I FOUND ANOTHER M - BEFORE / AFTER PICS

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I posted in the moderator forum a while back and it dawned on me that I forgot to post it to you guys. Sorry!

I love it when a plan comes together! I have been on a mission since my accident. Plan A was to find another M like the one that Mario Spaghetti destroyed when his Ferrari killed mine. Plan B was to buy an off-lease Genesis G80 / 90 or actually lease a new 2021 model. I searched online countrywide to find a replacement for the while whale. I was considering any color, any mileage under 150k, anywhere in the US. I even considered buying unseen and having it shipped to my house. I drew the line at certain options. It MUST have NAV and have added packages, and it MUST have the Bose surround 5.1 audio system.
I had visited local dealers and gave out some business cards out offering a $100 bounty if they came across a similar M35 or M45. I also posted on rugby team facebook pages.
I got a call from a mate Cappy who plays for the Key West Rugby Club. Turns out Cappy has an aunt who lives in Pompano Beach and he visited her for Thanksgiving. In the condo garage, there was an Infiniti sedan. He and his aunt figured out which condo was assigned that parking space and he placed a note on the door with his aunt's phone number. His aunt Millie got the call and she called Cappy, who called me, who called this nice lady named Betty.
The car belonged to her late husband who was 57 years old and a COVID victim who past back in June. The car was due to go to the dealer because it stopped running but her husband fell sick before he could get it to the dealer. She had no idea what was wrong with it and she never drove it because she has her own car. It has 115k miles - most of that was from driving back and forth to their second home in North Carolina.
Scooter and I drove up there in his work truck and he brought an assortment of tools and his scanner thingy, etc. Betty met us in the lobby and walked us through the garage to the car. It was covered in multiple layers of sea salt, grime, and sand as you would expect from an oceanfront condo garage. We had to use Scooter's power pack and it started but ran rough. Scooter hooked up his scanner and the only code was P0020 ? - something about a solenoid on bank 2. No other codes. I was ready to walk away, but Scooter talked me out of it. In the glove box were all the dealer receipts from maintenance and every oil change.
He showed me where the solenoid was and it looked like an easy fix. Betty and Scooter and I talked for a bit and she told us she had her accountant check the value of the car and it should be worth $7,000 after fixing it or $5,000 as is.
The interior was in fine shape minus dirty floor mats. I told her that I could not in good conscience pay just $5,000 when the repair would not be a $2,000 expense. She raised her price to $6,000 and I agreed. Fettuccine and I went back with a bank check the next day and I had it towed to Scooter's shop.
Turns out the solenoid has just one bolt to remove and after a couple whacks, it slid downward to remove it ... but ... in true Inifniti style, there is a huge coolant hose and a metal tube that keeps it from sliding all the way out. Another option was to leave the solenoid in place and remove the front cap on the crankshaft with the solenoid attached. Then Scooter cam up with a third possibility thinking that the solenoid could simply have a clog from years of build-up in the screens. He grabbed some MAF cleaner and attacked the portion of the solenoid we could expose. The he tightened it back up and I started the car. Scooter told me to keep reving it but stay under 2500 rpms. After the third or fourth rev, it purred quietly like it should. Holy Crap! It idled perfectly - even with the air/con on. We drove it around for a few miles and the problem never came back! I ordered a new solenoid from Infiniti anyway in case the trouble comes back.
I will do before and after pics once I finish the mods, cleaning, and paint correction.

**** Original post regarding the accident: i-m-away-for-a-spell-t627186.html

Larz

Some of the new additions that I am in the process of installing: S1Noble2 tires 255/40/19, Chrome 19 X 8 wheels, black MGP caliper covers (I have infiniti decals for them), Phillips DRLs, and Tanabe Medalion axle-back exhaust. It's coming together nicely!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Very nice!

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

It is an M35 or M45? Pics!

Larz

LIBRILZ wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:07 pm
It is an M35 or M45? Pics!
2009 M35 with the dual intake HR engine - moonlight white and wheat colored interior. I would have gladly went for the 4.5 but there are none to be had.
I'll be doing the before and after pics when it's completed, but in case I didn't post the carnage that left me 'M-less':
I was struck head-on in an intersection while turning left under a green arrow this past July by an overpaid, under skilled, wannabe F-1 driver in a leased Ferrari.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

Oh yeah I remember that post. Was asking what model the newer car was, but honestly if it's an VQHR v6, i'd take that over the 4.5. You get the 7 speed auto and a rev happy engine. Would not be surprised if they could keep up with an M45. Also they're prolly generally more reliable than the 4.5

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Ilya wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:50 pm
Very nice!
Yes. Very nice.

gavnator
Car: 2006 Infiniti M35X Obsidian Black, Bourbon Interior, Journey, Navigation
2013 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring

Larz good luck with your find. If Infiniti serviced the M you've got all the service records. Are the chrome wheels you posted above actual Infiniti chrome wheels and if so how much? :yesnod

EdBwoy

Congratulations on the find Larz.

I am glad you were able to find some peace back in the Infiniti M despite your reservations on what Infiniti had done/not done to the brand.
I have owned a few different cars, but this generation of Ms has a special part in my heart.

May it keep you as safe as your other M35s have; but more importantly, I hope that you do not get into any more situations to test that.

EdBwoy

gavnator wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:33 pm
...Are the chrome wheels you posted above actual Infiniti chrome wheels and if so how much? :yesnod
Gav, I believe they are the sport wheels that came on the early Infiniti Q50 and have gone through a chroming service. I don't know if Infiniti themselves sold it in chrome.

Outside the US, the Nissan Fuga equivalent of the M45 and M35 actually got these wheels as an option in the later years. Don't take that to the bank though - I have seen a few pictures of Fugas with them, and read about it but can't cite my sources at this time.

