New MAF/MAP Setup UPDATE!! :)

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
DSMs_Suck
Car: Money, *****es, and 40s

Ok all I know its been a while since I have updated you all, but this quarter at school has literally been hell on earth. I basically come in at 8am go to some classes, go to regular work, back to school for more classes. Then stay at school until I get kicked out at 11pm doing homework... LONG DAYS...

Anyways, this post in a matter of speaking is a continuation of my original post that was guaging interest in a new MAF setup for KA(D)E(T) guys. The original post can be found here:http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....55794

Well, I have been workin hours here and there when I can sneak away from school or work or on the weekends and I have made some serious progress. For all intents and purposes the hardware side is completely done, and about 90% of the software side is complete as well.

I currently have my 95 240sx running on the GM MAF perfectly.. I'll bet once I remove the unused nissan maf from the intake I will probably even pick up a few horse... =] and even more if I tune my car with the MAFT (GM MAF Translator).

I know a few of you wanted to see a picture of the MAF, and this is one I took before I put it on my car... I would also like to add that the GM MAF fit perfectly on the stock throttle body! Although I would suggest a blow through setup. I will do an attachment a few times so the maf picture will be in one of them.

I have a lot of the software interface built, and it displays and datalogs all current values from the MAFT. The MAFT has:- 1 Global (+- 50%) adjustment- 14 point adjustable (+- 20%) in 500 rpm increments from 0 to 6500+- Reads and logs: RPM, AFL (for you SAFC guys) - essentially the MAF 0-5v output signal, O2 Voltage (will read/log 0-1v or 0-5v), and throttle position.- Can set or retrieve the fuel settings from the MAFT- Can save or load these settings to local files on the computer. So you can save a pump gas map, race gas map, etc.- Has a basic feaure for injector correction, that does the math for you for a bigger injector (runs a safe tune).I will include some pictures of the software interface after this, but I am at school and not the car so obviously all the values will be 0 since I'm not connected, but at least you can see the interface.

SO, this is where I am going.. I currently have it running on my relatively stock s14. I am testing it on Jake's (Top street 240) turbo s13 (has 250-300 to the wheels), hopefully this weekend. I would also like to know if there is anyone in the Milwaukee, WI area that has a 91-94 s13 that I can just throw the MAFT on to verify the RPM and MAF signals on.

Finally, I know that many of you had voiced some opinions that you may want a speed density system (i.e. MAP sensor). This is still a possibility that I can do if enough people are interested. I would like to add though that if you do speed density you will almost surely need to tune the car because EVERYONES VE is much different from the next person. I can set it for a generally close tune but you will need to fine tune. Where as the GM MAF is a mass air system thus all tuning should be almost exact from one car to the next.. with less fine tuning needed.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any questions... Hoping to have this thing available early next month! :)

Murray

DSMs_Suck

GM MAF picture... Took with phone.

DSMs_Suck

I apologize that NICO wont let me put pictures bigger than 300x300 on here so these are gonna be small.. I hope you can at least see a little.. If you want the real pictures email me:[email protected]

and Ill send them out

Fuel Setting / Connect:

DSMs_Suck

Again crappy small pictures due to NICO regulations:

Showing Current Values (Note: not connected to car... I'm not really over revlimit and maf overrunning, while running < 8:1 AFR, and flooring it :) ):

DSMs_Suck

Injector Correction form.. actually real size:

DSMs_Suck

Connect Form... Automatically loads all available COM ports, also YES a USB -> Serial cable will work. I'm using the one I got from Best Buy with it right now:

DSMs_Suck

Ok... if you want to see the pictures alot bigger, just view it at 240sxforums.com... No restriction on picture size really:

http://www.240sxforums.com/for...26064

Nathan

Hehe, you could have uploaded them to your members rides section, its like free hosting of a sort (as long as you keep things semi reasonable). It's somewhere in here:http://www.nissaninfiniticlub....user= your doohickey is looking pretty good right now, I cant wait to see how well it work!

