new item for tuning BullyDog

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
mcheddadi
Car: R8

mcheddadi wrote:
well now I got error 440 "new part number"part# JB11C

I'm going to call them to know if they already have someone who sent it in for that part number. otherwise my BD tuner when into support mode and took a dump of my ecu or engine code or something for me to send it to them.
Ok so my part number was indeed a new one. Talked with VERN on the Phone and I sent him a JB11C.bin through their GoToAssist chat program. he told me an engineer would program it for my car and in one week I should get it. he said he would call or/and email me . great tech support

dldjros69
Car: 2012 Evo Gsr
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

mcheddadi wrote:
Ok so my part number was indeed a new one. Talked with VERN on the Phone and I sent him a JB11C.bin through their GoToAssist chat program. he told me an engineer would program it for my car and in one week I should get it. he said he would call or/and email me . great tech support
The GoToAssist is a very nice program. made things very easy. BS companies dont use such a quality product. i was impressed with their use and implementation.

If i were you i wouldnt wait for them to contact you. I would call them 5 days from today and next friday on the status. Sometimes their call back and emailing are lacking.

crayzitalian3
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S

the people over there are very nice and get done what needs to get done.

hopefully in the future when they put new updates out, they will add some more features that the instruction booklet states

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Im not sure if i have had the same experience as you have Nick.

Yes they are helpful but it almost sounds like they hate their job.

Get done what they need to get done - oh yeah 2 weeks is unacceptable, but who knows what the circumstances are over at BD. What ever it works now.

Features?

WOT? what else? (specifically that matters to performance)

Im not sure what im missing but i didnt see the advance timing part on the tuner.

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

My tuning and EFI knowledge are limited as I've just recently started studying both, but I wouldn't be happy with a 30:1 AFR.

Maybe you can request that BD give you a revised map that caps the lean out at 18-20, but targets 14.7:1.

In many cases, a rich mixture is used to cool down the cylinders. This seemed odd to me when I first heard about it, but to a certain extent it makes sense. I think of it like using rubbing alcohol on someone with a high fever. The alcohol will draw heat from them.

In any event, you might want to contact a tuning shop about the idea of hitting 30:1 just to be on the safe side.

LinkNuc
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE Super Black 6MT, Loaded minus Moon Roof Deflector

Still the best 300 you ever spent? I'll still watch what's goin' on, but its gonna be a hard sway from this product sucks feeling...300 bucks for ZERO proven gains

Throckmorton
Car: 2007 Altima

This post started on February 4, 2009, over five months ago. Five months after Bully Dog offered the product for sale, consumers are still having problems installing and getting the product to work as advertised.

Yet daily I see posts that say “great tech support”, “the people over there are very nice and get done what needs to get done.” “Too bad they don't do more frequent updates, because it does look like the manufactured units going out have more up-to-date revisions of the software on them as they add stuff…”

All this aggravation for a mere $300.00! What a deal!

Follow this logic.

Let’s say that in February 2009, you spent $300.00 for new tires for your Altima. For those playing along at home, that was five months ago. You decided to purchase the tires at your favorite local Nissan dealer, Snallagaster Nissan, as they were on sale, and you like the dealer.

However, from the moment you drove your newly shod Altima from the dealer’s lot, something was not right with the tires. The car shook, it was hard to stay in one lane while driving, and the tires made a terrible howling noise at any speed.

So for the past five months, you have been returning to the dealer to complain about the tires, and the way your car drives and handles.

When you called to complain, your were told, “call back in 10-14 days…” and “we will have an update soon…”

Who in their right mind would put up with this BS? I dare say NO ONE!

Would we be reading posts complaining how bad Snallagaster Nissan was, and how incompetent their service department was.

I ask one simple question.

Why would anyone put up with the same BS from BD?

Has anything changed from my post of August 7, on page 15???

I think not.

Datalux
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 2.5SL w/ CVT, Tech, Etc.

While I couldn't find anything in the user manual, I'm pretty sure the A & B on the Wideband Sensor dictates which sensor you are "Monitoring". You are NOT influencing the A/F ratio by "Monitoring" one or the other, you are just seeing what that specific sensor is reading in relation to its location and expressed as A/F Ratio.

