My New To Me 2106 SV

A forum for the Nissan Quest... minivan lovers unite!
RonBranam12
Car: 2016 Nissan Quest SV

Closed the deal and picked this up yesterday. 39k miles. I already have planned modifications, mostly to prepare it for camping. I refer to it as my mini motorhome. But, I can take all the gear out and still haul people. I have never named my vehicles, but this one will be named Rocinante.

I have a few questions.

I accidently dropped something behind the glove compartment. I say "accidentally" because I thought it was a shelf. The glove department will now not close. Is there any easy way to get it out without taking the glove compartment off?

I test-drove two Quests. On each, the seatbelt light is continuously on. Is this a common fault with Quests, or just coincidence? (I am making arrangements with the selling dealer to get it fixed.)

Has anybody got any references and or experience with "camping kits" for these? Friends have said they exist, but I have not seen any, either for real or online.

Has anybody else used theirs for a camping vehicle. I don't mean just as a hauler for camping stuff. Something you sleep in?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
20210904_143519 Resized.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RonBranam12 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm
I accidently dropped something behind the glove compartment. I say "accidentally" because I thought it was a shelf. The glove department will now not close. Is there any easy way to get it out without taking the glove compartment off?
The glove box hinges just snap together. Open it about halfway and pull straight back on one side until the snap lets go, then the other side.
RonBranam12 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:13 pm
I test-drove two Quests. On each, the seatbelt light is continuously on.
Lots of Quests are kiddie-mobiles and we see a lot of jammed buckle switches from ice cream drips and cracker crumbs. They don't come apart and are hard to clean out, so they usually need to be replaced. It's also possible the OCS sensor in the righthand seat cushion is mis-calibrated and needs its zero point reset, that type of OCS often drifts as the components age. The first thing to do is buckle both of the front belts and see which one is causing the issue. If neither one extinguishes the light then chances are the problem is in the OCS.

RonBranam12

Thanks VStar650CL. I'll give that glove box thing a go. I hope I don't break it. Plastic and I do not get along well. As for the seat belt latches, since dealer is fixing under warrantee, I'll leave it up to them.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Shouldn't be any problems with plastic embrittlement on a 5-year-old vehicle, and the hinges are very sturdy. I wouldn't worry too much about breaking them.

RonBranam12

Glove box problem solved. Easy Peasy. Now, another question.
Is the temperature gauge designed to stay "normal" over a large range of temps? I know it is that way on my Mazda and the consensus is if it starts to climb, it may be too late.
I live next to the Sierra Nevadas. There is a 4-lane highway not far that climbs from just over 1,000' to 4,000' in about 4 miles. I wanted to test the vehicle, so I drove it with all AC on full, cruise control set at 60, which is the speed limit. Outside ambient temperature about 100. The van maintained the speed and the temp gauge stayed at normal. I'm hoping that is a good sign.

BTW: There is a sign at the bottom of this grade that says
AVOID OVERHEATING
TURN OFF AIR CONDITIONING

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I've never seen any "signal damping" in any Nissan ECT or gauge, and the stock VQ cooling systems are pretty bulletproof with good maintenance. I'd be more worried about the tranny, get a cooler installed and either add a trans temp gauge along with it or get a scanner that can stream CVT temperature. Be regular with your CVT fluid changes, too -- routinely climbing long, hot uphills like that puts tremendous shear loads on the fluid which will break it down more quickly than normal. I wouldn't let it go past 30K under any circumstances.

The OP in this post set up a Hayden 679 cooler in a '14 Rogue, your '16 Quest will already have a 4-port beehive and should be a fairly similar installation:

topic627824.html

You might want to check your cluster display options, the late model Maxes have a trans temp gauge as an available display so your Quest may have it too. If not, this is how I added a gauge to the wife's Altie so I could quit using my phone for a dashboard. If you want to do something similar, I can help you out with wire identification on your Quest, the installation principle will be identical:

topic629608.html

RonBranam12

Hmmm.. Transmission cooler. Hadn't thought of that. The example I used about getting into the Sierra Nevadas is an extreme test, but I do expect to do some serious mountain driving. After all, I live in the west where there are real mountains.

Can I surmise that 'I've never seen any "signal damping" in any Nissan ECT or gauge' means the temp gauge does not programmed to stay normal over a large range of temps?

I'm afraid both your examples are way over my head, mechanically.

What's a beehive?
VQ=?
Altie = Altima?
Max = Maxima?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RonBranam12 wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:33 pm
Can I surmise that 'I've never seen any "signal damping" in any Nissan ECT or gauge' means the temp gauge does not programmed to stay normal over a large range of temps?
Yes, it means they read accurately and no funny business.
RonBranam12 wrote:
What's a beehive?
It's the transmission warmer on the side of all Nissan CVT's. It's also where any cooler hoses will connect. The name is because it looks sort of like an old-school beekeeper's box.
RonBranam12 wrote:
VQ=?
The series designation for current generation Nissan V6's. Yours is a VQ35.
RonBranam12 wrote:
Altie = Altima?
Max = Maxima?
Yes and yes.

RonBranam12

Thanks. New jargon I'm having to learn.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

RonBranam12 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:38 am
Thanks. New jargon I'm having to learn.
You're most welcome. CVT's are a sort of Wally World compared to regular A/T's, even for technicians. There's definitely a corresponding Wally Lexicon. No worries, happy to help. :gapteeth:

RonBranam12

I spent my first race weekend in the Quest. IMSA/Weathertech at Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca. I picked up a piece of 3/4"x4'x8' plywood on Wednesday and Thursday morning my neighbor and I cut it to fit the dimensions I wanted, which was based on my twin size foam pad. All my camping/cooking gear, including food and ice chest, fit in the rear storage area. Clothes in the front
passenger seat. I still have a few "quirks" to work on, but a few more weekends and it will be good.

Between here and the coast I go over Pacheco Pass which climbs from an elevation of 118' and tops out at 1,368' This is all on four-lane divided road with cruise control set at 70. Not a problem. The east side is much steeper than the west side, but still made it easily. Had to watch for slow trucks in the slow lane and slow cars in the fast lane.

Pacheco Pass 1,368
Los Banos 118'

RonBranam12

I spent my second race weekend in the "mini motor home." From 9/9 to 9/20, I slept in it 8 nights. Here's some photos. I am very, very happy with this setup. A few minor adjustments still need to be made, though.

My bedroom.
20210916_151142 resized.jpg
My k!tchen and dining area.
20210916_151215 resized.jpg

alexspeed
Car: 2009 Nissan Murano SL

I don't know if that looks cozy but I think it is since you survive a couple of nights sleeping on this car.

RonBranam12

alexspeed wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:56 pm
I don't know if that looks cozy but I think it is since you survive a couple of nights sleeping on this car.
Prior to this I had a 4' X 8' teardrop trailer in which I spent 471 documented nights over a 10 year period. This has a lot more room.

RonBranam12

Just to let you know I am back. Was this forum down for a while? I had it set as a favorite then was getting page not found so I deleted it. Today I found the link in an email and viola! It worked!
I'm so glad because I've learned a lot here. Much more than another Quest forum and Facebook group. Still tryin g to resolve the ELM327/cvtz250 matchup. I have another "ELM327" on order.

RonBranam12

PS: I have to date spent 16 nights in this vehicle saving approximately $1,500 in motel bills.

Return to “Quest Forum”