Looking to buy my 1st I-pod - which models can work? (Also CF question)

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Kenike
Car: EX AWD

So I have been thinking of getting the I Pod Touch 2nd Gen.

Yes I am one of the few people that still buy all my music on cds. Do not laugh at me, I was around when vinyl and 8 tracks were the norm.

I am worried that the new I Pods on the market may not work in our cars.

who has newer I pods. Which models.

How about the classic? Though I love the look of the I Touch.

Also will a 4gb CF card work. I am having a hard time finding a 2gb card in stores. I can order online but not in my local stores.

I guess nowadays bigger for less money is what everyone wants. LOL.

morning_glory
Car: EX35

I have an Ipod touch (16 gig, 1st gener.) and it works fine. For the CF you may use any size but there's some kind of limitations regarding the folders and files quantities. See that link: zerothread/318242

MG

Kenike

Thanks I am going to keep that post about how to set up the CF card.

I have been reading that the 2nd Gen I Touch is different than the 1st gen I touch. People on Amazon were pretty ticked that their accessories and docking stations did not fit with the new I touch. Also scared that it may blow the cig lighter.

Good to know that the 1st gen works fine.

Also on Amazon 1st gen is more expensive than 2nd gen, go figure.

How about the classic I Pod , saw it at Costco at decent price?

Thanks for the response.

bucca1

I am looking into this as well and I am leaning toward the Nano . I plan on using it only for the music feature and the last addition (3rd Gen I think) is a bit cheaper than the new one. I can't justify spending 300.00 - 400.00 on a IPOD Touch till I am sure I can't live without it. I too have so many CDS and the Sansa MP3 player I have now is not as easy to use in this car.So, that's what I am thinkin' !

Mark Booth

For the CURRENT models of iPod, it breaks down as follows:

iPhone 3G - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Touch (version 2) - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Nano (new narrow/tall version) - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Classic - WILL charge via the EX35 iPod connector

ALL older models of iPhone and iPod WILL charge via the EX35 iPod connector.

Apple, in their infinite wisdom (infinite stupidity in my opinion) removed the Firewire 12v charging capability from the new iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2, and new iPod Nano. That is why they won't charge via the EX35's iPod connector (it uses 12v for charging).

Bottom line... if you are going to buy a brand new (not leftover) iPod for use in your EX35 and you want it to charge, your only choice is the iPod Classic.

Mark

Kenike

Thank you Mark,

That is what I needed to know.

I still see brand new Ist Gen Touch on Amazon and I think that is the model that Cost Co is selling.

It also makes sense why the 1st Gen is selling for more money than the 2nd Gen on Amazon.

And yes, many complaints were that the accessories that people had no longer worked with their new models and they returned their new models.

inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

d ipod shuffles work with this adapter? I'm thinking about getting an old shuffle and just leaving it in the car. I can dump a bunch of my kid's songs on it and be done. I use the CF which gives me all the same options as the iPod.

KJ911TT
Car: 2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2008 Infiniti EX35

Mark Booth wrote:For the CURRENT models of iPod, it breaks down as follows:

iPhone 3G - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Touch (version 2) - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Nano (new narrow/tall version) - Will NOT charge via the EX35 iPod connectoriPod Classic - WILL charge via the EX35 iPod connector

ALL older models of iPhone and iPod WILL charge via the EX35 iPod connector.

Apple, in their infinite wisdom (infinite stupidity in my opinion) removed the Firewire 12v charging capability from the new iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 2, and new iPod Nano. That is why they won't charge via the EX35's iPod connector (it uses 12v for charging).

Bottom line... if you are going to buy a brand new (not leftover) iPod for use in your EX35 and you want it to charge, your only choice is the iPod Classic.

Mark
Mark was absolutely right about which devices work in the EX35.

As for myself, I have the iPhone 3G and wouldn't want to buy an older device just to have the ability to charge the device via the EX's 12v output.

That being said, there is a product that addresses this problem by converting the 12v power from your car to the 5.5v USB power that the newer iPod/iPhones need.

http://cablejive.com/iphone_3g....html

- KJ

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Thanks for the great info, KJ, and welcome to our group!

So, do you have an EX or are you just slumming it?!

Cheers,David

Timmbo
Car: 2013 Infiniti JX35 AWD & 2013 Nissan Maxima Sport Pkg

As far as the CF card goes, get the 2GB, if you get anything larger, files sometimes get "lost" on the card. If you have to, it would be worth ordering from trusted retailer online. The Sandisk Ultra II works awesome, I purchased mine at Circuit City.

KJ911TT
Car: 2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2008 Infiniti EX35

dividedhighw wrote:Thanks for the great info, KJ, and welcome to our group!

So, do you have an EX or are you just slumming it?!

Cheers,David
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I ordered my EX this past Saturday and should take delivery this Wed. or Thurs.!

- KJ

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”