just installed popcharger!!!

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
nismodan69
Car: 2007 g35 coupe 5AT sport

all i can say is.. woww lol that is the most amazing sound i have ever heard. i am amazed by it. im still in shock i only installed it about 5 minutes ago and have only driven it around the block. hopefully ill get some kind of hp gains but i dont care because it sounds sick. just one small question. is the intake supposed to whistle when i accelerate? it makes like a small whistling noise when i first accelerate and then when the car shifts.

grantman240z
Car: '03 G35 Coupe 6MT

nismodan69 wrote:all i can say is.. woww lol that is the most amazing sound i have ever heard. i am amazed by it. im still in shock i only installed it about 5 minutes ago and have only driven it around the block. hopefully ill get some kind of hp gains but i dont care because it sounds sick. just one small question. is the intake supposed to whistle when i accelerate? it makes like a small whistling noise when i first accelerate and then when the car shifts.
Normal for the Popcharger/Stillen intakes...it's like a little supercharger in there!

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Congrats!! Did you pull your hair out putting the rubber on the heatshield?? LOL

Yes... the whistle is normal.

Soooo....what's next on the "to do" list?

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

No, it shouldn't whistle. Look for a small leak at one of the clamps. My Maxima did it when I put an intake on. My G35 doesn't.

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Ok... everyone who has a popcharger chime in if yours whistles.

Mine whistled on the 05 and now on my 07... I was also told this was normal.

Are you sure Bean

Beancooker
Car: Current Car: 2019 Toyota Tacoma (modded)
Past cars: Way too many to list

Yeah, I thought it would, since the Maxima did so loudly. But the G, no whistle at all.

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

If I have the windows down, I can hear the whistle between 2-4k RPM, after that the MREV2 kicks in and turns into a roar!

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Same here

Its only through a specific RPM range for me. Not when WOT.

I have no leakes, checked and double checked. I dont hear the whistle unless my windows are down.

grantman240z
Car: '03 G35 Coupe 6MT

G_whizz wrote:

Ok... everyone who has a popcharger chime in if yours whistles.

Mine whistled on the 05 and now on my 07... I was also told this was normal.

Are you sure Bean
Yup, mine whistles...but only around 2.5k-3.5k RPM and never under WOT. Well, I probably just can't hear it under WOT with the beautiful roar of the Z-tube and Stillen!

smockers83
Car: 2006 G35 Coupe

Mine whistles in a certain RPM range as well under acceleration. I thought it was a leak as well, but everyone told me no. It's a very sweet sound, I like it. Congrats. You will see some gains, 6 HP. If you can control yourself you may even get better MPG, but that is very highly unlikely. This thread makes me all jittery because I finally get my G out of hibernation on Saturday. God I can't wait. I'm starting to feel like I'm Jacko, but only just a very little.

joe603

I've had people ask me what kind of turbo I had...I didn't have the heart to tell them that a turbo makes the sound when you let off the gas, not just as you hit the gas! lol

tollboothwilley

joe603 wrote:I've had people ask me what kind of turbo I had...I didn't have the heart to tell them that a turbo makes the sound when you let off the gas, not just as you hit the gas! lol
I'm sure you had no problem letting them think you had a turbo too, right?

nismodan69
Car: 2007 g35 coupe 5AT sport

the rubber shield was the hardest thing of the install i was like wtf? but yeah im going to go tighten all the clamps and everything to see if its what is making the whistle. well its not under wot only at around 3-4k rpm and when i lightly accelerate for a brief second in fourth and fifth. but if the whistle doesnt go i will not love it ANY less :] this was an incredible upgrade (sound wise) i have yet to really see if has made a difference in performance. it doesnt seem like much but i love the sound. next up: ordering mrev2 and 5/16" spacer tomorrow and then... when i can rob a bank or something, the stillen exhaust lol

joe603

of course...didn't want to crush their excitement. lol

Sentientbydesign
Car: 03 Evo VIII - 330 AWHP
05 Subaru Legacy GT Stg 2 - Sold
05 G35 6MT Coupe - 278 WHP - Sold
04 WW Evo VIII - 302 AWHP - Ex's
96 I30 - Sold

Different filter elements will give different harmonic noises.

I had 3 different filters on my I30. My favorite was Cotton/Mesh with a metal screen on the end. It whistled like I was pushing serious boost.

The K&N knock off didn't do it as bad and the Dry-flo was almost silent (the filter itself, not the intake).

fatire_mtb
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 5AT

No whsitle on mine. Just the beautiful roar followed by a big POP!!!

Jacko3

nismodan69:

Flog the car steadily so that it can get used to the new intake system. I mean this, if you are looking for performance. The G-35's computers actually shifts from several ECU modes/configurations to another depending on how you drive. So, you want the car to be at the best performance ECU mode setting, and the only way to get there is to flog the car enough, so that the computer can learn your new driving habits with the new mods. Be careful on the streets when you flog the car. Be safe and be cautious! Use your discretion wisely!

