HOW TO: s13 headliner re-upholster

NICO's official source for Nissan upholstery, carpet, headliners, and trim information!
NismoDriver240
Car: 2005 STi

I must start this first by saying please excuse my terrible pictures. i didnt take any while doing it since my hands as well as a friends, were busy holding the fabric in place. the pics i have will be perfect for you to figure things out

also, i didnt have a plastic headliner piece or anything, just a metal roof. if you want to do things like me pull it out and follow the steps, or remove it, wrap the fabric around it, then re-install it. since i dont have a headliner i have no idea how to do that

here goes

Difficulty: * out of *****Time: about half an hourMaterials Needed: Fabric of choice (50" x 50"... plenty of extra to work with) ~$7ScissorsRazorblade3M Spray Adhesive $10Ruler or other flat thing to push air bubbles (I used a license plate :P)A friend, family member, helper of some kindPrice: (assuming you have a razorblade, scissors, and dont have to find a friend of craigslist...) $17

spray adhesive:

Fabric can be found at Joe-Ann Fabrics or Wal*Mart

Step One:

This is your roof, assume black is the actual metal... i warned you to excuse my pics remember?

the first trick to hold your fabric (mine is pink) in place is to open your hatch (if you have one) and tuck in enough just so it holds and hangs down, looking like this:

if you do not have a hatch, simply skip this step, its just an easy way I did

Step Two:

Spray the adhesive, after shaking can well, to both the roof and fabric. apply liberally, but not so much so it is soaked, depending on your fabric. I used felt. It didnt absorb the glue so it worked well, you'll know and if you use to much no worries, it'll dry.

Let stand for a minimum of 30 seconds. this allows the adhesive to begin to dry and get tacky. When it's really tacky, like 30 to 40 seconds depending on wind if outside or w/e, proceed to next step.

Step Three:Using a friend or helper or whatever, lean driver and passenger seats all the way back, lay down, pull fabric tight, and firmly press the glue together. It should immediately stick, so flatten FROM THE CENTER, This reduces air bubbles and sags. Use whatever you have for something flat, smooth out the fabric, but act quick, then get back to applying pressure. A minute will do, your arms get tired quicker than you think.

At this point you can simply repeat steps two and three until everything is in place. Remember to add some extra glue around the edges so the wind doesn't get up under there. Once all glued, proceed to the next step.

Step Four:Get your razorblade and be careful. Lets start at the windshield. Feel for a deep ridge, its extremely hard to miss. Cut along using that ridge as a guide. Your not cutting along your windshield or weather stripping so dont worry. Then move above the windows. Again, feel for the hard to miss ridge, use it as a guide with a downward angle so that the fabric, once cut, will line up perfect with the door molding. Repeat for the rear windows and back window. If you tucked into the hatch simply open the hatch and use that as a guide. Dont forget your interior light!! Simply poke a hole in the center, then cut it out, since its its own little hole this is the easiest cut ever.

Thats it your done!! Again, I apologize for my lack of pictures, but I dont think you truly need pics, but it's helpful i know

This was my first write-up so let me know if anything is unclear

MacfromTK

Looks pretty good, I'll probably end up doing this to replace my headliner. Do you think the 50x50 will cover of the trunk area on a hatch as well? I don't have any crapeting in my hatch and want to put some sort of material back there. Also planning to use that material for the glove box and shift boot.

NismoDriver240

hmmm... i didnt measure the back so idk the size, i'd just get the carpet that goes on the back seat maybe. for the shift boot and glovebox i was thinkin maybe gucci, but i dont have any brown except y seats which are gunna be replaced so idk... maybe black gucci... or black and pink

thinking out loud haha

MacfromTK

I'll try wrapping the rear hatch area with that material. I saw something like it in a really clean Starlet, so we'll see how that goes. Keep us updated with the shift boot and gloave box.

positron1
Car: Project: 1993 Nissan 240SX Coupe SR
Daily: 2010 Honda Civic Coupe

I've been looking for someone to attempt this.

flying_monkeee
Car: '91 RPS13 & '95 S14 w/ a Kouki face

This thread is so AWESOME!!! I will be doing something like this for the rest of my interior... whoo hoo! I think I'll do my panels too, make it kinda like my wife's Scion tC

urbanskiben
Car: 1991 240sx with 93 motor bored out

you could also jus ull ur head liner down and re do it that way and put desins in it with thin foam or card board!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NismoDriver240

True, but I did this ghetto how to because I didnt have a headliner, all I had above me was the metal of the car. It was echo-y and kind of chilly haha

urbanskiben
Car: 1991 240sx with 93 motor bored out

i get y no okay and the chilly thing i no how that is

IanS
Car: 2002 Subaru WRX, 2010 Subaru Forester XT, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe.

Can you get some finished pictures of the new fabric?

If you can get a finalized picture, I will article this.

ZOMG.SR20
Car: 1990 s13

too bad this headliner was ripped out by me and replaced

Return to “Interiors”