j30 FI questions

Discuss topics related to the VG and VE series engines.
IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

ok, i know a million people have asked about this before, without being serious, and with out the means to actually do it, but here we go anyway. i have aquired a j30 solely for the means of making it turbo

what are the years that the z32 came with a 16 bit ecu as oppesed to the 8 bit unit?

i am going to have to completely remove the ecu, tcu, both wiring harnesses due to the differences in the n/a units and their counterparts.

also, one of my observations on the stock turbos is that the compressor output would be pointing directly toward the shock tower and damn close to it too, which is no good. my way around it will be to use 2 stock 2nd gen DSM turbos, garrett T-25 units which use a 90 degree elbow that places the compressor output directly below the compressor input facing foreward instead of towards the front wheels.also, ive been thinking about removing the foglights to place two sidemount ic's in the bumper

that takes care of one problem, i know i am going to have a handful of them, but whats the fun in a project if you dont learn something?...

also from reading every post on the forum about the j30, ive seen that there is insufficent clearance between the motor and the shock tower, so i was wondering if any body know a place where i can get exhaust manifold flanges for the vg30dett motor, so my machine shop can make me new manifolds. any help is appreciated.

also, this is not my daily driver. hell ive only driven it twice. i got it because i think its a nice looking comfortable car with a lot of potential... sheduled completion- may 2004

what i will be aquiring- z32 front clip, level ten'd auto tranny [from tt] torque converter, intercoolers, feul pump, injectors, fpr, jwt ecu, level tens tcu controller, custom exhaust manifolds, custom mandrel bent ic piping... ect ect ect...

im quickly begining to realise that this is gonna be another $15,000 project... at least.

but what the hell, wouldnt everyone like to see a low 12 second Jt?

ok, rant over, and yes, i am crazy.

Eswift
Car: should be obvious enough

no crazier than myself...as i am working on what you propose, along with a 5sp conversion- thats what sets us apart.

you will want a pre-94 300zx ecu. plug and play.

dont think the TCU will need any changing, well not until level 10.

also had the foglight/intercooler idea.

just take your manifolds off, they can make a copy of your flanges, they are the same as the TT. then have them make a flange based on your DSM turbos, also for the downpipe.

IvoryJ30t

awesome, i wasnt going with the 5-speed conversion due to lack of hand parking brake.

but right now im doing my best to collect as much info as i can before i start to collect parts.

as far as the tranny, how much power can a stock tt auto take before i make cutch band soup?

im gonna be shooting for about 400-450 whp on twin t25's

also, i want a 16 bit ecu and im not afraid at all of wiring [unless it makes it unnecassarily [sp?] complicated]

IvoryJ30t

also the 2nd gen dsm turbo is a T25 garrett with the same flange as the stock turbos.

Eswift

TT tranny is somewhat reliable between 350-400, but you will notice shorter life.

you will thus want to level 10 it early on.

I dont recommend the 16 bit ECU, it just makes things harder to deal with, especially if you want to tune the fuel and timing maps yourself.

Of course, if you dont plan on doing extensive tuning (and i guess you dont need to because you are using the whole clip and caboodle) you can just use what comes with it.

IvoryJ30t

tranny wise, that pretty much all i havent decided on, spending roughly $4500 on a level 10 tranny, TC and tcu, or just taking the 20 or so hours of hard work to make it manual. albeit, it would be an easier job when the cars gutted tho anyway. I just cant visualize where the hell the clucth master cylinder is gonna fit, then i gotta swap pedals, and still not have a hand brake.

maybe i should swap the tt's brakes, master cylinder, pedals, cluch master cylinder ect ect...

i dont wanna really go the route of a cable clutch, id rather have a hydro so it ill adjust itself...

Eswift

tt master cylinder definitley wont fit, because it has a booster on it. (no room for booster)

clutch master cyl might end up in driver front wheel well.

IvoryJ30t

hummn, i wonder if i could fit a different clutch m/c in there, but then again, i gotta get the volume right...major PITA.

guess thats why they werent manual...

maybe a t56 and a cable clutch [yuck...]

Eswift

t56?

VimyJ

Great thread, guys.