574-240sx
Car: Nissans, Toyotas, Subaru

I'm very intrested. Are you still looking at the $300 price range. Nick

DSMs_Suck

Hmm.. It would be really close.. I would say somewhere in the the 300-325 range. Probably closer to $325 if I can't get like 10 people to buy... If I get 10 people to buy it then my supplier gives me a little off on the electronics and I can do closer to $300.

Murray

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Glad to see guys coming up with new idea's. I hope everything works out well for you and MAFs.

WD

Red-KAT
Car: 1995 240sx-se ka24det

This looks very good... I am interested in one...

DSMs_Suck

Sounds good... I have a bunch of electronic goodies on the way to my house as we speak... So I will eventually be able to take a picture of the "final product" so to speak.... As of now I have just been working with my prototype...

Keep watchin the thread cause I will be sending out some pictures probably next week or more likely next weekend.

Also I figured if people wanted to save a few dollars (and of course I can get a few orders so I can save money on some electronics) I can probably sell just the unit for $250, and you can connect the wires yourself from my unit to the MAF. So basically you just have to find the GM MAF WITH (I stress WITH) a wire pigtail. In general they usually go for like $40-50 on ebay, or you can just go to your local junkyard and take one, since that sensor is on almost all (1995+) of GMs 3xxx series v6s.. and the LT1.

... Just took a quick peek on ebay and here is the one ending soonest. Again you will need to find one with the pig talk (or buy it from GM), but still this is generally where they end in price:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...=WDVW

Otherwise I can try to get a hold of a bunch of MAFs myself and do the wiring really nicely with professional connectors and everything if you guys wanted. Again with about 10 or so orders, I could do the whole setup for around $315 or so. (Extra is literally for the MAF+shipping, the connectors, and the wire).

Murray

574-240sx

I have converted my car from auto to 5-speed. Will this program still work for my car. Thanks. Nick

DSMs_Suck

It wont matter, all the signals it uses will be the same... It will work fine for auto or stick.

574-240sx

DSMs_Suck wrote:It wont matter, all the signals it uses will be the same... It will work fine for auto or stick.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me.

htown240
Car: cars, freeskiing, and of course the ladies

hey i live in the milwaukee area and can be your little test subject because i have a 91 240. Actually I have been to Top Street and am getting you guys to do some work for me when I stop back with a list. Just let me know when you need my car. Its stock right now but have my turbo in my room :).

DSMs_Suck

check your email... :)

574-240sx

Any updates yet?

NateDogg

So I guess the bottom line for guys wanting an affordable engine management is GM MAF + MSD Igntion Retard Controller + Injectors. Looks like about $500 +Injectors USD and you got a pretty decent setup!

Way to go DSMs_Suck!!

NateDogg

Just a follow-up..is this MAF tuned in real-time? Sorry if I missed that info..

Is the fuel correction adjustable based on different MAFT voltages?

DSMs_Suck

At the moment the MAF is adjustable on just a 2-axis scale. I.e. Correction versus RPM. I MAY make a 3d version which would have adjustments:Correction versus RPM and MAF voltage. If enough people desire it.

Sorry about its been so slow coming. I've just been doin alot of horsing around with my RB20 setup as well as playing here and there with TopStreet240s KAT. The system works perfect for the s14, now its just a matter of cleaning up the S13 RPM signal and I should be good. Actually if I could have a tester for the S13s that may help me out... So send me an email if you have a working KAT and want to test it out, I'll give u a break on the price just get back to me with how it works for u.

Yup, everything is adjustable in real time.

For future reference I will most likely make an all in one unit which will allow for the same MAFT and adjustment and will also incorporate timing retard capabilities... I may throw the electronic boost controller on the same unit but I am unsure of that as of now... Although I'll tell you now I probably wont have that available until end of summer, maybe fall. That unit will cost about $100 more (Assuming the boost controller is on it).

