New Owner / Member - Advice on my Purchase?

The Nissan 300ZX (Z32) general community discussion forum
LetsGo
Car: 1990 300ZX NA 2+2

Hello all - I am a brand new owner and just found and joined this site. I am picking up this weekend a 1990 300ZX NA 2+2. I don't know how active this site is but I could really use some advice and let me start off by admitting, right up front, that I am no mechanic. I am handy and work on easier things, but I don't have the tools or knowledge for anything involved.

So here is the deal on this car. I am buying it from a neighbor, original owner (elderly), and garage kept. It has about 95k miles but for the past 15 years has hardly been driven. Every 3-4 months he drives it slowly around his neighborhood for a few minutes and parks it in the garage again. That's it for the past 15 +/- years. The only "known" problems are one of windows does not operate, and there is a leak somewhere in the break system. I am assuming the timing belt is a must-do, and also all new fluids, probably brakes, and tires. I don't want to spend endless money but I want to get everything done now, right, in order to enjoy the car and prevent, as much as possible, more problems down the road.

My main question is this - should I take the car to the local Nissan dealer and hope for the best? Or try to find an independent mechanic? I don't know anyone where I am (SW Florida) and if Nissan is the safest / best place to get this main stuff done up front, then that is what I will do, even though I am sure they will hose me on cost. Any advice gents?

Thank you for any guidance. I'm a total newb with not only this car / brand, but buying any old car like this.

NolimitZ32
Car: 91 AG2 2+0 TTMT swap/E39 BMW 540i6/E53 4.6is Dinan S3

Welcome aboard. Under no circumstances should you take this car to a Nissan dealer, even back when they were new not every dealer had people that were knowledgeable in the Z32 platform, now days its almost a solid guarantee that they wont have a single tech at the dealer that will know what they are doing on the car.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

The trick will be in finding a reputable independent shop. You could take the car to your local dealership to get an idea of what needs to be done and use their estimate as a baseline for costs. Mind you they'll probably charge you to do this, but if you have them do the work they should waive the fee.

Whereabouts in SW Florida are you? I'm in Charlotte County.

:worthless:

LetsGo

Thank you guys for the input. No to the dealership then - I will try to find a mechanic. I am in Naples. Rogue One - anyone good in Charlotte County? I can rent a trailer from Uhaul and get it there if need be. I would feel so much better with a solid recommendation from someone in the know.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

BTW, here at NICO we have Factory Service Manuals available free to members. Take a look at the link below and you'll find the FSM for your car.

1990 300zx FSM

LetsGo

Thank you guys again. From the reading I've done on here, it sounds like the 120k service is the first order of business. Any idea, approximately, what this runs from a shop - total parts & labor? I'd like to get just a general idea so I know if I'm getting hosed or not...

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

$1000 Appropriate price for 120k maintenance?

Nissan 300ZX Maintenance Schedule

120,000 Mile Service (Estimate: $864 - $1146)
What to Expect:
  • This service generally involves the replacement of fluids like the automatic transmission fluid (and filter, if equipped), engine coolant, and differential fluid.
  • Some vehicles will require replacement of the timing belt and/or a valve adjustment
  • Some vehicles will require replacement of the spark plugs
  • A more comprehensive checklist of inspections may also be included. Each shop and vehicle manufacturer may vary the actions performed, so be sure to refer the maintenance schedule in your owners manual.
  • If this service is performed at the dealership, they should also take care of any necessary recalls.
Additional Repairs That May Be Necessary
  • Brake pad replacement
  • Tire replacement
  • Drive belt replacement
  • Shock absorber/strut replacement
  • Engine coolant hose replacement
  • Engine mount replacement
  • Steering and/or suspension component replacement

LetsGo

Thanks, I was expecting even more. So helpful - thank you.

Dorito_Club7
Car: 1995 Forest Green S14. Bone Stock

Yeah the best mechanics for your car are youtube and yourself PERIOD.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

If you want to own a 300zx, your best bet is to work on it yourself, followed by using mechanics that specifically only works on Zs/Z32s

LetsGo

Thanks for the input everyone. I got her home, and all appears pretty good, with 95k mies on her. But I guess I need the 120k service. Timing belt was changed only 20k miles ago, but that was in 1996. She was driven a little for 4-5 years after that then parked in the garage...

I simply don't have the area, tools or skills to do this job, so the mechanic search continues. I'm reading and learning as much as I can on here.

I'm trying to tackle some of the smaller items and am just about to post a window question.

DCaff300ZX
Car: .
1993 CRP TT- Modified

LetsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:40 am
Thanks for the input everyone. I got her home, and all appears pretty good, with 95k mies on her. But I guess I need the 120k service. Timing belt was changed only 20k miles ago, but that was in 1996. She was driven a little for 4-5 years after that then parked in the garage...

I simply don't have the area, tools or skills to do this job, so the mechanic search continues. I'm reading and learning as much as I can on here.

I'm trying to tackle some of the smaller items and am just about to post a window question.
Congrats! :mike
Sounds like the fun is about to begin. Just be patient and learn everything you can as you have been doing and you should be fine. Just be ready for the fact that the '90 has all of the potential issues to deal with due to it's age.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) General”