IvoryJ30t

t56 = camaro 6 speed

IvoryJ30t

VimyJ wrote:Great thread, guys.

thanks. cant wait till the spring...:cool:

Eswift

me too, this damn FSAE racecar is taking all my time...

just trying to get some parts on the way and ready...

havent had the passenger seat and much of the trim in for over a month.

IvoryJ30t

anyway, the new version of kazaa, [2.5.2] messed up my OS. just got finished reinstalling XP. i hate how the new kazaa forces you to install all that erroneous crap. thank god i have a copy of 1.78. its nice to have a good clean system now...

one less thing to worry about

Eswift

note: you never have to reinstall XP on account of extra crap or spyware.

simply run adaware after every new software install.

it cleans out the registry and all spyware, perfectly.

get a free copy at http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

although for some reason right now their sever is down.

just get the free version

IvoryJ30t

it was that, built up crap. i was uninstalling some programs before i installed kazaa 2.5.2, then tried removing it, but couldnt get the gain crap off, so i used system resore. that did more harm then good, as the programs i removed first reappeared on the add/remove programs list, couldnt get em off... long story short, i got pissed and formatted my HD.

Eswift

yeah, thats what adaware is for....for next time...

IvoryJ30t

damn, gotta try that next time...

gotta stop being so quick with the atomic hard drive bombs.

:jet:

Eswift

haha yeah, i know what you mean, without adaware, fomatting becomes almost routine...

IvoryJ30t

well, at least xp is better than microsofts previous offerings.

if only the major software companies would provide products ported to linux. none of the stuff i want is available for unix based systems. aside for sever applications, linux isnt really useful for home applications.

IvoryJ30t

well, anyway, wandered off topic a little there.

eswift, ever take the bumper off your j?im tring to get an idea of how much space there is between the back of the foglights and the bumper support/wheel well.

what im figuring is that the best way to go about it is to remove the factory fogs [got aftermarket fogs anyway] and cut the bumper support/bulkhead to mount the intercoolers, and cover the area cut infront of the front wheels with some heavy wire mesh. i was thinking if there is enough room, maybe a small fan behind them or CO2 spray. maybe some 'glass and resin to smooth out the airflow from the bumper to the ic's.

im definately steering clear of a front mount because i dont want it seen, i want to keep the a/c for summer cruising, and its gonna need all the cooling it can get without an ic heating up the rad's air.

Eswift

yes, ive had the bumper off, there should be little to no problem getting side mounts in there. probably wont even need to cut much of anything.

not much room for a fmic anyway.

those lights arent foglights though, they are the turn signals, so you will need to wire up the corners to flash as turn signals.

IvoryJ30t

hahaha, see, goes to show you how much ive driven the thing. thought the were factory foglights. i got it with aftermarket fogs on either side of the front plate, which im gonna swap out for fogs with integral turn signal flashers.

thats where the ic are goin, and im most likely gonna spray em with co2.

im thinking about designing a led display with ic temp, coolant temp, egt, and underhood temps. possibly with an adjustable temp point controller for auto operation of co2 spray of the ic's with manual override.most likely id get a thin profile led display, mount it in a thin plastic case, and clip it on the oppsite [closed] side of the visor, so i can flip it in and out of view.

possibly a heads up display of rpm on the windsheild because im definately gonna go 5 speed. paying $4500 for an auto tranny just sounds wrong.

cweberj30t
Car: 1993 J30t
2003 G35
2007 G35X
2011 G37X

Eswift,

I just bought a 93 J30t and it needs some minor belt work. I saw that you might be in the area and wanted to know if you have a shop you reccomend? I would really appreciate it.

Eswift

IvoryJ30t wrote:
possibly a heads up display of rpm on the windsheild because im definately gonna go 5 speed. paying $4500 for an auto tranny just sounds wrong.

cool ideas, are you good with electronics?

the problem with the 5 speed will really be the clutch.

plus the custom driveshaft, thats another couple hundred.

I nearly have the parking brake problem sorted out...its been too damn cold though and I had to put my interior back in for a long road trip....

hopefully I will have some time one of these weeks to finish that mini project. i will post a faq on it here when I am done.

