My latest invention. Looking for feedback, help naming it and maybe beta testers

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
jonnydclark1
Car: 2011 G37x, 2007 QX56, 2001 Kawasaki Concours

Hello Ladies and Gents,
I believe I have made a better mouse trap and this forum post is actually its world debut (yes it is patent pending). Since everyone is in love with their own ideas, I don't know if the improvements are real or imagined. My idea is to improve the hitch mounted cargo carrier such that when it is empty it won't stick out making it hard to reach into your vehicle / complicate parking or fold upward and cover up the trunk lid / lift gate. I have made a very crude version of this without proper machinery and started using / testing it. I have quite a few improvements already being incorporated in the next version which will be made professionally. I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially if you already have a cargo carrier or are considering buying one. If you have one or are considering buying one, what type of items do you carry most often (suit cases, firewood, ice chest)? If you see value in it, how much more would you pay for this vs the fixed versions on the market (they range from $50 - $200). Yes I know I need to do a statistically significant sampling of my target market...

Folded up. Next iteration will be under 5 inches "deep" when collapsed and 2.5" tall.

Expanded...Image

In use....

I plan on doing a round of field trials / beta testers prior to going to market with the expectations of more improvements to be made by feedback / experience of the beta testers. Let me know if you are interested in beta testing. (BTW I'm a mechanical engineer with a test engineering background.)

jonnydclark1

So far, these have come to mind...

SmartFold Cargo Carrier
FoldSmart Cargo Carrier
Fold & Scroll Cargo Carrier

Suggestions welcome.

Pento240sx
Car: 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 1981 Datsun 210 Deluxe, 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima Deluxe and 1999 Infiniti Q45t.

Hello. You could add a cage/net that could attach to it and with a lock. That's all I could think of.

For names:
Easy fold portable carrier
Porter Carrier
Roll-out carrier

jonnydclark1

Thanks. My next iteration will have hooks for bungee cords or webbing. I haven't thought about a lock.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

jonnydclark1 wrote:So far, these have come to mind...

SmartFold Cargo Carrier
FoldSmart Cargo Carrier
I like these 2 the best.
Good idea too, although I've never used one of those/never had the need... not married, no kids here.

wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Great idea!

Can't hardly bring myself to call it "fold" when it does not fold. Scroll would describe it accurately.

Smart Scroll Cargo carrier
Scroll 'n Go Cargo Carrier
Slim Scroll cargo carrier

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

That's clever! I like it.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Neat device! I like the Scroll 'n Go name. The sides fold right? If so, fold or scroll, it kind of does both. Check the lengthy patents and copyrights lists.

I like the idea of a locking cover of some sort, but don't know how to implement such an idea. I suppose most cargo carriers on the exterior aren't locked unless they are a full cabinet sort of thing. If it had locks somewhere, what would stop someone from just slicing a knife through the bottom and all the contents fall down for the taking? Metal mesh in the fabric maybe? If you did get a locking system invented, you could sell it as a separate item/ upgrade.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 pm
Neat device! I like the Scroll 'n Go name. The sides fold right? If so, fold or scroll, it kind of does both.
Ohhhh, I see it now. Lol.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

I was just talking to my wife about a cargo carrier the other day. We've got an 05 Sequoia, 2 month old twin boys, a 20 month old boy, and the two of us. My wife sits in the 3rd row for now to keep an eye on the twins while they're still young, and to keep our oldest entertained (he sits in the 3rd row also). That only leaves us with the small space behind the 3rd row and the passenger front seat to put all our crap and the stroller(s) on trips.

I had the idea of using an igloo cooler or something similar in size as a storage for luggage or whatever we could fit in it. We looked at some all metal ones and they run $100 or less. I'd be willing to pay a bit more for convenience.

jonnydclark1

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Yes the arms fold in and the "scroll" / spool stays fixed in the front. The unnecessarily long bolts sticking down are used as hinges.