As others have mentioned, you certainly wouldn't want to have an AFR of 25-30 at any time because it would most likely cook your engine because of the heat generated and I expect there wouldn't be adequate fuel to produce much power.

razah9

Throckmorton it just shipped a couple weeks ago.. & works perfect on 3.5s..

Anyway back on topic from ppl trying to rain of people's paradewho enjoy their new tuning & monitoring unit... Most stationsaround me use 93 for premium, should I stay away from it anduse strictly 91 because of the premium tune?

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

93 is better than 91. 93 is ever safer for your engine...

I dont think any where around here sells 91.

Wawa's and a few other s**t hole gas stations try to pass off 92 at the same price. which makes me incredible angry. My bike knows the difference thats for sure

mcheddadi

its funny how people with nothing to add to this thread are ignored. lets keep it that way

crayzitalian3

mcheddadi wrote:its funny how people with nothing to add to this thread are ignored. lets keep it that way
word to big bird

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

mcheddadi wrote:its funny how people with nothing to add to this thread are ignored. lets keep it that way
dangeris wrote:And once a person gets a rep, they will be avoided like the plague.
You got it mehdi

LinkNuc

Again no proof of real gains and the "try it before you buy it" dealer up thre road from me says they don't support Nissan vehicles, hmm kinda fishy, so does anyone have proof that this does anything yet?

Baden, PA used 15108

bhs07c

So as far as more power, the safest route (at least for us 2.5ers) is to set in to the Premium tune and advance the timing 2 degrees and avoid any A/F ratio adjustments and possibly the rev limiters? Just trying to figure out what else to adjust with this bad boy. Any suggestions/reviews on adjusting the idle?

missmedude

did the price go up back to $400? Im thinking of getting one. hmm.

Throckmorton

You are 100% correct in the above statement. I have had nothing to add to this thread, if you assume that everything I have said is incorrect.

You are right. I stand corrected. I must have been mistaken.

Bully Dog makes a product that is fully tested at their factory, and installs effortlessly in all vehicles that they sell it for. No one has ever had a problem getting the Bully Dog to install and work as advertised. No one has ever received an error code, nor have they had to wait on the phone for 20 minutes or more to speak to a customer service represenative. I could have sworn that I read that on 7-30-2009 @ 5:59 pm, crayzitalian wrote that he was on the phone for about 4 hours getting it to work, but no doubt I misread that. Silly me! No one has been told that Bully Dog needs to write a new file for their ECU P/N. No one has had the pleasure to spend hours using the on-line chat feature that Bully Dog has, attempting to get the unit to work as advertised, or work at all.

I feel like a complete idiot for jumping to that conclusion. After all, there are 18 pages of talk about the Bully Dog Tuner, and not one post of anyone having a problem with the unit. For the life of me, I don't know where I could have jumped to that conclusion in reading all the pages of postings in this thread.

Wait a minute. I just thought of something. Unlike you, I do not look at this with rose colored glasses.

What are rose colored glasses? This is the defination I use: if someone thinks about or looks at something with rose-coloured glasses, they think it is more pleasant than it really is.

From 2-5-09 forward, you have been one of the biggest, if not the biggest cheerleaders for the Bully Dog Tuner, saying "but this is nice, really nice, I might jump on this right now." A cheerleader for a product that at that point in time was not even operational.

You told us on 2-16-09 , "supposed to! its just been released today! You even attempted to arrange a group buy on the same day, but you waited to post the group buy prices until 2-19-09, saying "Ok guys I got some great news.

Not to be outdone, you became a technical expert and official Bully Dog spokesperson on 2-18-09, when you answered a question by saying this,"says it all in the PDF I posted. so yeah it removes the WOT limiter but I didn't check for speedo adjust for the tire size. and you said this about the tires, "Ok I checked and it does speedo adjust for tire size. AWESOME! that means we arn't limited to 215/55/17 proportional tires anymore! AWESOME1

Not quite correct, is it? Were you perhaps wrong, or misinformed?

Even Josh@Stillen was skeptical about Bully Dog's claim, as he posted on 2-20-09, "We're honestly a little skeptical to their (reported) gains of 35hp, and would really be uncomfortable selling you a product like this without reviewing it. Knowing some of you guys who love to be on the bleeding edge of technology will scoop one up and give it a run through should be some interesting info."

