j30 FI questions

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

yeah VFD is what i meant by "gas display", i forgot the exact term for it.

it might be the way to go, especially if you had an on-board computer.

have you seen this site:

http://ashleypowers.com

he has always answered my electronics queries, and he has a pretty nice carputer and software that would be plug and play for the J!

Eswift

EBC would be really cool, but i would think getting fuzzy logic into a homemade controller might prove to be a big project.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

well, the ebc is something im still working on, getting a map sensor to feed manifold pressure info the the controller, and getting the controller to vary wastegate signal through either adjusting a ball and spring valve with a stepping motor [not as good as it could be] or varying the duty cycle of a valve solenoid. [the way ebc's do it now, so it wouldnt be unique] its something that needs alot more thought, and is definately not something id be able to do soon.

the vfd's might wear out there novelty quickly such as in a HUD, so the jury's still out on that one. i would want to cut into the dash or mount something to it thats gonna annoy me after the first week of use. the info center mounted to the visor displaying temps and boost is what really interests me and would be the most functional. i want it unique without cluttering the cabin with crap.

IvoryJ30t

wow, that site has alot of great stuff. id love to implement a full computer and touchscreen in the car. i was thinking about using a computer to control devices in the car. the upside is being able to use more complex displays for car parameters such as rs232 controlled VFD and lcd screens, but its something i also wanted to avoid because if the comp. was not booted up, the displays wouldnt work.

hell, maybe a simple controller for the temp and boost displays, and the pc to control the complex units and VFD display if i go with the HUD.the pc could control the boost.but on the downside, if i want to bump the boost, i gotta turn the pc on...

ah, options options... i can give myself a headache trying to figure it all out at once.

IvoryJ30t

after going through that web site, all his stuff is totally awesome.when i pull the j's radio, that in dash tft display is looking better and better by the second...

IvoryJ30t

one thing thats holding me back though, is that im just beginning to learn how to program in c++. logic circuits, wiring, networking ect i know, but i dont know how to program [write code for] micrcontrollers. thats something i need to work on

VimyJ

My car is shiny.

Wow, you guys are out there! Impressive project ideas.

Eswift

yeah that center region would be great for a touch TFT LCD...

as far as worrying about booted up comp, my idea was just to use a laptop and have it set to wake up/hibernate in coordination with the ignition, that way it never uses too much right off the battery...and it would be available pretty quickly upon starting (30 seconds maybe)

just like the jaguars with the boot-up screens etc... just would have to change that file to an infiniti logo.

Eswift

VimyJ wrote:My car is shiny.

Wow, you guys are out there! Impressive project ideas.

ah, ideas..i just hope I have time/money to implement some of this stuff...

its been a slow start, but now that i have access to a machine shop, I will be progressing slowly.

Eswift

IvoryJ30t wrote:one thing thats holding me back though, is that im just beginning to learn how to program in c++. logic circuits, wiring, networking ect i know, but i dont know how to program [write code for] micrcontrollers. thats something i need to work on

I have several friends who are CS majors, they deal with C++ constantly, maybe I can source them out for a few projects.

IvoryJ30t

Eswift wrote:I have several friends who are CS majors, they deal with C++ constantly, maybe I can source them out for a few projects.

that would be awesome, i gotta come up with some solid ideas, maybe they could write the code for the microcontrollers. if thats a possibility, then i can make up PC boards for anything.

hell, imagine a wireless network connection from the computer in your trunk to your house. id love broadband internet while sitting in my car.

damn, i wish i could get back to school and learn everything. im working on my CCNA now at night, but that stuff's not hard [networking] trying to learn c++ on my own, but not really sticking to it

Eswift

i will ask him tomorrow if that is something he can handle. C++ isnt his forte, but he is a programming fiend.

Ill see what he has to say about microconroller programming.

my question is how we got the program onto the chip?

like a flash or rom burner?

I used to remember a bit of C, but not even ++, for some reason the MechE's prefer fortran-derived programming....weird.