I think most people don't lock their belongings on there. They either just use it for transport and take them inside when they get to their destination or they don't put high value stuff on it (cooler & gas can etc). I could be wrong. I definitely have a lot of market research yet to do to find out what people carry most often and how they see the device meeting their needs or not.

I've been through the patent search process and filed a provisional patent. This gives me about 8 more months of further development before applying for the real patent. I should get the pieces for my Beta version this week. (Cut of CNC laser instead of my hack saw and Dremel.)

centralcoaster33

Cool stuff! Where will you be needing Beta Testers?

jonnydclark1

centralcoaster33 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm
Cool stuff! Where will you be needing Beta Testers?
I'm in South Carolina. Finding someone local would be ideal but it is more important to find people who will actually use it regularly and provide honest feedback. Eventually I'll need to design and test packaging too right? So I'm open to shipping. Bonus points if the tester has some sort of internet following / blog etc that could later help spread the word about a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter etc.

centralcoaster33

Good requirements. I'd put one on my hitch for a while, but I'm in CA. It shouldn't be too hard to find a tester near you with a taste for the outdoors. I think a well-written, non-bias review (with photos!) is a fair exchange for testing out a new product.

jonnydclark1

Hey guys,
I've made a few iterations and now tested it with 300+ lbs for around 2,000 miles. I added some built in straps and D-rings and am getting really close to doing some pre-production sales (Tesla style) but need to know what a reasonable price point is. If I make them in the US there won't be any profit but I could at least test the market and maybe get the final design bugs out. If I made them over seas I could get the price competitive with whats on the market but need to buy 100 - 500 at a time.

Please take a look at my cheesy video and the picture below and tell me if you think the product should sell at a premium to what is on the market vs priced the same as what is on the market. I'm thinking for low volume I probably need to sell at $199 and once I can order in larger volume it could come down to $149 if needed.

Rough home made video exploring a possible story line for kickstarter campagin..

A cheesy infomercial style video but illustrates the problems I'm trying to solve.

EdBwoy

I think the videos are great. Once you see them, you can't divorce the name scroll N go from the product. They just work together. Good job wa-chiss!
Btw, our youtube tags seem to work better this way: Don't copy the share link for the video. Open the video in a new desktop mode tab/window and copy the contents of the address bar. Paste that on Nicoclub and enclose with the [youtube] tags and it will show as an embedded video rather than links.

A little off topic, but still on line with market research, do you think you could make it more visible? My understanding is that you were going for "low profile" and not exactly "invisible hitch", right? If so, I think it is low profile enough to not catch people's attention and a lot of bruised shins are in your future. Not that that takes away from its functionality in any way.
I thought if you don't want to paint the entire rear-facing bar highlighter yellow, you could have some hi-viz lettering for scroll N go.

Pricing
How do those $149 and $199 target prices compare to the market - premium or comparable? If you'd still be able to stay above water on the deal, then I'd stay with the market and not under. Get bold and price it a Dollar over the competitor - it's a power move.
I see volume sales in areas where space is at a premium. Plus how easy it is to carry compared to a cage.
When version 2 comes around (I see room for a few refinements), then bump up the price.

All my opinions, of course.
Congratulations on the progress

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Everything is looking great man! Wish I had some feedback for you, but if I had a hitch on a truck, I'd buy one now!

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

EdBwoy wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:58 pm
I think the videos are great. Once you see them, you can't divorce the name scroll N go from the product. They just work together. Good job wa-chiss!
Lol, thanks.

johnnyd, There's really only 2 things I would add to the system.

Possibly a crank handle on the scrolling part to help not only to roll it up, but to also get it rolled up tight. It could also be used to tighten the fabric once you've loaded it.

Some form of rubber strip or "grip tape" on the square bar. I know people would use those areas for steps and would like to see some traction device.

You have a wonderful device here, and it appears a wonderful family also. Keep up the good work.

Return to “General Chat”