Z32 Brake upgrade (advice and build pics)

Forum for Nissan wheel fitment, tire selection, suspension setup and brake discussions.
motoman399
Car: 98' wrecked (RHD coming soon) 240

all 4 at once. i have a spare of that bolt you need, but i think you could get it cheaper at a junk yard. or locally. thats a really tight bolt to round the head. are you using quality tools?

Eikon
Car: 71 240z, 93 Supra TT

90% of my tools are craftsman. I was using my foot to push on the breaker bar and it went sideways on me and rounded the bolt. I fail. Oh well.. not the first time and won't be the last.

Eikon

Front left is almost done.. The TC rod was a breeze.. that front bolt on this side came right out.. no problem. But, I fail again.. I rounded the little 10mm bolt at the end of the brake hardline. So I'm going to need to replace that bolt and very carefully cut off the old one. I'm like a bull in a china shop.. cripes!

Eikon

lbreevesii wrote:late to the party, but :

I'm running 300zx 30mm's up front with stock rears(new rotors and pbr ultimate pads on the rear). I"m using a 15/16 bmc.

Junkyards are your friend. My bmc cost me ~10 bucks and looks like it had been replaced fairly recently before the car got sent to the parking lot in the sky.

I still have to get my used rotors turned before I put on my hawk hps pads, but even with stock z32 pads its awesome.

The one small condolence from having an automatic transmission car is that it comes with the 15/16th bmc stock. So I didn't have to mess with it.

A couple pictures as it sits currently..
Front pass. Stuck on TC rod front bolt that I rouned off. boo!

Front driver. Stuck on banjo bolt connecting brake hard line to soft line... which I rounded off.. boo!

Eikon

After a very very very busy summer, I finally found some time to get my brake upgrade done (well mostly).

I had some problems along the way.. like the bolt at the end of the brake hard-line rounding off, the front TC rod bolt I rounded off, and I had to replace a ball joint. But, the biggest problem I had was that I have just been swamped with school and life for the past few months.

The only think I have left is ebrake cables. The car is an automatic, so I can go without ebrakes functioning for a while. I am going to have to replace the front ebrake cable because the connector is in pretty crappy shape.. then I have to get either an adaptor or R33 cables to get them hooked up for good.

Carl H
Car: 1995 240SX SE RB30DET

r33 cables are so much easier than mucking about with z32 2+2 cables, you're better off selling those cables to an s13 guy.
trust me, been there done that...
looks good otherwise and should be worth it when done, every time i drive a schassis with stock front brakes i feel like im gonna die when trying to stop fast; pulling a car down from 100 to 55 is no easy feat with stockers.

motoman399

those breaks look sexy back there. they still look a little small in the wheels though but a huge improvement from the stockers. good lookin man.

carl, i know what you mean about trying to stop fast with stock brakes. then after coming down a mountain road your brakes get warped. lol junk for brakes.

Eikon

no kidding.. they do look small behind those wheels... They are 18"s, but gram lights have pretty small spokes so they show a lot of brakes.
If I ever need to replace the front rotors, I think I'll go with the slightly larger 350z rotors and the relocation bracket for the Z32 calipers.

motoman399

ya thats a good idea. i just opped for brembo's from an sti lol

you were saying that you need a new front ebrake cable? i think i have one laying around i could get you pretty cheap.

Eikon

yes, I do need one. how much shipped?

motoman399

hows 20 shipped? let me check to see if i have it first. im 90% sure i do. ill get back to you. if thats too much let me know. ill work with you.

Eikon

I can get a brand new one from Rockauto for like $33 shipped.

motoman399

ok name your price then lol. i dont really care what it is. i would never sell it to anyone else most likely lol.

ps rock auto has amazing low prices. might be worth the 33 bucks.

Return to “Nissan Tires, Wheels, Brakes and Suspension”