I"M AWAY FOR A SPELL

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I posted to the mods back in July, but forgot to let you lot know. Sorry!

I reckon this will NOT buff out ....................

While turning north with a left turn traffic light, a car came south through a red light and slammed me good. Thank God I was alone in the car. The air bags worked flawlessly, but burned my arm and face. The seat belt pretensioner also worked perfectly, winching me back against my seat in a flash. I can't work out exactly how, but my left wrist, two fingers, and my left knee were fractured. My right knee is swollen but not fractured, so good on me there. A scan showed disc damage in my neck. Long story short, my right side is doing very well. I remember a little white car came flying from nowhere, headed right for me. Before I could say oh crap, it was over. Next thing I knew, I was sat crooked in the car, choking on smoke, glass in my arm and in my lap, and basically hurting everywhere. I think I was sort of stunned and it took a bit to realize what just happened.

There were pieces of both cars all over the roadway. I could see the rear end of the other car (I remember saying out loud: Oh a Ferrari) LOL. Then the police and EMTs were all over me and I was strapped to a plastic board on the roadway, my limbs wrapped, my neck braced and taped, and I was chucked into an ambulance. The car was towed to my dealer's body shop. That was Wednesday. I must say, I don't think I was ever in that much pain in that many places at the same time.

The other driver was was ticketed and sent to hospital. The incident report lists a 2015 Ferrari 458, excessive speed, and lists the driver as a realtor, not the F1 driver he was pretending to be. Not sure how he is doing. Scooter took Fettucini to the body shop lot to fetch all my belongings. Fettucini says aside from the airbag, the interior looks like nothing happened. The entire cabin stayed intact. I think that's amazing. If only it had knee airbags it would have been the perfect sedan. Making a mental note for my next car, LOL. What really angers me is they left the hood UP, allowing wind / rain to soil the engine bay. It was suitable to dine on just 48 hours earlier! AND ... it got 4 new tires, new brakes / rotors and brake fluid, coolant service, gearbox and rear diff service, engine belt and hoses, and oil / filter change in the last few weeks. I did both engine air filters, seat filters, and cabin filter myself in the last month or so.

UPDATE:
I am home now with a brand new knee and slowly mending. Good days and bad, like all of us. I'll be back (like a bad rash) from time to time.

LIBRILZ
Car: 1990 Nissan 300zx
2007 M45 Sport

How unfortunate, you had quite a clean car. Sucks that folks don't know how to drive. Glad you are ok though. I always considered these and other Infinitis to be safe cars. Guess it gets reaffirmed!

1st35
Car: 2007 M35x 2000 Lexus RX300 1998 Toyota RAV4

Wow, glad you are on the mend. I noticed the air filters looked new. Will they total it? Take time to let yourself heal so you won't have more aches and pains later!

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

Incredible and annoying. I guess some folks/jinx just don't like you in the Infiniti. If I'm correct this is the second getting unaccountably smashed. Above all thank God you came out safe. We love you here; get another Infiniti.

Larz

1st35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:32 am
Wow, glad you are on the mend. I noticed the air filters looked new. Will they total it? Take time to let yourself heal so you won't have more aches and pains later!
Geico is giving me $7700 for my car, Actually it was $8200 but I have a $500 deductible - which my lawyer will add to the bill we send to "Mr I have a Ferrari, but can't drive for crap".

Larz

Costee wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:26 pm
Incredible and annoying. I guess some folks/jinx just don't like you in the Infiniti. If I'm correct this is the second getting unaccountably smashed. Above all thank God you came out safe. We love you here; get another Infiniti.
You are correct. My 07 was killed by a drunk tart who rear-ended me at 60mph. I think the mileage on the 07 was about 105k and this one was at 111k. Maybe I need to change up my cars at 99k?

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Larz - I'm glad you survived and that you're healing. I remember reading about your wreck a few years ago and your recovery. There must be some really bad drivers in southern Florida! I know you've been thinking about a Genesis. What kind of car do you think you'll end up getting? Maybe Mr. Ferrari can help you buy a new Ferrari.

EdBwoy

Holy smokes! I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. And I'm glad you're in good enough spirits to give us the story in such a way that only Larz can!

Best of luck in your recovery, and if I happened to hear that you now drive a humongous SUV for safety, I wouldn't be surprised.

Btw, the valuation by Geico seems pretty low, especially considering the recent maintenance. However, I suppose that is something they consider when it is comprehensive rather than collision damage. They leave you to fight the at-fault party regarding any residual value you think is owed to you.

cruzad3r
Car: 2006 M35x fully loaded

holy crap man. so glad that you are ok. car you can replace, human/yourself - not so much.

Larz

EdBwoy wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:14 pm
Holy smokes! I'm glad you're here to tell the tale. And I'm glad you're in good enough spirits to give us the story in such a way that only Larz can!

Best of luck in your recovery, and if I happened to hear that you now drive a humongous SUV for safety, I wouldn't be surprised.

Btw, the valuation by Geico seems pretty low, especially considering the recent maintenance. However, I suppose that is something they consider when it is comprehensive rather than collision damage. They leave you to fight the at-fault party regarding any residual value you think is owed to you.
I wasn't happy with the payout at first, but Geico gave me a multi page report that included dealer and private party sales in my area and the highest they could find with my mileage was a little under $10k at a nissan dealer with 97k miles. The mean value for my area was $7,630 and they gave me extra credit for the condition of the car. I'm sure I could have gotten $10k easily but that's not part of their formula of course. I always keep a positive / humorous spin on bad things cuz I believe it helps to keep weight off your back while you deal with crap things.

