New DIY S13 Suspension Part

Articles, modifications, maintenance, DIY's, how-to's and general information for 240sx owners.
Stev0n
Car: 90 LS13.5 M6
08 HD Superglide 106ci M6
94 Ranger
97 mercury sable
96 Rape Van

Overview:

Difficulty:

Time:

Cost: ~$10

Materials:

Tools:

Procedure:

Tho I state this is s DIY I didn't take alot of pics mainly will explain what I did, anyone with mediocre cutting and drilling skills should be able to get the jist of what I'm saying.

So I assume most of you saw this post zerothread/428512

Reading this post halfway down the page
sicj wrote:cool. surprised this didn't come out long ago!

looks like 1.5" x .25~.375 bar stock

I'll make my own. super simple.
confirmed what i already thought, I can make that. So I headed to Home Depot for the metal.

I bought 24" and as you can see had plenty left. I suggest buying the 18" pieces they sell there that are like 90c cheaper.

I got home unbolted the stock braces and marked my bar with green tape to cut my steel to equal length. I then laid the stock brace on top of my newly cut steel and drilled a hole through the center of the hole on the stock brace.

I spun the piece around and drilled a hole in the other side.

Repeat this step to have a matching pair.

Then I went to Ace hardware and got longer length M8x1.25 bolts (to bolt into the chassis, and go through the subframe brace and steel piece) also picked up lock washers, and nuts.

4 Bolts, 2 washers, 2 nuts= around $5

I went home and installed

I had to loosen the 17mm nut going between the subframe bracket and subframe spacers (I have Powered BY Max Collar spacers BTW) After loosening the nut it allowed the bracket to lower so I could fit the bolt and steel between the bracket and a hard rubber piece directly above it.

oh to answer another thing
johngriff wrote:
If you are going to make your own, just make sure you choose your material carefully. We thought about using barstock, but decided against it because it didn't fit our maximized specifications.

But you have to figure that your time is worth something, sourcing material, cutting, measuring, fabricating etc etc... we are pricing this inline so that its easier for you to get it in the mail, and install it quickly.
sicj wrote:well it's cheaper for you guys to get a sheet and water jet 20+ pieces per sheet, than to get bar stock. That's understandable.

Anyone can get a 2 ft length of bar stock in similar demensions for no more than $10. But your right a lot of people aren't mechanically inclined to fabricate...

I like what you got and the nice laser etching is sweet too!
johngriff wrote:Again, the bar stock is still not the most effective way, just because of the way this works. There is some science behind this, and I am willing to take the pepsi challenge against a home fab any time.

:-)
Not sure if these steel slabs are considered bar stock, but they are pretty legit in there strength, and what I agreed with my friend about this on is that home made braces have to be better than stock so John's product may be better but I'm sure this is a decent upgrade.

I haven't driven my car yet nor do I really have a great feel for the car (just swapped on coilovers) So I can't provide feedback. But for my $10 spent I don't care if I notice a difference. It looks cool...

Any questions feel free to ask I'll try my best to answer accurately

Tim

by TimTurboZ

Return to “240sx Articles”