My Build Thread - Boost or Bust

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

This project under goes a huge change on page two about half way down. The short of it is that I made the decision to switch back to the turbo instead of running the super charger. Money and time won't allow for the charger build to be done right and I'm not going to half-a** my own build.

Project Deviance

4 years ago I tossed the #3 rod right through the side of my block. It sat for so long the tires went flat and rabbits ate a big chunk of the wiring under the hood. I towed it around the country because we moved 2 more times after it popped. The amount of work it was going to require to get it running again totally destroyed any motivation I might have had. A good friend of mine and Nico staff member recently had some nasty s***e happen in his life. We had all kinds of really good advice to give him. But Greg, AZHitman, said something that really made me think about where my life was going. He said sometimes you just have to unload all the negative equity in your life and start over. Or something close to that...anyway...I had so many projects on my plate that I was simply overwhelmed. So I traded my K5 Blazer for a huge Thomas The Train set. My son Dylan (2) loves it, instant win for me. I junked my spare S14 and I chose to get the f*** up and get the damn car running again.

Last night she started and drove under her own power for the first time in 4 long years. I lapped the block a few times, no electric fan yet, and she didn't even stall or throw a code. Which is F'N awsome considering I jut rewired every sensor under the hood. It was an excellent first drive.

It took 3 weeks of almost daily sessions to get her rewired and running. I had to stop often since my main job is taking care of Dylan. That and I hate wiring...HATE. So I would get so pissed off that I would have to walk away to avoid adding fist prints to the hood/fenders I have some anger issues

I digress...I ended up having change the fuel pump and the damn sender because they both went bad. Then I had no ground from the ecu to the fuel pump relay. I'm not a fan of hot wiring the fuel pump, I like to know it will shut off if I wreck Turns out my dumbass didn't connect the crank alignment plug

Once I had power everywhere I couldn't get her to start. So I played the dizzy game for 2 days because I kept going off a tooth, then I installed the plugs in the wrong damn firing order without realizing it...which made me redue the timing more then once FOR NO REASON It just goes to show that no matter how many times you've done something or how much you THINK you know...we all make really stupid mistakes

So she's in need of a serious cleaning and I have a ton of little things to finish up. But the project is underway. I'll try to add a new post every couple of days with actual progress.

Here's a NEW teaser pic...

The end goal is to have the supercharger mounted semi-close to where you see it in the above pic. No...I'm not joking. I'm also going to run a staged propane injection system that I've been working on and talking about for at least 5 years. I'd like to take this time to Thank Chris, MinisterofDOOM one of our admins, for donating the supercharger for the price of shipping. No way I could be doing this otherwise. Again, my plans have changed on pg 2 and I'll now be using a turbo instead of the charger.

This project is going to be an expression of my personality to the best of my ability. Lots of boost and Propane Injection screams obnoxious and out of control. Which is how I have always approached cars. Enter Project Deviance.

WD

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

SlIp'n'sLiDe
Car: 240

Rofl, but in the end the car was running,so you can look back and laugh at all the mistakes you made along the way. The best one is where something ends up just f*****, and sometimes, the only thing you can do is tell the person that's helping you,"Hey man, come over and check this S*** out." Anyway, back to the important part, congrats on getting the 240 running again(its been almost 4 years for mine, i know the feeling, but it should be done soon ), and good luck with the build.
Modified by SlIp'n'sLiDe at 7:07 AM 3/24/2010

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

Very good sir. Glad you got off your lazy a** and did something with the car.. lol

Take pictures man. You'll regret it later on when you don't have them. I know I'm hating myself for it.

WDRacing

This thread will be flooded with pics and info

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Cool.

I dread just wiring my ebc, I couldn't comprehend rewiring the whole car.

WDRacing

I'd have just swapped the whole harness but this good S14 has ABS. You aint routing crap behind that f***er. So I had cut and splice everything...I get a little nauseated just thinking about it again.

Think a single 30 AMP relay is enough to run 2 electric fans? I really don't wanna wire to separate relays...they are the AC fans that the S14 uses. I am attaching mine together and wiring them to a toggle until I get a thermostat switch. Gotta use the parts I have on hand. I'll have some pics of this later on today.

WD

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

I'd think a 30 would work. Think I'm running 2 20amp fuses on my altima fans wired separately with relays/switches.

zerepdivad
Car: '90 240sx . '02 Lexus IS300

Turbonator +superchargeR?

Chris28
Car: 92 s13 KA-T

I ran a 30 amp fuse with my Altima fans, never had a problem.

