How the heck do you get this bolt out? ['01 QX4]

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Fosty
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 2WD

First of all: I hate whoever designed this engine bay, I hope they are living a miserable life.

Second: How do I get this out? I already lost one wrench trying to do it. I'm about to go back to Home Depot for another, but maybe someone here can offer some advice on what to buy or what to do.
Attachments
HOW.png
Last edited by Fosty on Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fosty

Crap, I guess it helps if I post the image.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

That one bolt tried my patience the first time I removed my upper plenum. Ended up wrecking the 12mm hex head by the time I figured out the right tool to use. A 12 point angle ring end wrench, or ring spanner as the Aussies call them, is the only tool that will keep you from loosing your cool while removing or installing that bolt. Even better is a 12 point ratcheting flex head wrench. My last upper plenum removal was a snap. Having exactly the right tool is a great time saver. I bought a Husky brand from The Home Depot for this very reason. For that one troubling bolt, when I replaced my injectors a few months ago.

Don't use an open end box wrench or a hex head ring spanner. There isn't enough room back there for more 10deg or so of rotation with the wrench. Once you start moving the bolt, you won't be able to reposition the wrench to get another turn. The 12 point wrench gives you that finer control.
Attachments
Wrench, Ring End.JPG
Wrench, Ring End.JPG (19.51 KiB) Viewed 439 times
Wrench.jpg

Fosty

mdmellott wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:37 pm
That one bolt tried my patience the first time I removed my upper plenum. Ended up wrecking the 12mm hex head by the time I figured out the right tool to use. A 12 point angle ring end wrench, or ring spanner as the Aussies call them, is the only tool that will keep you from loosing your cool while removing or installing that bolt. Even better is a 12 point ratcheting flex head wrench. My last upper plenum removal was a snap. Having exactly the right tool is a great time saver. I bought a Husky brand from The Home Depot for this very reason. For that one troubling bolt, when I replaced my injectors a few months ago.

Don't use an open end box wrench or a hex head ring spanner. There isn't enough room back there for more 10deg or so of rotation with the wrench. Once you start moving the bolt, you won't be able to reposition the wrench to get another turn. The 12 point wrench gives you that finer control.
That did it.

I got the ratcheting one without the flex-head (damn things are expensive).
I did have to duck-tape and zip-tie a tire iron on there for extra leverage, but I got it off.

Ended up getting the fuel injectors out of there, but it's time for dinner and a break.... maybe until tomorrow.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Fosty wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:02 pm
I got the ratcheting one without the flex-head (damn things are expensive).
I did have to duck-tape and zip-tie a tire iron on there for extra leverage, but I got it off.
Yeah, for a single wrench, the ratcheting type can be a bit pricey. Cheaper brands like Pittsburgh from Harbor Freight will cost as much for at set of 4 or 5 as a single wrench of better quality, but the ratchet teeth will break on your first use or shortly thereafter. (been there, done that)

The angle head, or flex head, is for positioning that wrench from the side and angled away from the firewall so that it has the whole length of the wrench exposed so you can get a grip onto it and do it's thing. Coming in from the top, your straight wrench works (obviously) but the bolt is a few inch below the top side of the intake, leaving little or no exposed length of wrench to grab onto. I did a couple of odd leverage band-aids myself at first, coming at it from the top side, when I first attempted removing this bracket bolt. From the side with an angled 12-point ring spanner is the way to go.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Decent tools and not pricey. I've owned the non-flex versions below for years and they take a beating:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173864927136

20230214_105501.jpg

Fosty

I'm not destined to be a car guy.

Tried to fix my white smoke and rough engine... ended up with black smoke and a rough engine.

Might be time to buy another vehicle.

Fosty

Well, it hurts to say this, but my wife was right. It was my MAF Sensor.

At first I ruled it out because I had issues with it before and it wasn't as severe as it was this time. Mobile mechanic came by, checked it out and said it's probably the MAF sensor. So I bought one and plugged it in, and she's running great again. Just did an oil change the other day too.

Really glad because I had just installed LED bulbs and scored a floor mat for the back at the junkyard.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”