OFFICIAL: NicoClub's Rally 240SX, by Finnish Fury Rallysport

General discussion forum about the 240sx, and a great place to introduce yourself to the board!
Razi
Car: Moo

Autocrossing truck with pink suspension and wide wheels with racing slicks.

So epic.

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

it will be....... someday

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

DMan II-40 wrote:I think the gold color to match the GC spring perch and the camber plate would look good.

Wonder why you made the shock go higher, more people make it sit lower so you get more shack travel.
I need more ground clearance. Chopping the top would have lowered the ride height.
PHeller wrote:I notice the bolt doesn't stick out the top. Any pics of the front camber plates?

Will you be using spring tenders to get full droop? I'd imagine the shocks might be able to extend more than the springs allow?
The Tein camber plates are counter sunk quite a bit. The bolt comes through the bearing, you just cant see it over the top of the plate. That being said, I need to modify the upper spring perch a little so it sits where I want it.

I have thought about running helper springs, but its something I have decided to tackle at a later date. If I decide to switch to a longer damper, then I will reevaluate my need for them.

Dill_XD
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

That's pretty damn cool. I cant wait to see it on the car. One question, how expensive is that setup?

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Ian is gonna have people building there own coilovers after this.

Nice, mang.

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

I been wanting to build mine for like a year, along with brake upgrades, and a turbo but alas I have no money for any of that stuff. Although I will be using Koni yellows instead of Bilstien since I don't have money for them.

homeslicej2
Car: 1990 S13 SR'd hatch

subscribed.

IanS

Dill_XD wrote:That's pretty damn cool. I cant wait to see it on the car. One question, how expensive is that setup?
All said and done, I should be into them for less than $1,200. In theory you can buy an decent set of coils for that, but the fact that I custom chose my spring rates, spring lengths, and damper valving makes up for it. I also have the ability to easily switch springs at any time, plus I can rebuild the dampers myself, plus I can have them revalved for cheap any time I want.
DMan II-40 wrote:I will be using Koni yellows instead of Bilstien since I don't have money for them.
Actually the prices on the Koni's and the Bilstiens are pretty close. I would spend the extra. You can rebuild the Bilstiens yourself, whereas the Koni's have to be sent out to a licensed Koni rebuilder. Not to mention the Koni's are basically a revalved OE style damper, where as the Bilstien is an inverted monotube damper.

DMan II-40
Car: 1995 240SX SE

FlatBlackIan wrote:Actually the prices on the Koni's and the Bilstiens are pretty close. I would spend the extra. You can rebuild the Bilstiens yourself, whereas the Koni's have to be sent out to a licensed Koni rebuilder. Not to mention the Koni's are basically a revalved OE style damper, where as the Bilstien is an inverted monotube damper.
Actually that is the exact reason I had for liking the Bilstiens better than Koni. It is cheaper and easier to have them revalved. Maybe I will do Bilstiens front and Koni Yellow rear just for the simplicity. What Bilstien fronts did you get (3000gt)? any links?

IanS

DMan II-40 wrote:
Actually that is the exact reason I had for liking the Bilstiens better than Koni. It is cheaper and easier to have them revalved. Maybe I will do Bilstiens front and Koni Yellow rear just for the simplicity. What Bilstien fronts did you get (3000gt)? any links?
Hahahahahahahaha. I though about doing that too, so I wouldnt have to modify the bottom of the rears. Then I remembered, I have a welder, I do what I want.

I got my bilstiens from the second or third vendor listed on Bilstien's website. They are meant for the 3000GT, but once I run a few races on them, I plan to get in touch with bilstien. Either they have a longer version meant for something else, or I will try to get them to build me a custom damper.

Bumnah
Car: 1992 240SX, black. Bone stock.

This thread pleases me.

BTW, taking apart OEM struts sucks. I'll never forget the horrid stench the oil in the OEM struts released when I removed the gland nut.

IanS

Bumnah wrote:This thread pleases me.

BTW, taking apart OEM struts sucks. I'll never forget the horrid stench the oil in the OEM struts released when I removed the gland nut.
Actually it didnt really bug me. I have smelled far worse fluids come out of cars, like 100k mile old Subaru front diff fluid.

No updates, the snow has meant I worked on my days off. AFAIK the cage is coming along on schedule and I could see it as soon as next week.

gmac708
Car: :o)
1970 240Z
1972 510

Looking real good! Keep the updates coming.

IanS

Talked to Doug today. There have been some delays not related to the car. Looks like I wont be getting it back until sometime next week at the soonest. Not a big deal, its been uber cold here, and Ive been spending most of my time working to get the shop to hold heat in.

kenno470
Car: 1995Ish Nissan 240SX (P-I: Retired 2012)
1997 Nissan 240SX (P-II: Began 2012)

Thanks for the donation, Ian!