Since Josh is one of the good guys, his reluctance to look at the Bully Dog Tuner, using the same rose colored glasses that you use, was not met with dissent. He was not accused of "adding nothing to this thread", was he? Why not? He even used the phrase "WITHOUT REVIEWING IT"

Hard to review something that has not been made, isn't it?

At that point, the tuner was not even in production, but you and others were more than willing to spend $300--$400.00 on it.

Finally, on 7-29-09, you took the plunge, and said that you were still waiting for it to be shipped.

The tuner arrived before 08-11-19, and you said, "hey guys, I'm getting error code 453 when trying to download the performance tunes in the car. anybody can chime in on this?

Continuning your timeline:

3:06 PM 8/11/2009 ok so he told me (after making me wait 20 minutes lol) that I'd need to wait about a week for an update. they already have all the engine codes or whatever that they need and they are compiling and testing it as we speak on other 3.5Ls. sooo no performance tune for me untill next week at best.

8:37 PM 8/11/2009 lol! I don't mind waiting another week since I'm waiting for rear camber arms . I tried the 0-100kph (0-62mph) thing once and I got 8.4 sec LOOOOL! this tuner thing even without the downloadble features is so packed with options, its staggering.

I love it. best 300$ I spent. finally I can have a little software control over the car (a little bit more when I finally get that update next week lol).

install was super noob friendly. I used nurseyboy's fuse and crazyitalian's little tutorial and it worked perfectly! I need that install file bad!!!(notice how I changed from not minding the wait to lusting over the update lol)

9:51 AM 8/12/2009 doesn't work COMPLETELY. I can still do timing advance and do 0-100kph test or 1/4 mile test and use ALL the monitoring features and g-meters and get graph for speed . plus the engine error code reader and lots of extra features I forgot. any of those things separately would cost 300$. plus like i said. this thing has crazy potential when the downloadable tunes get here.

9:48 PM 8/13/2009 still not fully workingthanks for the file! i'm going to go try it!

8:17 AM 8/14/2009 Ok so my part number was indeed a new one. Talked with VERN on the Phone and I sent him a JB11C.bin through their GoToAssist chat program. he told me an engineer would program it for my car and in one week I should get it. he said he would call or/and email me . great tech support

If those statements of yours were not made while you were wearing rose colored glasses, I don't know what is. Great tech support??? Where was the great tech when the unit was supposed to be made to be installed, and operate correctly for your vehicle? I guess he was out to lunch when your unit was made.

Have some people, 2.5 and 3.5 included, had no problem with installation? Of course thay have.

Has the BD Tuner worked well for some people? Yes it has.

Have some people been happy with their purchase? Yes they have.

Having said all that, please tell me what part of my posts on pages 15 and 18 are incorrect.

I am not attacking you, rather I am just responding with facts. Read crayzitalian's saga. It took him from 7-24-09 until 8-13-09 to get his up and running, and countless hours with his phone in his hand. On 7-30, he spent 4 hours on the phone with tech support.

I am in total agreement with this post from nursery boy on 8-4-09:

"While some people (the majority it seems) are having issues with theirs, I must note that I have not had a single issue with mine. It installed fine, applied the tune fine, and I don't get any errors with any of the functions. If it worked like this for everyone who has bought one, I'd recommend it. But the fact that there are so many issues with it still for lots of people, I can't right now. In working condition (like mine is), it's a great product and it definitely made a difference with the Premium tune. They obviously have many more bugs to work out, though, before it's ready for prime-time. As much as I hate to say it, because we waited so long for it already, I think they released it too soon. But, if they stay on top of things and get the bugs fixed, I think down the road this will be an excellent mod and worth the money."

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

missmedude wrote:did the price go up back to $400? Im thinking of getting one. hmm.
$30 OFF Orders Over $300 (promo code 30 OFF)FREE SHIPPING

#40410: Triple Dog GT for Gasoline Vehicles 347.56Grand Total: $317.56 < Final price

http://www.truckaddons.com/Cat...t.htm

Jump on it. One of the best upgrades for my coupe...

grv575

Datalux wrote:While I couldn't find anything in the user manual, I'm pretty sure the A & B on the Wideband Sensor dictates which sensor you are "Monitoring". You are NOT influencing the A/F ratio by "Monitoring" one or the other, you are just seeing what that specific sensor is reading in relation to its location and expressed as A/F Ratio.