574-240sx send me another email me, unfortunately u hit me just at the wrong time when i swtiched email addresses.

574-240sx

email sent

Tictakman

id be interested in buying one. when is the "release" date?

Zak

NateDogg

IF you can get a 3D fuel map with ignition control for under $500, you have a grand slam home run.

wsc

DSMs_Suck -

i'm an electronics engineering student (dont actually own a 240 yet) but i joined the site once i read about your project. it sounds great, i might be able to help if you have any areas that need it. I totally agree w/ natedogg: you wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand if you incorporate all those features into the unit. Good luck and let me know if there's any areas you need/want help developing in!

Chezedik
Car: 1991 Nissan 240sx

Do you think this will be able to convert to MAP though?

DSMs_Suck

Ok, its basically in the final stages right now... I literally am driving my car around on the system as we speak, just ensuring everything works properly. And actually its running really well :)

Honestly, I don't even think the 3D map is going to be a question. I am actually working on the 3D map as we speak... although for now it will be editable only in a large table... I will most likely add a feature where you can visually see and change a 3D wireframe map, but that is just eye candy, so for now I won't bother.

The 3D map will be RPM on the X-axis, versus initial MAF voltage on the Y-axis (more explanation on this later), versus correction percent (on the z-axis, or what you change in the table). There is also one GLOBAL VALUE which is applied to the signal no matter what. This is the standard way of viewing most fuel tables, for standalones.

The way it will work is this: An initial conversion of the GM MAF signal will be done which includes the global correction value. This means the signal will be converted from the GM MAF to the stock nissan KA signal. Then the global value is applied to this signal, so if you have 370cc SR injectors for example, 30% will be taken from this MAF voltage right away (the proper global value for 370cc injectors is about -30%). This globally corrected value is then used with the current RPM, to pull a value from the table... This value from the table is then used to make a final correction to the MAF voltage...

If you need still don't understand how it works, just let me know and I will run through an example.

Chezedik...Right now the program is MAF, and GM does not work off an analog signal like a MAP does so it will not work. Since I will add the 3D map feature, I do plan on making a speed density (i.e. MAP-based) system, however it will cost a little more (map + iat sensors are more expensive than a used GM MAF), it will require more tuning, and probably wont be available until at least a month after the MAF based system is released.

As a final note, I am looking for a tester for both the s13 and s14... - The tester needs to be interested in purchasing this system (I can't just give away the amount of time/money I have in each of these boxes). They need to have a working KA-T (just let me know the system... I dont care if its a homemade t25 or a t4 60-trim). - The tester will need to basically install it on their car, and give me lots of feedback on it: I.e. The table should be color coded, the car has a miss occationally, it takes a while for the unit to connect to my laptop, the car revs really smoothly now... whatever is on your mind. - Don't worry, the system has been tested A LOT already.. I just want to know some finer details that only other people can help out with. The system is basically plug and play, install it and the original tune should get you very close to where you want to be. - The tester will get the entire system at a discount, and if there is a hardware or software update don't worry, just send me back your unit and I will update it and send it back... I'll even save the tune for you :)

Murray <- Will have pics of the box and the GM MAF on the car.. May even have a stupid little video of the system from off my digital camera (so it wont have sound)... later today or sometime tomorrow.

DSMs_Suck

wsc... I may get in contact with you if I need anything...

I personally am a computer engineer, does your schools EE program work much with embedded systems? I do have one little thing I would like help with but it requires a pretty broad understanding of embedded systems.

Murray

DSMs_Suck

Tictakman

Hoping to have the 3D map implemented soon, and I want to get a tester lined up.. If you want to test, I would say within a week.. the final release will be in a week or two I would say.

Assuming I can get 5 people to order it will be $300 + shipping for the controller and the MAF. $250 if you want just the controller and want to wire the 3-wire GM MAF yourself. I will tell you now... The wiring I do of the MAF will probably be ALOT better than most of you guys wiring it up, its well worth the basically $5-10 I charge.

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”