IvoryJ30t

i was looking over some microcontroller programming info, and theyre usually done in c. also, ive been looking around and i cant find anyone that sells lcd displays small enough to be able to fit in the dashboard. i was thinking about a cdrw/dvd drive in the dash behind the display, with a standard din radio below that. new amps for the speakers so the cpu's sound card can feed audio to them.

or, maybe it would be easier to feed the audio from the comp to the headunit of the stereo, then to the amps and speakers.

IvoryJ30t

hey, how much power can the r200v rear handle anyway?

Eswift

you can get LCDs that will fit, the trouble is getting ones that are compatible to differeing inputs (computer, DVD, etc)

It is my understanding that the diff holds up pretty well, does fine in massive NOS injection on NA 300zx's.

If you are really serious, you could upgrade the innards of your diff to either the tomei or cusco clutch type LSDs:

http://www.splparts.com/Z32/Dr...l.asp

IvoryJ30t

the display- the smaller ones dont have the proper svga inputs, which complicates things

diff- thats another point i need to think about. im trying to get it all settled on the setup i want to go with because i want to do most of the upgrades while the motors out of the car like the turbos? injectors? downpipes ect ect... and trying to get it balanced between the motor mods and the other crap like the computer/entertainment blah blah so i can get a game plan worked out for this. i wouldnt want to blow half my budget on the entertainment crap just to have to pull the tranny or whatnot because i didnt go with the power mods i should have in the first place. i dont want to even imagine trying to pull the turbos when the motors in the car...

IvoryJ30t

damn, time to narrow the $30,000 wish list down...:(

Eswift

you wouldnt really be able to do it (turbos while engine is in car).

it has been done, but they said it wasnt worth the trouble.

yeah, all this stuff will cost...shame, too.

IvoryJ30t

like HK$ charging 5g's for a set of ball bearing gt2530... come on.

i got a company that makes turbo's for dsm applications that deals exclusively with garrett turbos that will get the the same spec as the hks units for $2800

its funny how most of the performance sites just take someone elses product and jack the price up...

IvoryJ30t

btw, thats including oil lines and a 4 bolt dp flange...

Eswift

well, that HKS can be found for about 3.5, but i agree, its still a ripoff.

i might ask for more info on this company later on...

Eswift

IvoryJ30t

NEWSFLASH- i just got off the phone with them, they have the garrett full ball bearing units that come stock on the mazda protege turbo rated at 320 hp for !!!800 each!!!

compressor-2 bolt intake 3 bolt output [adapter needed] t2 style flange [exhaust flange] wasnt sure about the bolt pattern of the downpipes but hell, for $1600 for a set of snails, ill take some extra fabricating. oh yeah, internally gated to with actuators...

IvoryJ30t

if you want a custom turbo thats 1200-1400 each [garrett gt]the turbo i mentioned is off the shelf garrett stock [made to mazda specs, for the protege, thats why its so cheap...]

IvoryJ30t

i just realized the vg uses a three bolt compressor output, so most likely the mazda garretts are bolt in with the stock piping

Eswift

thats assuming the stock manifolds will allow turbos to fit correctly around PS rack and column...

IvoryJ30t

unstable hybrids said they'll make up some manifolds if i run into fitment problems. the garretts are the same size as t-25's so they will definately fit, it'll just come down to how the manifold fits...

Eswift

sweet, what kind of cost are you looking at for custom manis?

IvoryJ30t

i didnt really get into it with him, he just told me they have a j30 as a shop car, they are toying with the idea of a rb in it. which is the route i originally wanted to go, but since the vg30 is legal in the US, and has a better torque band, thats my choice.if anything, it should only need a manifold on the drivers side, and even then, i wanna see what the clearance looks like before i shell out cash for them, if the clearance issue isnt bad, ill see if i can take care of it myself. i dont have a turbo manifold, so i can only speculate about it right now. i gotta wait till my uncle builds his new house, and the shop to go with, before i get the clip.

Eswift

shops are nice

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”