LS1 240sx Technical Questions

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
Rb26d Sileighty
Car: Anything Nissan

I had a thread about an Rb powered 240sx but Nightkids2 suggested an LS1, LS2, LS6, and LS7 swap. And I did some research on weight ballance and all that and it says that the LS1 weights LESS than the ka24de, And it also has twice the power.

Someone with an LS1 240sx tell me what i would need to do inorder to fit it into the engine bay? like custom parts and all that good stuff.

Thanks.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Theres a lot of info floating about this on here, just search it can give you a rough idea. If you cant find it then ask, but its very broad. But modified / custom engine crossmember with LS mounts, depends on tranny sometimes you can fab a stock crossmember other you need to have a new one, custom driveshaft, Custom high pressure line, and custom header at a minimum

Rb26d Sileighty

yeah i figured u would need custom headers. but i dont really understand what u mean by the crossmember. you lost me there lol.

Zee
Car: 99 Chevy Cavalier

The crossmember in a car is the beam that goes on the bottom of your engine. Ok if you are looking at your car without the engine the bar that goes across the bottom is you crossmember.

Rb26d Sileighty

thanks zee. i found an LS2 for 5800 brand new. and i would rather pay 2000 more for a brand new motor compared to one that like u said sits in a japan junkyard.

Picolini
Car: 89 240SX FB DEAD, 92 Beretta GT DEAD, 91 Camaro RS DEAD... carless!

Don't you usually need to get custom exhaust piping done as well? I would imagine you do.

The ls1tech.com hybrid forums could probably help you with this stuff too.

XofXtimeX
Car: 95' 240

You'll need a stronger master cylinder.. Everybody I know is using the wilwood and making it work on our car. Obviously yes you'll need custom header back exhaust.

With the cross member you have to cut a section out and reweld it for support to allow the GTO oil pan to fit. You need the GTO oil pan for the front sump where as the f-body is a rear sump.

But to get a great idea just search for 240sx on the hybrid conversion section on LS1tech. Many of our members post more on that section for this swap as there is more people to help us out.

OutToWinPAHC
Car: 2015 Silverado, R33 GTST, R32 GTR, RB20 E46 RHD, 2015 Harley Vrod Muscle, 1990 Nissan Patrol

Hmmmm 5800 sounds like the Crateenginedepot.com price which doesn't include the harness or ECU. For the same power you can get the LS6 crate engine for 2800 and pick up an ECU and harness for about 700. But none the less its not a really easy swap. A lot of work need to be done after you get it in there. Plan on spending some money.

Rb26d Sileighty

yeah it was that site...createnginedeopt.com. i didnt know it didnt come with no ECU or wireing harness.

outtowinpahc how much do u think i would need in TOTAL with out the car. like motor, ecu , wiring harness, and custom parts and install?

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

8k is a good ballpark estimate. Of course what ever parts you whip up yourself will save you some of the more expensive things. Hinson Supercars sells everything needed for the swap. Copy their parts list and you will know what you need...

http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/partsMainS13.htm

Rb26d Sileighty

damn i never thought of how much this LS1 would cost. wow. when i do this swap im gonna take it to a shop and tell em to put it in make the headers and the exhaust and whatever else needs to be done.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I WOULD NEED TO DO (LIKE PARTS AND MODS) TO GET THE MOTOR IN THE CAR, RUNNING, AND GOOD?!

redtop91
Car: ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Start

You'll need a motor mounts, driveshafts, custom crossmember, modified oil pan?, transmission etc. If you aren't doing at least some parts of the swap yourself and you are looking to get it done under 10k, stop. It won't happen.

Rb26d Sileighty

oh i know. i didnt mean it like that tho. id just tell em what to do. and do whatever.

OutToWinPAHC

Well hinson super cars sells a conversion kit and they will do the swap for you. I dont like the MT crossmember they use. I had a shop in Tampa do my swap and other work (Ellis AutoWorkz). You can probably get the swap done for about 5000-7000 plus motor and trans. Mine cost me alot more because of the addl work I had done. I paid 8100 in labor, about 2000 in parts I supplied plus motor ands trans. But this includes subframe mods, LSD, custom trunk pan and fuel cell, all gauge wiring. Mine ran me about 13000-14000 total. I didn't have the time to do it myself. I also used a TH350 trans which required a special converter that ran a pretty penny. but they did a turn ket install for me with alot of extras.

Get a low mile LS1/6/2 dont use ebay post on LS1.com, LS2.com or LS1tech.com. I got my LS6 from a local seller. Got to see the car and the ODO.

Ellis Autoworkz.comHere is my test run video. The first run (not on LSD), testing it out for issueshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAD4JaoFXs

Rb26d Sileighty

wow outtowin that thing is nice. have u ran it at the 1/4 yet? i want to see some times before i decide on what i want to do.

