Ignition question

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
GXRINDER
Car: 1991 R32 GTR RB26DETT, mostly stock
1992 R32 GTST RB20DET, mostly stock
2006 Yamaha R6 track bike, far from stock

Hey guys,

Its been forever since i posted here, but I am in the process of buying a R32 GTR, she is red and she is gorgeous, but she has a few issues, since she is 25 years old. She has some cancer on the rear that will have to be fixed soon and she has a misfire, well stutter or stumble really not a solid misfire. It occurs both when cold at idle/2000-3500 AND when warm and boosting above 5000 rpm. the car has Okada coil packs http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htmbut strangely enough, the ignitor was bypassed during the install it seems. The Okada harness does not have a plug for the ignitor, just individual male connector ends, which i feel were meant to be wired into the old coil harness, not the main harness inplace of the ignitor. Currently, the ignitor is plug is cut off and the wires go straight to the coils. :gotme

These say they are stock replacement coils, which doesnt lead me to believe that removing the ignitor was correct, but has anyone else seen this before? I really feel that getting an ignitor (or amplifier, w/e term you use) would solve a lot of issues. lol.
I am currently living in Japan, so finding replacement parts is pretty easy and Im getting an ignitor/harness tomorrow to try, but was curious what experiences others have had.

Oh and I did search, but hard to find much info related to installation instructions and if they call for removing the ignitor.

Thanks!

Ohh and if you live in Japan, you should buy my old GTST! haha

M35Squirrel
Car: 1990 GT-R, 2011 M37

Okada has a few different products for RB26, and their top of the line coil requires no ignitor.
injectors-and-fuel-management-t607727.html

Check easy things first, your plugs.

GXRINDER
Car: 1991 R32 GTR RB26DETT, mostly stock
1992 R32 GTST RB20DET, mostly stock
2006 Yamaha R6 track bike, far from stock

Yea, I actually stumbled across some info for the coils and found this out last night.

I realized it had no ignitor while I was replacing my plugs. lol. I also cleaned the mafs for safe measure (i have a spare in case one fails). The miss when cold is gone, but its almost like she hits a wall around 6000rpm. Im going to continue to troubleshoot. Have a consult tool coming in so i can look at the ecu data and i do have a high cat temp light coming on and an exhaust leak at the cat. plan on replacing the cat this weekend and fuel filter for safe measure. Im sure ill get her sorted, but I was unaware there were stock replacement coils that deleted the ignitor.

Thanks for the info.

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”