New Girl to Nico Staggered 19s

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
EX-KAT-35
Car: EX35, V70R, Civic

EibachMBZ wrote:Well said Steve.

I also wanted to add that the weight difference for wider rims will also need to put into consideration. From the tire spec you posted earlier, your rear wheels are about 5lbs heavier than front wheels.

245 and 275 tires have 30mm difference in section width. Based on the service manual, seems like that is far more than the 8mm factory system could accept...
I've been WAITING for someone to post up about weight difference. :rotfl I was gonna mention it myself. :chuckle:

How about this one: Increased wear on axles, bushings, bearings, and brakes from larger wheels. Did Infiniti go into re-engineering these parts for the 2011 EX35 with 19inch wheels? No.

I've heard it b4, its old news on all modified AWD systems. :yesnod

Heck... its a wonder our cars can even make it down the block. I mean the weight of the driver on the one side of the car MUST throw everything out of balance and out of wack:

Ride height lowered on one side
Tire sidewall all smashed down and messing up the TCS.
Getting honks and mad stares of other drivers cause the speedometer is off; reading slow.
Corner balancing of the car messed up.
Bumps destroying the TPS sensors & alighment bcs of low sidewall height.
Running out of gas from the miscalibrated trip computer.

Goodness. Infiniti spent all this time engineering the drivetrain they must be making a loss on the car... no NO they're not, bcs they cut money in the brake & battery depts.

I know a tonnn of Infiniti owners with warped brakes - I'll let that go for now.

Drivetrain engineers always freak when something is done to the wheel diameter, offset, weight.

Aerodynamics engineers always freak when we drive down the freeway with the window down.

Well we measured the weights of the wheels b4 mounting and they are LIGHTER than the stock wheels. My EX is actually FASTER to react to the throttle now (no its not the theoretically shorter tire diameter bcs wheels were compared side-by-side). Car is lighter and more reactive on its feet than b4 but no one cared to ask; how it handles? I'm good for now - the EX handles greater than ever.

PS: And the difference in weight front-to-rear is a lot less than 5 lbs something like 1 or 2 or very similar I remember. Not taking lab notes so I don't remember but SURPRISINGLY close in weight.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

We are open for all types of new information here. I don't know why you are coming in here with an annoying G37driver attitude. No one here really cares what you do...we are not here to talk you out of doing anything.
I know most of us would like to see this play out. :rotflmao

If you do a little research on the warped rotors you will see that over and improper torquing of the wheels and improper cooling of rotors. Coming from Euros I am sure you know about extreme brake dust and soft rotors though, since most highline cars actually use brake parts from the same suppliers. Off the top of my head I'm thinking Brembo and Akebono.

No one here is doubting the ability to change the wheels the only thing that the data says is to use the same offset and tire size.

EX-KAT-35

What is a "G37driver attitude"? Care to share?

Sounds like generalized prejudging/prejudice is going on. Example: saying "you people" or "people like you".

EibachMBZ
Car: EX35

Hi Kat,

When I mentioned about the weight... I was pointing to the weight difference between front wheel and rear wheel. Not stock wheel and after market wheel.
Normally, AWD cars are designed/programmed to have same size, weight, offset all the way around. Not staggered. (Unless like a GT-R or 911 Turbo which they were designed differently)
With same size/spec wheel all the way around for AWD system, they are not going to mess up the geometry. All 4 wheel will be monitored equally and power will be sending out as programmed.
However the system will be messed up when the traction is different for any of the wheel in AWD system. You are now having better rear traction due to increased weight and wider tires for the rear.

We have tried to explain this to you for several times but you never really listened.

You kept bring up some technical things like the running diameter, the tiny % difference, possible reasons to trigger factory system, and talk about the axel and this and that. But those are not helping you to debate about the issue with your setup.

So I am going to make it really simple for you.

For Infiniti EX35 AWD you are not suppose to run staggered setup. The system only have this tiny tolerance and you are already crossing the line.

You can choose to listen, or not. Its your car, your choice.

I mod cars for 15 years and I made many mistakes. I also been in business in this industry for a long time... Like Steve kept saying, we are not here to talk you out of mod cars. We would like to see your EX with nice wheels, body kits, turbo/super charged if you wish but also properly done. We hate to see you complain about the transfer case months later and gave up on Infiniti because you did something that we explained to you that you should have never done.

And I always wanted to add this but I was trying to be nice. I will never ever buy something for my gf to put on her car that will endanger her and life of her car.

EX-KAT-35

Here I'll keep my message today simple. I understand your explanations, hear your concerns, name-calling, and short-poke insults. :poke:

Please don't take our discussion on cars to a personal level. :nono:

I'll keep my side of the bargain and act like a lady. :laugh:

EX-KAT-35

Still rolling strong going on 7 years :bigthumb:

ExNolove
Car: Infiniti EX35

Looks good.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”