, BUT, due to a recent opportunity, I will. I lucked my way in to the drivers seat of the #239 Open Light Subaru Impreza owned by Chris Gordon and Jenny Majszak. Jen will be Co-Driving for me, and Chris will be providing much needed moral support.

I started out in life driving FWD cars, but 8 years ago I started playing around with RWD. I never really went back. AWD is relatively new territory for me. I have played around with them here and there, but not in any competitive capacity. Hopefully it will be a great learning experience for me as a driver, and I cant thank Chris and Jenny enough for giving me this opportunity.

Sno*Drift 2012 will be happening January 27th and 28th in and around Atlanta Michigan. If you are anywhere nearby I suggest you come check out the event. There are already 65 paid entries with another 5 spots open. Its going to be a HUGE turnout, and undoubtedly a fantastic event.

DeXteR
05 Xterra OR
92 300ZX Slicktop
94 Sentra RS Rally Car

Sno*Drift is awesome.

Now I'll have someone to root for.

SX APPEAL
Car: 06 G35 Coupe 6MT
95 Maxima SE 5MT

Will you still be coming to 100AW?

IanS

SX APPEAL wrote:Will you still be coming to 100AW?

That is the big question, now isn't it.

Its looking like a no most likely. I hope to have the motor back together by then, but. There it is, BUT, the suspension wont be sorted yet. Its been an expensive winter so far, and going to Sno*Drift wont help the matter, but I am ok with that. Im getting out and racing which is what its all about anyway. Plus I will be experiencing something totally foreign to me. I would have to be blind deaf and dumb not to gain something, as a driver, from this.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”