Making 1st generation look more aggressive.

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Imho there are 2 ways to make your Nissan Rogue more aggressive. Either lower your Rogue with springs to get a more sportier speed racer look or lifting your Rogue and adding beefy tires.

The oem present rogue as is, represents the perfect height as your typical grocery-getting mommy mobile.

I chose the latter but they don’t make lift kits for the 1st generation in America. Moreover, I didn’t want to use those universal kits for those people who like using big rims on their sedans you see on the street all the time.

They do have this European company that makes aluminum spacers but it cost nearly $1,500 to get the package I would want, so not very cost effective.

Anyways, I finally found a lift kit made in Russia. 40 mm front, 45mm rear.

So my month long project began. I’m taking my time because nobody has done this on a Rogue that I could follow with their advice.

After much research, I felt I could handle this installation.

I’m a small puny guy, so it was a slow grueling process trying to install the spacers on my front struts, but with a little ingenuity I completed the front. It’s best to have a second pair of hands but unfortunately I did not.

Well I thought the rear would be easier, BOY I was wrong. All I needed was more droop in the rear which I couldn’t do.

So after being ignored by a couple of mobile mechanics, I got one who was sympathetic to my situation.

I soon realized all these mobile mechanics are scared of dealing with springs because it’s too dangerous of a job that you need a car lift, blah, blah, blah!

I guess ignorance is bliss because my puny a** already took care of that issue and removed the springs for these mechanics with decades of experience to my ZERO BACKGROUND.

Well after the mechanic helped me put the spacer on my right rear coil he couldn’t get the last bolt in and left with his service fee. He then calls me a few days later saying this is not his type of work and left me hanging and said to put it back to normal.

Well I can’t return it back to normal when it took both of us to where it’s at now.

Eventually my 10 yr old daughter drove the bolt in while I aligned it with a crowbar. The irony of it all.

I am taking a break from the project until I find a brave mobile mechanic to help me. But I did start the left side but after a few days trying to remove the sway bar bolt with heat from a candle flame and tons of penetration oil and wd40, I finally got that off but not until I smashed my face on the rotors. Pissed me off but happily I got the right angle while lying on my back using my legs for leverage and brick stairs behind me to push against.

Holy crap that was the bolt from hell

Now I have my left coil off. Right now I’m just relaxing until I’m ready to move forward.

I’m just ranting because my puny 100lb weak old a** has done over 70% of the installation and even gave these mechanics a job on a silver platter without doing the dangerous springs but they can’t be bothered. Springs will kill you.

I know that, but I was safe and I did it for them already.

They must want to make the big bucks on oil changes or brakes from the public but not do any hard back breaking repairs I assume.

Anyways, I’m really close to completion. :inout:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

:worthless:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Love it! Let's see some pics Casper!

Even the hardest maintenance / repair jobs leave you with a feeling of accomplishment (after the aches and pains subside). :)

casperfun

No problem, these are pictures I posted previously on this forum. The final pictures were in the member photo gallery. Here they are again.

Before.

After.

Thanks Russia for making these spacers!

Now add the large All-Terrain Tires & new rally wheels.

Mom-mobile is now transformed into zombie apocalypse off-Rogue vehicle

:cool:

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Looks awesome! :dblthumb:
However, it does appear to be missing a Hello Kitty Zombie Outbreak Response Team Window Decal

BTW, how do you like the Toyo tires?

casperfun

Lolz on the kitty, my kid would probably love that in a decal version. Would that mean kitty would be on the menu? :bowrofl:

Forgot to mention that I finished this project all by myself after the mobile mechanic quit on me. You can read the extensive details in the Rogue member’s photo gallery. :bang

Personal preference, since I downsized I really dig the larger sidewall and how the stance is now.

It really absorbs the bumps way better than my previous oem 17inch wheels.

Slight hum, but honestly I don’t really notice it half the time.

Toyo’s are lighter in weight compared to other all-terrains and my new setup is maybe 1-2 lbs heavier then oem.

My acceleration is still great and my mpg’s is still the same. Took out the spare just in case, lolz. :chuckle:

Highways you feel faster and and it drives absolutely straight, the trajectory does not stray one bit and I didn’t even get an alignment yet.

If you want a more sporty feel and more connected to the road, then stay with oem.

It has a mountain/ snowflake rating but our weather is mostly rain and I have no problems there.

I bought these mostly for looks, other than the occasional rocky path, I drive mostly on the street.

Thank goodness that these ride smoothly at 70-75 mph because I know people may get vibrations when using all terrains at high speed. Something defective or just not right. Some truckers are unlucky here. Just make sure you get the right tires and use hubcentric rings.

I don’t know what discount tire did with whatever balancing method, but I’ve been lucky that it drives like a dream. In my case, these Toyo’s are driving perfect.

