It's not a dim bulb causing your night-blindness!

General discussion area for the L33-chassis Altima.
VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Are your low beams getting dim in their old age, despite no meaningful hazing of the outside lenses? Tried "super bright" Sylvanias or even LED's, but it didn't help? Read on.

I didn't find a "Lighting Forum" here in Nico, but since this post addresses a problem that's particularly common in Gen4~5 Altimas, I'll post it here. However, it can apply to any vehicle with plastic headlamps and halogen bulbs. Low beam "night-blindness" has nothing to do with the brightness of your light source, but everything to do with the construction of the headlights. In most cases a simple swab of alcohol in the right place can fix it, and often restore your headlights' output to almost new.

Don't believe it? Check out these two photos, and forgive the condition of my uniform shirt. The pics were taken with the righthand headlight of a '14 Altima shining on my belly, before and after we restored the focuser lens.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PQU8H1 ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CN5nDJ ... sp=sharing

To understand the problem, you need to realize that the chrome reflectors inside your plastic headlights aren't really chrome. Chrome finishes on plastic are primarily aluminum, electro-deposited in a layer so thin and uniform that it shines like chrome. However, unlike real chrome, which can shine for decades even after living in a junkyard, the aluminum plating will gradually oxidize. This won't form visible corrosion like rusting iron. Instead, in the hot environment of the headlight, the surface gradually sheds molecules of aluminum oxide (Al2O3). Since Al2O3 is a highly charged molecule, it tends to become airborne and form a film on cooler surfaces elsewhere.

Oh. Like the inner lens!

Take a glue brush, one of those fuzzy-ball tipped things sometimes used for cleaning throttle bodies. Remove your bulbs, douse the swab with alcohol, and clean the inside of the focuser (the dome-shaped inner lens). Watch what happens. You'll be pleased!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Here's the right tool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Daubers-R ... Sw8d9UzNe7

Our shop gets them free with throttle body cleaning kits, but I found the most effective online search parameter is "wool dauber". You don't necessarily need one, either -- in a pinch I've used a lint-free paper towel zip-tied to the handle of an ice cream spoon.

3Q Jay
Car: 94 Q45a
95 Q45a (sold)
97 Q45t (sold)
01 B15 Sentra (Daughter's)
Also Mine...
2010 A6 Avant
1977 F-150 (460!)

Great tip!
question: did you 'unweld' the headlight assy, or just bend the dauber and go thru the headlamp capsule backside 'hole' and do the best you could?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No, just go through the hole. The oxides rarely make it to the outer lens in enough quantity to affect brightness, it's the back of the focuser where most of it accumulates. Because it's transparent, the focuser stays much cooler than the aluminum reflector, so it makes a perfect landing ground for hot oxide molecules.

alcravens
Car: 2013 Nissan Quest

I was guided to this thread by another member in the Nissan Quest forum. I'm having the same issue, but with HID headlights. I've tried replacing the bulbs, but no luck. I believe it is the projectors. Any thoughts on whether the projectors in the halogen would be the same as in the HID therefore the same issue could occur??
Thank you

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Anything that has "aluminum chrome" for a reflector can develop oxide blindness, and HID's can develop it even faster because of the higher temperatures. Many HID assemblies have metal reflectors for that reason, but not all. If you find no separate reflector when you pop the bulb out, try cleaning the focusers. It may not help if the chrome is damaged, but it can't hurt and it may fix it.

Ziggy59
Car: 2017 Nissan Altima SR 2.5L

There is a Class Action Lawsuit against Nissan right now due to 2013-2018 Altimas halogen headlamps becoming dim over time due to delamination of reflective surfaces inside the headlamp. The settlement effective date is set to be around January 20, 2022. Nissan will be providing an extended 3 year warranty for headlamp replacement. After the effective date, you can take your vehicle to an Authorized Nissan Dealer for free replacement.

I used to have a '16 Altima, but it had LED headlights so never had an issue. I got my 2017 Altima without LED's and have said since day 1 that these headlights suck. Now I know why.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, when the chrome goes away it's hopeless, and that does happen as often as not. I expect we'll be replacing quite a few of them.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

FYI, Nissan is expected to provide 1-time replacement of the assemblies even if you're beyond the extended warranty, and to reimburse for prior replacements. Your lamps may or may not have peeled chrome, but new is new, better than a lens cleanup. Those of you affected can find and follow the details at this link:

http://www.altimaheadlightsettlement.com/

mfischer12
Car: 2018 Nissan Altima SV

You can go to any shop that can get
Nisan OEM parts and wi reimburse up to$1,800 per headlight. I received two forms with year/make/model and vin filled out. I can take a picture and share anyone would like me to.
VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:17 am
FYI, Nissan is expected to provide 1-time replacement of the assemblies even if you're beyond the extended warranty, and to reimburse for prior replacements. Your lamps may or may not have peeled chrome, but new is new, better than a lens cleanup. Those of you affected can find and follow the details at this link:

<a class="vglnk" href="http://www.altimaheadlightsettlement.com/" rel="nofollow"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>altimaheadlightsettlement</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span></a>
Ziggy59 wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:47 pm
There is a Class Action Lawsuit against Nissan right now due to 2013-2018 Altimas halogen headlamps becoming dim over time due to delamination of reflective surfaces inside the headlamp. The settlement effective date is set to be around January 20, 2022. Nissan will be providing an extended 3 year warranty for headlamp replacement. After the effective date, you can take your vehicle to an Authorized Nissan Dealer for free replacement.