I'm glad you're finally working on it again! It's only proper that the KA-T moderator actually drives something with forced induction, let alone a KA

edit: How's that battery in your first picture working out for you? Light for weight savings, right?

trackslut240
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX

MOAR PICS OR BAN!!!!(seriously can you ban a moderator...hmm... ...nevermind)

glad you could start a topic after promising for about two years now...i applaud you on the wiring job...

to be on the safer side, two relays and fuses will allow you to upgrade fans later too and will not tax wiring. when i ran the fal twin fans on one relay i could get first degree burns holding the wires for a few second, so i split the fans apart having a 30amp fuse and relay each.(after rereading this i came to conclusion that my wiring skills su*k)
Modified by trackslut240 at 10:20 AM 3/25/2010

ss82480
Car: 1992 240sx Coupe

About damn time...

WDRacing

I needed to remove the clutch fan in order to follow through with the pulley and belt location I decided on. Obviously that means running electric fans…which I didn’t have. I was going to source some Ford Taurus E-Fans but I never made it to the junkyard. I found myself ready to start the car and see if it was drivable…which is hard to do when you have no fans. So I was in my shop and I saw one of my S14 AC Fans in the corner under a box. It’s been removed and sitting in a box for about as long as the car has been down…lol. So I took my old AC fan and the one from my spare S14 and laid them out on my “work table”.

I measured my Koyo Radiator and it’s 27.5 inches wide and I can’t remember how tall, 17 inches sounds right. Anyway I knew what would need to be trimmed in order to make the AC fans work. So I trimmed the tangs off the sides and lined them up next to each other.

I used a tie strap and some Duct Tape to hold the fans in place so I could drill them and secure them with steel rivets. I failed at taking pictures of the rivets. But there are 3 steel rivets used to secure the fans. I picked the fans up and deiced that I would drill a few more holes and use some .050 wire as well just to be sure these dudes don’t vibrate the rivets loose. I then wrapped the wire and rivets with a rubber self adhesive tape. This tape is awesome and works on things ranging from leaky plumbing to electrical.

Then I had to figure out the wiring aspect. More f***ing wiring was exactly what I didn’t want to do…lol. So I simply wired one fan to the other. This enabled me to use the most existing wire as possible and the stock 30 amp AC relay and the existing fuse. The way it sits right now the fans only come on when I have the AC button depressed. But I’ll be adding a toggle switch to the relay so that the ground for the relay is given from the ECU when the AC comes on and or when the toggle is switched on. This is only a temporary fix and not something I'd suggest, I’ll be adding a thermostatic switch soon. This is a simple switch that will trigger the relay when it sees 160 degree’s via a probe in the radiator. Again I’ll only have to run a few wires because I’m using the stock connections.

Then I lowered the fans into place and secured them with special tie straps designed to hold E-Fans in place.

It actually fits pretty damn good

My 2 year old Dylan and is tiger Hobbs. Hobbs goes everywhere with Dylan, remind anyone of anything?

My car port and me.

Chris28 wrote:I'm glad you're finally working on it again! It's only proper that the KA-T moderator actually drives something with forced induction, let alone a KA

edit: How's that battery in your first picture working out for you? Light for weight savings, right?
I'm glad to man. I'm a boost addict to the core and not having a fun car for so long has really handicapped my life. Life is all about choices. Bout time I got out of this slump

That's a special type of battery dude. It's small but provides all the power a 240 will ever need. It's a micro ZPM. I'll buy a beer for the first person that knows where ZPM came from

WD

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Bring it out to Nashville this year so I can take it for a 'lil spin

Repo Man
Car: '15 RAM 1500, 4x4

F'ing awesome bro. Can't wait to see some streetfire vids of that beotch.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

since I only pretend to read, I just skimmed the pics...what's the blower, Eaton M90 off a GM 3.8?

Lonismos14
Car: 1995 Nissan 240sx, 1999 Chevy Hoe, 1996 Saturn Sl2

Bout time wd. I know you have a s*** loads of knowledge i was wondering why your car wasnt in the kat picture thread.

Carry on

WDRacing

Mr1der wrote:since I only pretend to read, I just skimmed the pics...what's the blower, Eaton M90 off a GM 3.8?
M62 off of the Xterra. Since I'm using a FMIC and propane I'll be able to spin her way up. Hopefully more then 15 psi. If I don't get an easy 15 psi without the temps going crazy I'll upgrade to a M112. But I'm certain that I'll be able to pass 15 psi without even retarding the timing

Propane FTMFW

WD

Razi
Car: Moo

Nice beast you got going WD!

GTR PrYdE
Car: 1993 Nissan 240SX, 2003 Evolution VIII

Good luck on your build! Excited to see how the propane setup works out!

Doya
Car: '95 240sx KA-T

WDRacing wrote: I'll buy a beer for the first person that knows where ZPM came from

WD
ZPM, (Zero Point Module), found by Jack O'Neill in the SG-1 season 7 finale "Lost City" at an abandoned outpost, and used to power Ancient weaponry left behind on Earth to repel Anubis' attack on Earth.

