Model Year '00 headlights into '98 Q45

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Y33TJPN
Car: 1998 Infiniti Q45

Looking for clarification on swapping the OEM HID headlights from a 2000 Q45 into a model year 1998. The threads I found via the search function advised it was possible with additional wiring but I could not confirm whether I need to pull connectors/other parts from the donor car or pull the headlights only. I also could not find specifics on how to go about wiring to retain headlight functionality. Any guidance is appreciated!

Skibane
Car: 2000 Q45 AE 110K

Before you go hi-dollar - have you considered LED retrofit bulbs instead?

The early bulbs were crap, but some of the recent designs are really good - Excellent cutoff, and brighter than the Infiniti OEM HIDs.

The bulbs I used in my Frontier were "Katana" brand, and only about 40 bucks for the pair. They beat the ever-lovin' poo out of the HIDs in my Q45!

If I didn't already have HIDs in the Q45, that's the route I would have taken for that vehicle, too.

Y33TJPN

Skibane wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:41 pm
Before you go hi-dollar - have you considered LED retrofit bulbs instead?

The early bulbs were crap, but some of the recent designs are really good - Excellent cutoff, and brighter than the Infiniti OEM HIDs.

The bulbs I used in my Frontier were "Katana" brand, and only about 40 bucks for the pair. They beat the ever-lovin' poo out of the HIDs in my Q45!

If I didn't already have HIDs in the Q45, that's the route I would have taken for that vehicle, too.
Thanks for the suggestion! My headlights are extremely yellowed and peeling from lack of protection and I am able to get these headlights for a song if they are still available when I go out to get them. So kind of a win win however if they are NOT available I’ll definitely consider retrofits.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It won't help the yellowing, get a refinishing kit for that, but brighter bulbs may not help you much. Read this post:

topic628117.html

Y33TJPN

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:24 pm
It won't help the yellowing, get a refinishing kit for that, but brighter bulbs may not help you much. Read this post:

topic628117.html
I’ll read that link soon. I am looking to swap the entire headlight assembly - bulbs, lens, housing, everything. The potential donor assembly is in much better condition and is the better looking black housing.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If they're used ones, clean them out before you put them on, it's much easier that way. And stripping the oxide can make an enormous difference.

Y33TJPN

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 pm
If they're used ones, clean them out before you put them on, it's much easier that way. And stripping the oxide can make an enormous difference.
These will be refreshed out of car before install.
I was able to pick up both headlights from the local yard for $80. No cracks, factory Nissan part #. Black housing as it came from an anniversary edition ...best of all someone already pulled them for me prior to my arrival and left everything in tact! Looks like they were after the ballast and bulbs as those were absent from both headlights.

I’m open to suggestions on replacement options that include a ballast. All wiring is there. Should I hold on to these? I bought the warranty so if for any reason I feel it’s not worth the $$ I can return them and only be out $11.00 but figured new pairs are for for between $200-$500 used on eBay and who knows how much life the ballasts or bulbs have left in those. This way I am replacing the consumable parts and at $80 currently I have $120 before I even break $200.

Y33TJPN

Did further research and came across these:

https://www.diodedynamics.com/replaceme ... -pair.html

Diode Dynamics also has Ballasts that run $80 each that pair with this product and would solve my issue of no HID components in headlights I pulled. Would love to hear if someone has used their products. Plans to use a few other lighting pieces from them and would be great to have same kelvins throughout car. Steep compared to others at $200 for bulbs and ballasts but includes 3 year warranty so over the course of three years I feel it’s a small investment.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”