I used to have a '16 Altima, but it had LED headlights so never had an issue. I got my 2017 Altima without LED's and have said since day 1 that these headlights suck. Now I know why.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

When you get your new ones, if you want to go LED and bump up your brightness, check this out. Fair test done by professionals with proper equipment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbG9TWj3z0

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Love the Nissan shirt!
You should sell them on Nico!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:17 am

The bulletin for this just issued today, NTB22-002. There's a 3-year warranty extension, and if you fall under that, just show up at a Nissan dealer. If you're outside the extension period, you can still get a free replacement set one time, but you need to register for it with your VIN and contact info at the Suarez v Nissan website. You'll get a claim number and a confirmation email immediately, just print out the claim number and then show up at a dealer.

Be advised that the headlamp assemblies are already apportioned and on back-order, so act quickly or you may end up on the tail of a long waiting list.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you've already paid for headlights, you only have until April to submit a reimbursement claim, so find your receipts and get cracking. Here are the deadlines as shown on the Suarez v Nissan website:

Reimbursement Claims: April 25, 2022
All Claims Reimbursement Must Be Postmarked or Filed Online by April 25, 2022

In-Warranty Repairs - Within 6 Years of New Purchase or Lease: Begins on Effective Date (January 20, 2022)

One-Time Out-of-Warranty Replacement: (1) File Out-of-Warranty Claim by March 26, 2022, and (2) Obtain replacements from an authorized Nissan dealer between March 27, 2022 - September 23, 2022.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Speaking of 'dim bulbs" , (which I kow are not the cause) but ehre are some not-so-dim bulbs that I use on all my Nissans:

these made in germany Phillips ARE noticeably brighter than "normal" bulbs.
They are stock replacement halogens.
They feature a thinner filament which burns brighter with same current.
Kinda like Some Sylvanias except these last noticably longer (and are not blue lighters)

Size for Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder headlights, your size may vary (Xtreme vision only, not Crystal not blue etc)
https://www.tirerack.com/lighting/detai ... nd=Philips

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PalmerWMD wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:33 pm
these made in germany Phillips ARE noticeably brighter than "normal" bulbs.
They are stock replacement halogens.
They feature a thinner filament which burns brighter with same current.
Kinda like Some Sylvanias except these last noticably longer (and are not blue lighters)
Here's the problem with those super-bright halogens: Because they burn brighter, they also burn hotter. That's not a big deal with reflector lamps like your Pathy and X, but on a projector car like the gen5 Alties, it pretty much assures that your internal chrome will degenerate even faster. For projectors, you're much better served to bite the bullet and spring for reputable LED's. Even then, you may eventually find yourself doing a lens-cleaning like the original subject of this post. Good LED's suck a great deal of the bulb heat out of the headlight housing to be dumped in the engine box, but they still create enough heat to gradually oxidize the chrome. It just happens much more slowly.

GEN1
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima SL 2.5

If you have a 2013-2018 Nissan Altima, YOU SHOULD READ THIS NOW.

Deadline to submit online claim form to qualify for FREE REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHTS, that you are entitled to, is March 26, 2022. Minimum $1,200 value!

Class action settlement determined that these vehicles have a defect that causes an interior reflecting surface of the headlamp to deteriorate, resulting in dimming of the low beam headlights.

How do I know if my Altima was manufactured with halogen headlamps?

All 2013-2018 Nissan Altimas were manufactured with halogen headlamps and are included in the Class, except the following, which were manufactured with Xenon or LED headlamps.

ALTIMAS EXCLUDED FROM THE SETTLEMENT:

Model Years Trim Package/Edition

2013-2015 3.5L SL
2017 3.5L SL
2016-2018 3.5L SL with Tech package
2016-2017 3.5L SR
2016-2017 2.5L SR with LED Appearance pkg
2016-2018 2.5L SL with Tech package
2017 2.5L SR Midnight Edition

For clarity, the Settlement Class Vehicles inlcude all 2013-2018 Altimas manufactured with halogen headlamps, and excludes 2013-2018 Altimas manufactured with Xenon or LED headlamps.

There are over 1,700,000 Nissan Altimas included in this class action settlement. This is close to all Nissan Altimas sold from 2013-2018.

FILE YOUR OUT-OF-WARRANTY CLAIM BEFORE MARCH 26, 2022 … then schedule replacement from an authorized Nissan dealer between March 27, 2022 - September 23, 2022.

Below is the link to file an Out-of-Warranty claim:

https://kccsecure.com/altimaheadlightse ... W/Claimant

Feel free to forward this to anyone whom you know has a Nissan Altima, or to all your Facebook friends.

I did exactly as the settlement stated, took my Nissan Altima to a Nissan Dealer, and they denied me the replacement. As a result, I needed to email the attorney for the class action case, and the Nissan Consumer Affairs Department for Nissan North America. The Nissan Consumer Affairs Department then advised me that “Note that we are well-aware of some dealerships miscommunicating parts of the settlement to Nissan vehicle owners,” and they advised me to schedule my FREE HEADLIGHTS REPLACEMENT again.

Deadline to file a claim is March 26, 2022. See all details via Suarez v. Nissan story below. It includes a FAQ if more info is needed.

I have shared this post to demonstrate that, if you are denied by the dealership, this does not mean you are not entitled to FREE REPLACEMENT HEADLIGHTS.

If you don’t act now (before March 26,2022), thinking “My headlights seem fine”, and then 3months later your lights are suddenly dim, you are unfortunately out of luck.

This is not a recall that is good indefinitely. This is a lawsuit settlement that you were automatically opted into if you didn’t already opt out by 11/22/2021 (whether you knew about the class action lawsuit or not.

Something to consider:
If you have an Nissan Altima from 2013-2018, you likely have headlights on your vehicle that could effectively depreciate the value of your vehicle if you later want to sell it.

Return to “5th Generation Altima Sedan (2013-2018)”