Is one of these my fuel pressure regulator? (2001 QX4)

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

I started up my QX4 on Monday and it was idling very rough. I also smelled gas.
I checked under the hood when the sun was up and saw the engine shaking around and then I noticed a big crack in my air intake duct.
I replaced that, but the problem remains. I heard this could be due to a bad fuel pressure regulator.
After a bit of research I think I found the location of it, but these two parts almost look the same.

Is it one of these, or am I looking in the wrong spot entirely?

Thanks for reading.
Attachments
fuel pressure regulator.png

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

It's the one on the left (in the picture), closest to the battery. The other one is the fuel pressure damper.

Fosty

mdmellott wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:51 pm
It's the one on the left (in the picture), closest to the battery. The other one is the fuel pressure damper.
Thank you.

Fosty

Well I grabbed one from the junkyard but it still ain't working.

I've got a lot of white smoke coming from my exhaust pipe too.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

White smoke. Smells like gas. Got the shakes because it may be choking on a flood of fuel from leaking injectors. If it is, get that fixed before driving any more. I've dealt with other cars that had fuel saturated cats that would ignite when they got hot. Sounds like a backfire but that would be the exhaust blowing its guts out as the cats fired off a discharge. The cats would be destroyed at that point. Don't let that happen. A little leak usually burns off. A lot of white smoke that smells like gas is serious.

It could also be one or more coils or plugs not firing but if that were the case you would have a misfire code with the check engine light on.

Fosty

mdmellott wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm
White smoke. Smells like gas. Got the shakes because it may be choking on a flood of fuel from leaking injectors. If it is, get that fixed before driving any more. I've dealt with other cars that had fuel saturated cats that would ignite when they got hot. Sounds like a backfire but that would be the exhaust blowing its guts out as the cats fired off a discharge. The cats would be destroyed at that point. Don't let that happen. A little leak usually burns off. A lot of white smoke that smells like gas is serious.

It could also be one or more coils or plugs not firing but if that were the case you would have a misfire code with the check engine light on.
Working on it now.
Or trying to. Been out there all day and haven't been able to access the injectors yet. Perhaps you could offer some assistance in this thread: how-the-heck-do-you-get-this-bolt-out-t632240.html

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”