On a scale of 10, I’ll give it a 9 since I don’t know how long the treads will last. I also don’t give too much priority on balancing either. :wavey:

casperfun

:gapteeth:

I failed to mention that on my 2009 that the Nissan oem 17 inch wheel & tires was approximately 2 mph faster than the speed on my gps.

Since upsizing from my original 27 inch tires to 29 inch tires, my speedometer matches my gps speed.

Of course this pertains to my vehicle only.

Pleasant benefit. :woot:

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

THAT is too damn cool.

As you know, I'm no fan of the Rogue, but I'd drive that! :)

Lfsch2285
Car: 2009 Nissan Rouge SL

what was the name of the company that you got the kit form. i have an 09 rouge i want to lift.

casperfun

Tema 4x4

I found out about them by this guy’s review on YouTube. Loved how his Tucson turned out. So I tried to replicate the look.

https://youtu.be/lsHM4C_2WWw

:dblthumb:

Lfsch2285

Thanks I’ll check them out. Did you have to change shocks, stab links, lengthen brake line or anything like that

casperfun

Nothing needs to be done other than you need to shove your sway bars into your suspension preloaded.

Since you’re lifting the vehicle, obviously the sway bar links holes will be lower, so you need a floor jack to squeeze them into the bolt holes. I had no real problems with them preloaded.

But my OCD kicked in and since ReadyLIFT had sway bar relocation brackets for the 2nd generation Rogues, I also wanted to avoid preloading the sway bars.

So I ordered these adjustable sway bars.

GODSPEED GSP FRONT SWAY BAR ADJUSTABLE END LINK UNIVERSAL 250-310MM W/ 12MM BOLT

I bought these because they were the biggest ones I could find and was planning to just MAKE IT work by modifying or Macguyvering it somehow.

The funny thing is; even though it said 12mm, this thing actually fit PERFECTLY! :bigthumb:

It was snug, like OEM. I was even able to use the original 18mm bolt on it. The bolt that came with the new sway bars, I even stuck them on top of the OEM bolt as back up just for the hell of it, but I needed a 19mm ratchet.

I even sent the seller a pic with a message that I was able to use it on my 18mm set up. I don’t know if they change anything to their listing but I told them their Godspeed sway bars was a godsend! :mike

You can take a chance with them or just find adjustable sway bars on your own. I had a hard time finding 18mm until I had luck with these.

The only other way is that you can make your own brackets.

Or you can take your original sway bars and go to a welder to cut them to your specifications and re-welded to your liking. I read some people do this.

Just check YouTube for modifying sway bars and also how to install adjustable sway bar links if you’re able to find those too.

In the end, I was able to get my sway bars installed in neutral with no preload.

It’s up to you if you want your sway bars preloaded. For example, racers like their sway bars preloaded for cornering. Do what makes you comfortable.

If you're really OCD, this is not necessary but if you can find shocks that is 1-2 inches longer would be nice. I haven’t any luck finding any that fit so far. I tried researching other Nissan shocks, Monroe, etc, but it was giving me a headache.

But the stock shocks work great for me. I don’t really try to over extend them or drive hard on my shocks anyway.

Hence, for a 2 inch lift, stock shocks should be fine unless you drive aggressively off-road and over extending your shocks over big rocks and bumps.

By the way, Tema 4x4 spacers are less than 2 inches. The biggest one I have are spacers over my rear springs which are 45mm or 1.75 inches.

With my all terrain tires it becomes a 2 inch lift overall. :domo:
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

Lfsch2285

Ok thank you for all the info. Very helpful. One last question what size tires are you running?

casperfun

235/70/16

I was really considering 225/75/16 which would probably work but it would be hair thin close to the strut tower.

That’s if you want the tallest tire.

But most likely the rotational mass would slow you down and be too hard on our crappy cvt.

But my set up has a perfect balance of acceleration and looks.

Drives smooth as hell on the highway, you feel safe, connected and solid.

Good luck, it’ll be a fun project and and great satisfaction when you’re done. Since not as much to do during the pandemic.

But driving, the outdoors, and having a great getaway or solo adventures will always be there. :woot:

Lfsch2285

Thanks for all the input. Now for the $$$ part.

casperfun

My dumb butt bought the front spacers and rear spacers separately just to make sure I got the biggest rear spacers for the back which was 45mm.

The front were 40mm.

Only after clicking purchase I saw they sold a set with 40mm front and 45mm rear. :facepalm:

Don't know if they still do that. Think I paid 30-40 dollars more but didn't care.

Still hundreds cheaper than readylift that don't make them for the first generation.

Tema 4x4 ships pretty fast too. :cool:

TheRotorNurse
Car: 2010 Nissan Rogue 360º (registration says KROM)

I am wanting to go the other direction, I would like to lower it about 2 inches.

casperfun

TheRotorNurse wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 am
I am wanting to go the other direction, I would like to lower it about 2 inches.
Indeed, another method to make your Rogue look aggressive!

1st-slammed-rogue-t577482.html

:mike :bigthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”