OutToWinPAHC

Nah right now im in the middle of packing to move back home to PA. I'm workig on the body now. I have a lot of work a head of me. I have to strip and undercoat the car. I'm also going to pull the suspension and send then out for powder coating. Looking for glossy black under the body with silver and red powder everything. I also have to repair the floor pan (little rust hole. But I have a small patch of Chassis rot, so when I drop it off at my buddies shop for paint, im gonna have that repaired. Now that the new rear is in and I have the Cusco 1.5 way in I cant wait to run it, but I have some stuff to do first. But the hard part is over and its smooth sailing from here. Just gotta get settled back home and save up some more.

Rb26d Sileighty

awesome dude well good luck with all that.

Joe

if you arent doing the work expect 10,000$ MINIMUM for the ls1 swap. and thats a bone stock, 300hp LS1.

it is NOT a cheap or easy swap.

Rb26d Sileighty

Kamin wrote:if you arent doing the work expect 10,000$ MINIMUM for the ls1 swap. and thats a bone stock, 300hp LS1.

Kamin wrote:if you arent doing the work expect 10,000$ MINIMUM for the ls1 swap. and thats a bone stock, 300hp LS1.

350hp not 300 and im very aware of this not being an easy swap

Joe

the 01/02 LS1 was 350 because they all came with the LS6 intake manifold and a few other small differences.

from 98-00, the LS1's were rated at 305hp.

the 01-02 LS1 motorset's cost about 500-1000$ more than the early LS1's too.

Rb26d Sileighty

yeah i wouldnt get the 98-00 id get the 01-02 ls1 get more hp for my money

Joe

with a ls6 intake manifold ($250-$350) and programming it makes 350hp.

its pointless to split hairs over a stock LSx engine. they all make about the same amount of power with the same amount of money. mine is going to be right around 400whp if thunder racing ever builds my camshaft.

Rb26d Sileighty

awesome

95lstegman
Car: 1989 570SX, 2005 Acura RSX, 1994 Toyota Corolla

the LS1 isn't as light at hinson would like you to believe. maybe i'm just cynical b/c i went from SR to LS, and the SR is way lighter than KA, LS, or RB. the LS series sit too far forward, like the RB, but a bit less, and the only good ways to fit them require seriously messing up the front suspension geometry. so if you ever want your car to handle reasonably well again, figure some custom suspension tricks into your budget, too. i did my swap for ~$8.5k BTW, but i have no p/s or a/c. unnecessary items on a w/e warrior car in my book.

oh, and minimum for any LS1 is about 310whp bone stock but with with custom headers, intake, and even a reasonably quiet exhaust, all of which you'll have to fab. '97-'00 LS1's have a bigger cam, '01+ have better intake mani. it's a trade-off. but the '01+ have better clutch set, oil pump, rod bolts as well, so don't bother unless you're going with the '01. if you're already spending this much money, the extra $500 is nothing. but yes, it's VERY worth it. and DON'T DRIVE IN THE RAIN. AT ALL. EVER. even with an LSD. and don't do this swap if you don't plan on getting one before you ever drive it. you'll be spinning one wheel in most of your forward gears without trying.

but yes, if you're looking for a shop do it for you, expect to pay somewhere around $15,000 all in all. not worth it in my book. for $15k plus the cost of whatever 240 you've got you could have had an early C5 corvette, which while not quite as quick as a 570SX will handle MUCH better, and with better aerodynamics and other lesser-appreciated bonuses.

but yes, it's worth it if you do some work yourself and save some dough. the dyno operator was having fun trying to see how low he could test my car. he got down to about 1300rpm, and it was still making just shy 300wtq all the way down there! stock fuel/ignition program, just a few ECU mods to make it run w/o a check engine light. there aren't really any street tires i've met in my 9" wide size that i can't obliterate through first and most if not all of second, and that's a stock swap.

Joe

can you explain how the geometry is screwed up when all you are doing is notching the crossmember? all the suspension/steering mounting points are in the exact same locations.

and i dont know about you but my engine sits pretty god damn far back.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

95lstegman wrote: the LS series sit too far forward, like the RB, but a bit less, and the only good ways to fit them require seriously messing up the front suspension geometry. so if you ever want your car to handle reasonably well again, figure some custom suspension tricks into your budget, too.
False.
95lstegman wrote: if you're already spending this much money, the extra $500 is nothing. but yes, it's VERY worth it.
Unless you get your entire 98 motorset for $2300 like I did.

Zee

Cnichols and PAHC, I have a question for you guys. Are you guys running your car with an intake or are you running naked? If you are running an intake where did you get it from? Last do you think I could get one of the K&N Filters and slap one on the end and that should work, maybe with a little modification? Thanks Guys.

-Zee

Joe

most guys are running a 90 degree elbow, short tube then a large cone filter on the end. you want the filter away from directly behind the radiator so it doesnt suck in super hot air.

OutToWinPAHC

umm hmmmm

Zee

PAHC- Could you email me more pics of your car? My email address is in my profile thanks.

Return to “Hybrids”