I like your C02 spray idea, although I think i will go with water injection inside the intake tract, will help with the detonation I will be encountering with the stock CR under forced induction...

Eswift

cweberj30t wrote:Eswift,

I just bought a 93 J30t and it needs some minor belt work. I saw that you might be in the area and wanted to know if you have a shop you reccomend? I would really appreciate it.

I cant really reccommend any independent shops, and I really wish I knew of a good one around that deals with nissans and infinitis.

The one my family has been usingfor all out cars has really been screwing us over, so I have resorted to doing as much of our maint. as possible myself...cant recommend that place.

Its hard times for a lot of these shops, as far as I can tell.

Dealers are even worse, dont get me started with those, unbelievable...

Infiniti of Lisle has never done me wrong, but Im sure you know how pricey it is.

It is getting cold, but if you have your own garage and basic tools, I would recommend you to change or adjust your own accessory belts, if that is the case.

If it is a timing belt issue, thats another case...

There may be other good shops out there, but i would stick to an infiniti dealership, or someone that knows the VG.

Ultimate Z is a shop that does 300zx's, so they might be able to help you out, or point you in the right direction.

IvoryJ30t

Eswift wrote:cool ideas, are you good with electronics?

the problem with the 5 speed will really be the clutch.

plus the custom driveshaft, thats another couple hundred.

I nearly have the parking brake problem sorted out...its been too damn cold though and I had to put my interior back in for a long road trip....

hopefully I will have some time one of these weeks to finish that mini project. i will post a faq on it here when I am done.

I like your C02 spray idea, although I think i will go with water injection inside the intake tract, will help with the detonation I will be encountering with the stock CR under forced induction...

yeah, if you have any ideas for electronics, thats my area. custom PC boards, circuits, wiring, ect...

the parking brake issue is something id like to see something on.

and yes, im in the northeast and its starting to get cold out. i gotta get a car cover for it, cuz im not touching the damn thing till it thaws...

yep, if you keeping the stock motor, WI with some alcohol is probably your best bet.

Eswift

i have had a few el. projects here and there, but nothing fancy...things start to not work whenever I design in caps... I designed a ghetto LED scanner a few years ago, miscalculated the cap value by several orders of magnitude, so the thing went so fast it looked like all the lights were on all the time...thats where I gave up.

so do you etch your own boards?

I am sure some great custom work could be done for a sprayer or injection system,and a HUD? so sweet. what do you use for that, really bright LED or a gas display ors something?

IvoryJ30t

Eswift wrote:i have had a few el. projects here and there, but nothing fancy...things start to not work whenever I design in caps... I designed a ghetto LED scanner a few years ago, miscalculated the cap value by several orders of magnitude, so the thing went so fast it looked like all the lights were on all the time...thats where I gave up.

so do you etch your own boards?

I am sure some great custom work could be done for a sprayer or injection system,and a HUD? so sweet. what do you use for that, really bright LED or a gas display ors something?

hahahaha, how inappropriate is that avitar...

anyway, yes, i etch my own boards, for the hud, what works best is a vacuum flourescent display, or a very bright led display [not to good]

if you have some ideas, let me know. the temp sensors arent that difficult. basically some k-type thermocouples and sensor board. the board just reads the resisitance of the sensor and outputs to the leds. the only hard part is calibrating the unit, and that takes a few minutes

led temp unit-i made one up for my dsm that i had, but i broke it [damn dsm trannies] and got fed up with it and parted it out, so i never got to implement it. im constantly comming up with ideas for this project, so if you have anything specific, let me know. i also want to give an EBC a shot, because paying 3-500$ for something i can probably do myself doesnt sound good either.

IvoryJ30t

one thing though, ive never implemented a VFD in any circuit, im trying to find info on them [i know the z06 'vette uses one for the HUD] most of the ones ive found use a rs232 serial connection, which is a good and a bad thing, because on the up side, its just two wires to the unit, not including power. but on the down side the controller id have to make would need a rs232 serial controller, which just adds to the complexity.

ive been thinking about it, and im not sure which one id want to go with. a slim led display would be nice and brightly visable[red], but a VFD would be more of a high tech look [the nice bright blue] but add to the cost of the unit, and its components.

Return to “VG30 / VE30 Forum”