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

I have the fujita filter element currently installed, it whistles around 2.5 - 4k... I like it.

I have the foam setup as mentioned above on way from CA right now...

I'll let you know what difference the whistling is between the two. The F5 Comp setup isn't enclosed like the Popcharger, but that would likely account for the extended "whistle" range.

NetNinja

Whistle FTW!

Yeah mine whistles, I heard it the other day at my work, we have class A office space so we have covered parking.I was like cool!

Funny thing when I replaced my Ford SHO's filter with a K&N and I was sitting at a stand still my car sounded like Air Wolf! LOL

BrandAidDesignG35
Car: G35

OK, so I popped in the new foam filter... I didn't like it... It was kinda pink so I gave it to my girl...

I did try it briefly, but I prefer the sound of the fujita, it's funny, this talk about turbo sounds from CAI...

When you redline, and it drops down, say around 4k, It lets out a really loud PSHHHHSS, Very, very similar to turbo!!!

I know what your thinking dumb@ss... well I will post a video to clarify... for all you unbelievers...

Cpcruz
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe 6mt

ahhhh i can't wait till i get my popcharger in about 2 weeksall this talk about it just makes it seem so much further away

since i joined nico about 2 days ago or so i have spent every minute wishing i had joined when i first got my G almost a year ago so that my sig would actually have car parts in it not some clever quote

ohz well congrats and watch for my post in the next couple of weeks asking for installation instructions haha

Cali 2 Balti G
Car: Desert Platinum G35 Coupe
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

nismodan69 wrote:all i can say is.. woww lol that is the most amazing sound i have ever heard. i am amazed by it. im still in shock i only installed it about 5 minutes ago and have only driven it around the block. hopefully ill get some kind of hp gains but i dont care because it sounds sick. just one small question. is the intake supposed to whistle when i accelerate? it makes like a small whistling noise when i first accelerate and then when the car shifts.
Did you remove the resonator - I had assumed this was the somewhat square looking box on the stock intake "tube". After looking at the service manual i see the actual resonator is the bottle like thing that is screwed to the body BELOW the original filter housing that you pull up and remove.

The instructions didn't mention anything about unscrewing and removing the resonator (again this sits about bumper level on the car).

Cali 2 Balti G
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

Bump - can anybody answer the question? Thanks

smockers83

Only a few people have removed that piece, and by a few I mean like 1-3 on this forum. I'm not sure that it really does anything. There was a thread about it awhile back.

zerothread?id=302828

tollboothwilley

some claimed it helped...

try it and leave feedback on what you think

Cali 2 Balti G
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

Thanks for the link - now I know I'm not going crazy - I'm going to go back in and see if I can easily remove the resonator because I cant see where it serves any purpose with the new popcharger/z-tube. The pop charger heatshield is totally independent of the resonator - and does not connect.

smockers83

Yeah, when I installed mine, I saw that tube and I was like what in the world is that for. The only thing I could think of was a way for loose dirt to fall out...not sure how that would reduce intake noise, but then again I'm not an engineer. The only resonator I knew of was the one connected to the intake tube.

Cali 2 Balti G
Dodge Ram Quad Cab
Toyota Sequoia

I looked at the FSM - and the top "resonator" you are refering to - is just called the intake tube. The only thing identified as the resonator (according to the FSM) is the bottom piece I'm asking about.

I'm not saying this to dispute anything you said - I just wonder why the instructions wouldn't be clearer on this point.

My butt dyno feels SOME extra pull - but then again - I've been testing under WOT - which is not normally how I drive. The sound is awsome - it almost sounds like you have a new exhaust. My only "problem" besides the resonator issue - is one of the trim pieces actually slightly covers the filter.

It probably took me as long to fit all the trim pieces as the remainder of the install - but it still wasn't too hard, the hardest piece to install is the one that goes in the hole - you just have to make sure the piece is fully seated before you work the trim around the hole

smockers83

I know what it is now haha, I just didn't know what it was when I installed my JWT. So you "feel" a little extra and its louder eh? I guess I'll have to check it out.

Minmey15
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35S 6MT

Jacko3 wrote:nismodan69:

Flog the car steadily so that it can get used to the new intake system. I mean this, if you are looking for performance. The G-35's computers actually shifts from several ECU modes/configurations to another depending on how you drive. So, you want the car to be at the best performance ECU mode setting, and the only way to get there is to flog the car enough, so that the computer can learn your new driving habits with the new mods. Be careful on the streets when you flog the car. Be safe and be cautious! Use your discretion wisely!
I've never heard this ECU learning mode. It learns depends on how it"s driven? Do you have any information about this? I would love to learn.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”