They are nice and fit the M body quite well. 19 inches and as a bonus, they clear the Akebono brakes without needing spacers.

Forum429
Car: Current:
Nissan R35 GT-R
Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80
Honda Civic Si FG2
Lexus XE30 IS350
Previous:
G35 Coupe
G35 Sedan
G35x Sedan
Volvo S60R

Congrats on finding the vehicle you desired.
However, I'd say there are better tires out there that are at similar price point like General G-Max or Kumho Esta PA51.
And I would definitely skip the brake covers.

Larz

EdBwoy wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:43 am
gavnator wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:33 pm
...Are the chrome wheels you posted above actual Infiniti chrome wheels and if so how much? :yesnod
Gav, I believe they are the sport wheels that came on the early Infiniti Q50 and have gone through a chroming service. I don't know if Infiniti themselves sold it in chrome.

Outside the US, the Nissan Fuga equivalent of the M45 and M35 actually got these wheels as an option in the later years. Don't take that to the bank though - I have seen a few pictures of Fugas with them, and read about it but can't cite my sources at this time.

They are nice and fit the M body quite well. 19 inches and as a bonus, they clear the Akebono brakes without needing spacers.
They were offered on an site in California called L.A. Wheels. It's a company that accepts your stock wheels in trade for a discount price or you can just buy form there shop without trade. These were either a Q50 and I forget the year. They were brand new and exchanged for a non-Infiniti brand. They were are triple plated. I paid slightly less than $2,400 with tax and shipping. Yah I know! BUT ... these were taken off a Q50 just days after the owner bought the car so they are brand new!

Larz

Quick update. The car is at Sawgrass Infiniti. I'm having all fluids changed and a complete inspection for any and all possible codes. So far, they found NO problems. Interestingly, the CATs were replaced by the dealer in 2019 and the dash airbag was also fixed under the recall. They suggested changing the belt so I agreed and I told them to do all the hoses and the PCV. You would think they would be happy with this huge, profitable work order, but you would be wrong. They 'recommended' the fuel system service, cabin filter, both engine air filters (dual intakes), and both seat filters. I told them I do my own filters. they offered me $30 off the fuel system service so I agreed.

When it comes back, I have a rear wind screen visor, sport pedals, a custom dash cover, side visors, and a new chrome hood trim piece to install. I haven't done the major paint correction so no 'after' after pics yet. Once that is done, I will do the before V after post.

I got questions about the wheels so here is the website. They have some great looking OEM wheels. Pricey perhaps, but I must say ... I am super pleased with the quality olf their work. My new wheels are EPIC !! https://lawheel.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=infiniti

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Larz - glad you're getting your new car checked out and ready to roll. I imagine you're using all of your Griot's tools for the detailing. Sounds like a fun project. I took my son-in-law up to Griot's Garage in Tacoma last month and they had two beautiful McLaren's in the showroom. One was an orange and white Senna - incredible looking car.

Please post some pictures when you're done with the detail job.

Larz

FINALLY! The reanimation of the white whale is 90% completed. I have some before / after comparisons. I must say I now have a great appreciation for the hard, brutal efforts it takes to do this sort of work on a daily basis. I'm huge fan of Jim White back i the UK who owns White Details. He taught me many many things from technique to tooth-pickery, lol. Still a few minor things need doing: window tints, carpet and headliner shampoo and the like. The biggest parts are now done.
BEFORE: 2009 Infiniti M35 112,000 miles. Confirmed maintenance vis dealership with receipts.
Appearance: In a word: Dodgy Substantial deerp film of surface dirt from lack of cleaning. After foam bath and two hand washes, film was dissolved and paint was in dire need of correction to remove swirls, clouds, scratches, dull, hazy finish.

AFTER: 5 days - 5 stage paint correction 3 step wash / dry, tar& iron removal, claybar, polish, refine, seal. clean and treat door jams, underside of hood, trunk, and exhaust. engine clean and dress, leather rejuvenate and dress. window strip, polish, dress.
paint correction complete - old wheels and tires

pedsemdoc
Car: 2013 M37 Sport - SOLD, Premium/Tech/Sport Journey
Carbon fiber engine cover
GT Spec front tower strut bar
R2C Intakes
Oil catch cans
Custom Start button LEDs

Larz - WOW! dramatic difference. I sure like how that pearlized white glistens. I had the same color on my M37.
Hard to get touch up paint to match compared to a regular white, but when it's freshly clay barred and polished... :cool:

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Larz - what an awesome transformation and glad you're getting it the way that you wanted it. I'm in that time of year in which I just wish I could work on it and looking forward to spring and getting it back into the shape that I want it to be in. How long has it taken you to do the detailing work on your own?

Larz

kmiles wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:34 pm
Larz - what an awesome transformation and glad you're getting it the way that you wanted it. I'm in that time of year in which I just wish I could work on it and looking forward to spring and getting it back into the shape that I want it to be in. How long has it taken you to do the detailing work on your own?
It was two trips to the dealer - one for the tires, wheel, and brakemotive, and one for the exhaust
One full day for the pressure washer to clean the wheel arches, engine, and paint / then a snow foam soak followed by two hand washes.
One full day for the iron remover, then the tar remover, then a quick wash / dry, then the claybar and a rubdown with Gyeon Prep.
One full day for the engine clean and dress, trunk, door jams, carpet shampoo and interior cleaning
One full day of chasing with polish on the rest of the paint - some area needed 2-3 passes!
One full day for blowdown to remove dust, wipedown with Gyeon Prep, and application of finishing creme.
Fettuccine (the lovely misses) did the glass cleaning and polishing while I did engine and trunk.

It was like watching a video form White Details on youtube except I had to do the work, LOL

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”