Dude...I'm jealous. A 240 that's actually meant to be in the dirt. I dig it.

Great job on the coilovers. Every time I want to do something to mine it seems to cost 400 bucks!

Good luck with it...I'll be watching enthusiastically!!

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

Subscribed.

pedobear-lovin
Car: S14 KOUKI

im sad, im at th end! just read the thread. verry cool! always love DIYers stuff, its the best. like home cookin!

StandardProspect
Car: '93 240sx '98 Q45

Awesome build thread, keep up the good work man!

troskinatior
Car: A Two Tone Piggy Coupe

this is probably the best build on nico, it will be scary as hell driving a rwd car full speed down a narrow dirt road will tree surounding you.what are you doing about a codriver?

IanS

troskinatior wrote:this is probably the best build on nico, it will be scary as hell driving a rwd car full speed down a narrow dirt road will tree surounding you.what are you doing about a codriver?
Thanks.

Co Driver is still somewhat up in the air. I have a quite a few friends in the rally world. My good friend Chris Gordon has signed on to help navigate for me as long as the races I run do not conflict with any National events. He is a semi pro level co driver, and he may be running with an open class team for the 2010 season. Im not to worried about finding somebody.

Update!

I just got some pictures from the cage builder. He is still running behind schedule, but Im busy with holiday stuff anyway.

Cage looks like its coming together nicely, the main hoop is in, along with the rear support bars. Still needs a lot though, door bars, x braces, and some gusseting.

Doug is doing a great job keeping the cage tight to the body. This maximizes interior space as well minimizing body damage in the event of a roll.

Im getting excited.

Didderson
Car: 1990 240sx fastback; '88 Hardbody pickup; '74 Datsun Z

I loooove the rally car updates!

Amazing looking cage so far. I love the rear bracing: Right on the shock tower where the punishment from all those jumps is going to count!

Just hoping it gets back soon for more updates haha!

IanS

Didderson wrote:I loooove the rally car updates!

Amazing looking cage so far. I love the rear bracing: Right on the shock tower where the punishment from all those jumps is going to count!

Just hoping it gets back soon for more updates haha!
Exactly. Once I have the car back, I will also be adding reinforcing plates to the tops of all the strut towers to keep the struts from punching through. Its actually a pretty common problem on some cars. Hit a nasty rock or rut at speed, the stiff tires dont give, the stiff suspension doesnt give, but the sheet metal towers do.

svairman
Car: 1993 Infiniti Q45

FlatBlackIan wrote:
Thanks.

Co Driver is still somewhat up in the air. I have a quite a few friends in the rally world. My good friend Chris Gordon has signed on to help navigate for me as long as the races I run do not conflict with any National events. He is a semi pro level co driver, and he may be running with an open class team for the 2010 season. Im not to worried about finding somebody.

Update!

I just got some pictures from the cage builder. He is still running behind schedule, but Im busy with holiday stuff anyway.

Cage looks like its coming together nicely, the main hoop is in, along with the rear support bars. Still needs a lot though, door bars, x braces, and some gusseting.

Doug is doing a great job keeping the cage tight to the body. This maximizes interior space as well minimizing body damage in the event of a roll.

Im getting excited.
i like the roof, when does the ejection seat go in?

J14cm7
Car: 95 240sx S14 SR20det

Great job on the car. I really appreciate you keeping us updated.

IanS

svairman wrote:
i like the roof, when does the ejection seat go in?
Hahahaha, yes, the roof skin was removed to ease the installation of the X brace, as well as help make the cage fit tighter to the body.
J14cm7 wrote:Great job on the car. I really appreciate you keeping us updated.
Thanks. I hope to kick things back into high gear after the holidays.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

I have a leaky steering rack, let us know when anything comes of that manual conversion.

Cage looks great.

lbreevesii
Car: S13 hatch LeMons project - Kaputzen!
BMW E30

Still looking awesome man. I just pulled my fenders(to get rid of the mud) and the bumper today. Good god that bumper does have a ton of metal in it. I'm removing that right now. I've got a spot weld cutter on the way for those rear seat brackets too.

Now that i'll have an 8-5 job and a garage my lemons project should move along nicely.

Speedy7_7
Car: 2002 IS300 And 2008 Nissan Versa

OHHHHHH IAN, I got you a christmas present, this is going to be the most JDM tyte rally 240 evar!

IanS

Speedy7_7 wrote:OHHHHHH IAN, I got you a christmas present, this is going to be the most JDM tyte rally 240 evar!
You have no idea how much I hate you right now.

boro drift
Car: '87 Supra, '92 240 with SR20 and '98 12 valve Cummins

Your build seems to be going nicely Ian. If you ever need any welding or fabrication advice, hit me up.

subscribed.

Return to “240sx General Discussion”