As others have mentioned, you certainly wouldn't want to have an AFR of 25-30 at any time because it would most likely cook your engine because of the heat generated and I expect there wouldn't be adequate fuel to produce much power.
Ah... this make sense. I remember reading that there were 2 O2 sensors from catback threads.
bhs07c wrote:So as far as more power, the safest route (at least for us 2.5ers) is to set in to the Premium tune and advance the timing 2 degrees and avoid any A/F ratio adjustments and possibly the rev limiters? Just trying to figure out what else to adjust with this bad boy. Any suggestions/reviews on adjusting the idle?
There are no A/F adjustments (see above). The unit may increase the A/F to 12.5 from stock - but I'm not sure what stock was (see I'm not sure if the programmer downloads your ECU settings to the SD card and then return to factory settings option flashes it back, or if the return to factory settings flashes a standard set of settings similar to what a stock car uses. maybe a good question for BullyDog).
Throckmorton wrote:
You are 100% correct in the above statement. I have had nothing to add to this thread, if you assume that everything I have said is incorrect.

You are right. I stand corrected. I must have been mistaken.

Bully Dog makes a product that is fully tested at their factory, and installs effortlessly in all vehicles that they sell it for.

blah blah blah <snip>
I guess you don't understand what the unit does. They're reverse engineering the ECU on a range of cars. I'm sure you've never done any reverse engineering of binary code. So lets get that out of the way.

2nd, there's apparently differences in the ECUs between engine makes. It's not possible for a company such as BullyDog to buy every singe year and make of car for testing. If a tuner is really what you want, then you should be glad that they're willing to enter the market and put this type of device out there - and then reverse your particular ECU for your engine make and update the programmer. Of course this will take time to get support for ever possible car.

Look even a technosquare tune does the same thing - they take your ECU image and reverse engineer that and give you a custom tune. BullyDog is just shipping out a product that will eventually (once they do all the RE legwork for everyone not yet supported) be a general purpose downloader. What's the advantage here? Well if you take your car into the shop, you can revert to factory settings, and then flash back afterwards. If you're not interested in such a tuner, and don't understand the technology or development process, then just can it. They're not manufacturing exhaust pipes here.
Modified by grv575 at 2:41 PM 8/15/2009

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

Excellent post Grover...

Welcome to the forum, stick around for a bit.

What kinda car are you driving? You getting one of these tuner's?

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

It's amazing how some people feel this inexplicable need to be heard at all costs. It's amazing he has enough time on his hands to do all this copying and pasting from Wikipedia and other threads in the forums...that being said, if he's like this in real life, the lack of personality would warrant such copious amounts of free time to spend on the interwebs. There's no way in hell any sane individual could spend much face time with someone like that.

...a personality only a mother could love...and even then I'm sure she's hard-pressed even with her Valium "prescription"...
grv575 wrote:2nd, there's apparently differences in the ECUs between engine makes. It's not possible for a company such as BullyDog to buy every singe year and make of car for testing. If a tuner is really what you want, then you should be glad that they're willing to enter the market and put this type of device out there - and then reverse your particular ECU for your engine make and update the programmer. Of course this will take time to get support for ever possible car.

Look even a technosquare tune does the same thing - they take your ECU image and reverse engineer that and give you a custom tune. BullyDog is just shipping out a product that will eventually (once they do all the RE legwork for everyone not yet supported) be a general purpose downloader. What's the advantage here? Well if you take your car into the shop, you can revert to factory settings, and then flash back afterwards. If you're not interested in such a tuner, and don't understand the technology or development process, then just can it. They're not manufacturing exhaust pipes here.
Damn good point there mate. I'm not very familiar with ECU tuning but this makes perfect sense. I'll gladly pay $300-400 for a tuner that allows me the opportunity to return to stock at the drop of a hat.

Thanks for your valuable input!

grv575

dldjros69 wrote:Excellent post Grover...

Welcome to the forum, stick around for a bit.

What kinda car are you driving? You getting one of these tuner's?
I suppose I should update my profile... 3.5 07 Maxima (automatic). I have the tuner already and am overall satisfied with it (300-350 seems about the right price point for something like this).

