KADE short idle, loud knock when it stops

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
blacice
Car: 1993 240SX

Hope I'm posting in the right area, I have a problem with my 95 DE motor which is in my 93 hatckback. Back in july 2012 I had a black smoking issue when I accelerated so I replaced the valve seals and head gasket. I tried to start it in September since I had training and no time to mess with it. it cranked but not start and since I was leaving, Nov-Sep 2013, I stored it and never touched it again until October 2013. After doing some research I realized the timing was way off and redid everything, timing wise. It cranked, started and idled for a mere 10sec. When it shut off there was a loud knock on the intake side of the motor. I left it alone as the cold was coming and I started it today and it does the same thing, shut off with a loud knock on the intake side. If I keep my foot on the gas it stays running so I fed it gas for like a min and it ran, horribly but when it shut off this time no knock. Do I need to rip this whole thing apart or am I missing something very minor.
Did I throw a rod, is it a valve or is my timing still jacked up.
if you guys can think of anything please post here, pm, email me, [email protected] or text me at twofive349fivenine9three six

I would love to get it back on the road for the warmer months, I don't drive it in winter since I have no heat.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

We're happy to help. Provide a link to this thread:
the-i-m-new-here-and-i-have-a-simple-qu ... -1680.html
with a link to here and Papasmurf will help you out.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Yeah I'd say check your valve and ignition timing again. Step 1 is valve timing.
With your valve cover off and the #1 piston at top dead center on the compression stroke, your cam lobes should be facing about 9:30 and 2:30 o'clock (intake and exhaust, respectively) when looking at them from the front. Spin the engine over once by hand (should be a 24 or 27mm socket on the crank pulley bolt) to make sure it takes up all the slack in the chain and you're still in the right spot.

After that, you should be able to pop off your distributor cover, and the rotor should be pointed to where the wire for the #1 cylinder will be. If not, twist the distributor to where the rotor is correct. If you can't rotate it far enough, or if it is at the extreme end of it's stroke, your distributor is off a tooth. After that, just have the dizzy somewhat loose so a buddy can adjust it a little bit as you crank/run the car to get it so it will run until it warms up, then time it with a timing light.

Hope that helps! Let us know how you make out.

blacice
Car: 1993 240SX

Thanks much I'll hit it up tomorrow baby sitting tonight

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

Good luck!

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”