Larz

kmiles wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm
Larz - I'm glad you survived and that you're healing. I remember reading about your wreck a few years ago and your recovery. There must be some really bad drivers in southern Florida! I know you've been thinking about a Genesis. What kind of car do you think you'll end up getting? Maybe Mr. Ferrari can help you buy a new Ferrari.
My first choice is a bit unrealistic. I want exactly what I had, or close enough that I invest a few dollars to make it what I had. It will have to be a sport / luxury sedan with a petrol engine and RWD so there aren't many choices. This is the second serious high-speed wreck in an M and if I'm honest, both of them did an amazing job at protecting me. I won't by American or German so that leaves Lexus, Genesis, or Equus. Jaguar quality has been sinking fir a few years now and it's now a Chinese company with Land Rover so no longer on my list. My lawyer and I will probably be ready with a figure for Mr Ferrari and his insurance company in a year or so and that leaves me plenty of time to see what's around at that time.

cjstringer920
Car: '09 M35x

Wow. Sad to hear you lost the car, happy you made it out without worse injuries.

Keep your spirits up.

The other driver needs to pay. Make sure you and the lawyer get a really good number out of him. You will have problems down the road that you can't imagine now.

I had a similar issue about 20 years ago when someone ran a red light and totaled my motorcycle then tried to drive away. In my shock I ran down the road an ripped them out of their car at the next light. Yes, I was injured, but didn't realize it until I had ripped the driver out of his car for trying to run. 21 year old kid on his birthday, had just left the bar. 2pm.
Still fighting through those injuries today. I didn't get near enough for it.

kmiles
Car: 2015 Q70 3.7 AWD - Hermosa Blue
Sold - 2007 M35x

Larz wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:58 am
kmiles wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:19 pm
My first choice is a bit unrealistic. I want exactly what I had, or close enough that I invest a few dollars to make it what I had. It will have to be a sport / luxury sedan with a petrol engine and RWD so there aren't many choices. This is the second serious high-speed wreck in an M and if I'm honest, both of them did an amazing job at protecting me. I won't by American or German so that leaves Lexus, Genesis, or Equus. Jaguar quality has been sinking fir a few years now and it's now a Chinese company with Land Rover so no longer on my list. My lawyer and I will probably be ready with a figure for Mr Ferrari and his insurance company in a year or so and that leaves me plenty of time to see what's around at that time.
The choices are slim, but I'm in a similar boat. Genesis has hardly any dealers in Western Washington - the closest ones are 75 miles north and 105 miles south. I recently had a new Volvo S60 T6 AWD as a rental and both my wife and I loved it. I would also add Volvo to my list. They're US built as of 2020. I think that the S90 is China built right now.

Mjkkb2
Car: 2018 QX60 AWD, 2011 M37S, 2011 Quest, 2001 I30t(sold)

wow, Glad to hear you're in good spirits. Maybe it's not a car model issue but a zip code issue for you. Didn't you say you had an escalade or something similar that got totaled before your first M? Gotta think about moving out of South Florida Larz :)

bicsintegra
Car: '06 Infiniti M35
'06 Infiniti G35 coupe
'11 Ford F-150 FX4
'13 Ford Edge Sport

take care life is precious, and Florida, Texas, and LA have the worst drivers.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

I've been driving this train since 2002, and this thread really brings something to light:

Not only do we have the best damn staffers of ANY forum community, but we have the best members. The way you guys all look out for each other and help out is truly humbling.

Thank you all for giving a damn about Larz - and Larz, thanks for all you do for the M community. Carry on.

Larz

Mjkkb2 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am
wow, Glad to hear you're in good spirits. Maybe it's not a car model issue but a zip code issue for you. Didn't you say you had an escalade or something similar that got totaled before your first M? Gotta think about moving out of South Florida Larz :)
Wow! That is right! That Escalade is what brought me here. I was T-boned by a drunk in a huge Ford pickup and I believe it was before noon! That was my lesson never to buy brand new,lol. It lead me to my first used car - my 2007 M35. I loved that bourbon leather. So, if we're keeping a tally ... Two drunks and a wannabe F-1 driver, three cars which makes three sizeable insurance payouts, two very expensive hospital / therapy courses, and one major injury. Fettucini says when I call to start insurance on my next car, they will likely hang up soon as I give my name, LOL.

Larz

AZhitman wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:08 pm
I've been driving this train since 2002, and this thread really brings something to light:

Not only do we have the best damn staffers of ANY forum community, but we have the best members. The way you guys all look out for each other and help out is truly humbling.

Thank you all for giving a damn about Larz - and Larz, thanks for all you do for the M community. Carry on.
I believe every organization reflects it's leadership. It all starts at the top and this forum is no exception. We're naturally great peeps because you attract peeps like yourself. Back at ya mate!

quinner49er
Car: 2008 Inifiniti M45X Pyrite Grey with wheat leather/rosewood, fully loaded; 2016 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premier Gun Metallic with black leather, fully loaded

I have not been on recently, so I was shocked to hear the bad news, Larz!! At least the M seems to have done a good job of protecting you from something potentially much worse!! My wife's Volvo V70 was totalled about 5 years ago by a driver running a red light. She walked away uninjured, but a tenth-of-a-second later it might have been a very different story! It's the other idiots out there that you have to look out for.

I wish you the very best on a full recovery and a return to normal! It's also great to see the comments and support from everyone else and some old, familiar names. This has always been a great forum with lots of good guys, who are ready and willing to share with and support the other members!! Take care of yourself!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”