JDRosenberg07
Car: 08 Altima Coupe 2.5 6MT

ESP wrote:
It's amazing how some people feel this inexplicable need to be heard at all costs. It's amazing he has enough time on his hands to do all this copying and pasting from Wikipedia and other threads in the forums...that being said, if he's like this in real life, the lack of personality would warrant such copious amounts of free time to spend on the interwebs. There's no way in hell any sane individual could spend much face time with someone like that.

...a personality only a mother could love...and even then I'm sure she's hard-pressed even with her Valium "prescription"..

It's very creeper like with all the exact dates and times of each post

Okay do we all know that there are some bugs that need to be worked out of the tuner but we also know that BD is working on it. Do we really need to point out all the flaws of this tuner every couple posts?? FYI this is already common knowledge!

If BD didn't care or weren't a reputable company then they would have left well enough alone but they didn't. When the unit works, it does wonders. When it doesn't it's a huge let down. This is my outside opinion. I would love to see this work and plan on getting this in due time, however I will wait till the bugs are fixed.

Throck, seriously man get a life. I think about 90% of your posts so far have probably taken you at least an hour each will all the "research" you do. And all of your posts have been grossly negative and sarcastic. It's one thing to inform, it's another to be a douche. You have yet to even post pictures of your car to even prove you own an altima. I am seriously convinced that since you have so much time in your hands you are an unemployed 30yr old man who still lives at home with mom and dad in the space above the garage. Oh and btw wikipedia is about as reliable as satilite tv during a hurricane.

LinkNuc, as far as your proof goes, where are all the dyno's to prove your gains from your mods?? Dude, put up or shut up.

Your not interested in getting the tuner, yeah we all kinda get that by now, hell even the noobs get it and have no idea what half this stuff is we are even talking about. You dont need to repeat yourself 10 times per page. You said your piece, now sit quietly and wait for the updates to finish and then give your opinion or just GTFO of this thread.
Modified by JDRosenberg07 at 1:27 AM 8/16/2009

mattybo
Car: 2009 Altima Coupe 3.5 SE - Precision Gray

Ok, I just tried to read as much of this thread as possible but have yet to see a definitive answer so forgive me if I am asking an obvious question. Will this unit work with a 3.5 SE CVT?

Feel free to yell at me if necessary!

EDIT : And when I say work, I simply mean the function that will allow you to set it to use Premium Gas only and pull a few extra HP out...
Modified by mattybo at 7:37 PM 8/16/2009

dldjros69
A/C 2.5 Turbo 6MT (SOLD)

YES IT SHOULD WORK...

there i yelled at you.

Doc aka rjdmmfl1 has a 3.5 cvt and the tune works for him. There is a slight chance that it wont work though. Mehdi has a 3.5 6mt and his engine code was not recognized...

My engine code was not recognized and it took a little less than 2 weeks to get an update, but it was well worth the wait.

Buy it you wont regret it.

razah9

I too got 3.5 SE CVT Works great

LinkNuc

I don't have any performance mods on my Altima, as I have no reason to believe anything on this forum, as the only proof is "butt dyno". I installed the short shift kit which was a great mod, but based on prior experience with my 350Z and Titan, I am a little more skeptical now, I too had the placebo effect that really ended up being maybe 0.5 mpg and 10 HP at the wheels greater, which is barely Butt-dynoable. I just think that its really lame to take newbies for a ride as far as performance is concerned. IF you like look, sound etc fine, but Don't put bullsh*t claims out there on a magic bullet grounding kit that will give you 2mpg, come on! That's why I am super skeptical about this, especially because the product hasn't even been tested by its producer for numbers, think about it.

mcheddadi

mods that make big a** difference : I suggest turbo kit. for powercoilovers and wider more grippier tires for handling and short shifter kit with heavier knob for car feel.

mods that make noticeble difference but not drastic in order of most to less:y-pipe, headers, springs, catdelete, endlinks.

mods that make little difference but are cool for the sound: intake and exhaust.mods that just look cool: grounding kit

mods I have yet to try : pulley, strutbar

there you go, a no bulls*** list man. enjoy! i'll place BDTuner in there when I get the tune.

razah9

mcheddadi

what are we looking at there?

speed chart?

Return to “Altima General Discussions”