I'll take that beer now

MaximA32

Doya wrote:
ZPM, (Zero Point Module), found by Jack O'Neill in the SG-1 season 7 finale "Lost City" at an abandoned outpost, and used to power Ancient weaponry left behind on Earth to repel Anubis' attack on Earth.

I'll take that beer now
You actually now owe us beers because you copied and pasted straight out of another site.

Brian, it's about time you got that bucket up and running. You get positive beers.

Doya
Car: '95 240sx KA-T

MaximA32 wrote:
You actually now owe us beers because you copied and pasted straight out of another site.
shhhhh..... I'm trying to get some free beer here

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Propane injection... Diesel powered? Or just using it to keep from detonating?

So is this the car you are building that we have a case of beer bet on?

Looks badass broski. Thank God Dylan took after his mom. Cute kid. He does have your evil eye stare in that pic though.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Doya wrote: shhhhh..... I'm trying to get some free beer here
Dude.

You must not know Brian.

[Boston accent]"NOBODY TOUCHEZ MY BEEEE-AH. NOBODY." [/boston accent] (...and then you get punched in the nads.)

Good stuff, Homey. Dylan's a badass just like his Pops. We miss you guys.

WDRacing

Dylan has a 102* fever today, so I'm not getting a lot done on the car. I did manage to get out into the shop so I could start on making my own top feed fuel rail from some stock I bought forever ago. I was trying to figure out the best way to mark the holes when I noticed I had a spare side feed rail sitting on the floor. I lined them up next to each other thought to myself...no f***ing way it's that easy. So I sat the fuel rail stock up against a spare head and placed the side feed rail on top of it. I gave it a good visual centering and decided that it was good enough for me.

I then cleaned the stock with some alcohol and placed the side feed rail back on top. Then I gave each injector port a quick spritz with some black primer, just enough to leave a mark. Done and done

Now I need a new vice so I can drill the holes out...by hand

WD

eazye2000
Car: S13 KA-DET

As always, WD is my hero. I believe that good things would happen if ever we both stepped foot into the same shop.

Keep up the progress. Even if it's just an idea, post it up for some feedback. Get at me on AIM anytime.

WDRacing

Beancooker wrote:Propane injection... Diesel powered? Or just using it to keep from detonating?

So is this the car you are building that we have a case of beer bet on?

Looks badass broski. Thank God Dylan took after his mom. Cute kid. He does have your evil eye stare in that pic though.
Not even close to the same project, but if you wanna buy me a case of beer...lol. If I can afford it, I'll be running a kit from Nitrous Express on top of the super charger. They have jetting tunes for running propane with that as well. I've been reading and reading and then rereading everything I can find on propane. Honestly I'm surprised more people aren't using it.

When propane leaves the bottle, it's so cold it could freeze the solenoid open. If handled in liquid form it can burn the skin the instant it makes contact it's so cold. So we're freezing the in coming air charge just by using it. That doesn't account for it's 110 octane ratio for anti-knock purposes.

I'm working on a major propane write-up so I can add it to this thread. Where I can hopefully shed some well deserved light on a very affordable source of awsomeness. I mean, we're talking about only needing 1 grill sized tank for 1.5 months of race gas on tap. Dude, even if you're an idiot and buy propane from 7-11 you're making money compared the alternative fuel sources. Methanol is $7.50/Gal and I'm sure C116 is about the same if not more.

I could use water injection...but lets face it...when you're gonna have a roots blower sticking out of the hood, water injection just aint as cool as propane.

WD

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

WDRacing wrote:When propane leaves the bottle, it's so cold it could freeze the solenoid open.
Hmm... we're making some new solenoids here that might be able to handle all that...

The biggest problem would be making fittings/adaptors to be able to use whatever I can give you. Doable, but time consuming.

WDRacing

No worries homie, there are actually tons of parts online designed to work with propane. Like I said above, I seriously can't believe more people aren't using propane. If I had a couple thousand dollars...say $2500, I could convert the entire 240 over to propane. With 100% propane you could run 11:1 compression pistons and still run 8 psi of boost. You could also breath out of the tail pipe.

Anyway, for just sub-injection things are very simple. You take a regular propane tank, the size you use for a grill, and mount it in the trunk. You use a 60 psi regulator, 2 or 3 propane rated solenoids and a matching number of boost switches to activate the solenoids. That's it besides tuning. A 2 stage system would be extremely cheap and easy to plumb. The tuning would be done via jet size at the nitrous nozzle. The thing is, I've already read about guys over in the Buick community running propane with great success. Granted, not as many as swear by meth injection, but enough to make me a firm believer.

I've been interested in propane for years now. I've just never been ready to try it. This project just seems to be the perfect place for it

On a side note...

Wow is my stock suspension tired. I think I need to replace everything...suspension is not my forte. I have very little budget for suspension. I consider that almost the lowest priority So if I have to I'll roll out with some fender gap issues. I suppose I could heat them up and "lower" them myself...lol.

WD

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”