How To: Install Fortin Remote Start (2012 M37x)

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
TLoc
Car: 2012 M37x

No issues with mine.

stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Nice write up TLoc

TLoc

Thanks

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good to hear T, I plan to do this. Way cheaper than $375 too thanks to you!

TLoc

Yeah Ilya, it was actually kind of a fun DIY. Also, I don't think I mentioned it before, but the RF kit has a nice blue flashing LED on the antenna that makes it look like you have an aftermarket security system.

NRGM45
Car: 2012 M37S Tech, Deluxe Touring, Sport Moonlight White/Graphite
2006 M45 Tech, Journey, Sport Obsidian Black/Graphite

Mine still works great.

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

What do you guys think about this system? Seems like plug and play? I didn't go through the DIY (thanks for the write up btw), but this one seems like it has a few plugs and that's it?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NAO6WFU/ ... MG7H&psc=0

NRGM45
Car: 2012 M37S Tech, Deluxe Touring, Sport Moonlight White/Graphite
2006 M45 Tech, Journey, Sport Obsidian Black/Graphite

That's the system we've been talking about! The EVO-NIST. Don't pay that guy an extra 40 dollars, just because he thinkd he's cooler and charge more, though.. lol Buy it straight from the manufacturer for $84. SAME PRODUCT.

https://www.amazon.com/Fortin-Stand-Alo ... 8N0QDVP8DY

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

oh sweet! I guess I didn't look closely enough :) This is why the community is awesome!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Okay...so a kind member on here was nice enough to send me his EVO-NIST from his G37 that he no longer needed (huge thanks if you are still around H)...almost a year ago (Feb 2018 lol). I'm finally getting around to installing a whole bunch of stuff in my car (see my GROM thread lol) and the remote start is next on the list.

I've already ordered and received the flash link updater. Do you guys still definitely recommend getting the RF antenna? Is this the one I want for sure? https://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-RFA ... +RFALL642W

satown210
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37
2005 Nissan Xterra Off Road

Curious about the security portion. If you remote start and someone breaks in does it alarm? Does it kill the engine if the key isn't present when touching the brake? Or, does it act like you started it and walked off with the key. Meaning just a "KEY NOT FOUND" warning but will continue to run but will not restart.

I had a few different remote starters on past vehicles. Some completely disabled all factory anti-theft systems. The alarm and immobilizers. Some just deactivated during the remote starting. Curious how this one works.

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

Ilya, you only need the RF antenna if you plan on remote starting it from a long distance. Otherwise, it will have the same range as your current keyless entry. Here's a quick test: assuming you can hear/see your car from where you'd want to remote start it, push the lock button and see if it triggers the car to flash/honk. If it doesn't work (this sounds silly but works), but the key fob directly under and touching your chin, then try pushin the lock button again. I learned this long ago as an installer, it basically uses your body as an antenna to send the remote signal.

Satown, I haven't tested out what you're asking, but it's my understanding that the engine dies if you step on the brake without the key present. I also think it shuts off if the door opens without the key present as well, but I'm less sure about this.

Ilya

mrnix wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:13 pm
Ilya, you only need the RF antenna if you plan on remote starting it from a long distance. Otherwise, it will have the same range as your current keyless entry. Here's a quick test: assuming you can hear/see your car from where you'd want to remote start it, push the lock button and see if it triggers the car to flash/honk. If it doesn't work (this sounds silly but works), but the key fob directly under and touching your chin, then try pushin the lock button again. I learned this long ago as an installer, it basically uses your body as an antenna to send the remote signal.
Yep, I know this trick hah. But I put it to my skull, not under my chin.

mrnix

Ilya wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm
mrnix wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:13 pm
Not trying to talk you out of it, but you can always add the antenna later. The fortin has an aux input, for lack of a better word, and you can just tag that wire and tie it up for later use, if needed.

Ilya

mrnix wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:36 pm
Ilya wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Not trying to talk you out of it, but you can always add the antenna later. The fortin has an aux input, for lack of a better word, and you can just tag that wire and tie it up for later use, if needed.
I still might get it for the times when I'm at the mall or at a sporting event and want to start the car. So the one I linked is the one to get for sure?

mrnix

Any of them should work, so I can't vouch for that one individually. I doesn't necessarily have to be "compatible" as the Fortin only needs a ground signal on one wire to activate, which any of these should provide.

Ilya

Thanks Mr. Nix!

Ilya

Can someone help me? This is for the RF kit. The harness I have has a connector that won't connect. This is in regards to step 10 of the install.

Do I just need to cut the connectors on both ends and connect the wires wire for wire? Also, do I need to worry about the white and blue wires and the connectors they go to?

EDIT: Or does this plug into the EVO-ALL as one of the other comments said and I don't have to do anything?

Ilya

I decided to skip the RF stuff for now as it looks like I didn't get the 2nd harness that should have came with it (messaged the Amazon seller already). Still buttoning everything up but I think everything else went smoothly.

EDIT: Car won't remote start and my interior lights blink when the door is closed...troubleshooting...

EDIT2: Loose battery terminal...all good. Car starts great. Just need to get my RF stuff done so I can start from a greater distance and I'm rockin. Thanks TLoc, Reggier, Mr. Nix, etc. for the guidance!

Ilya

Okay so I got everything installed. Have sporadic issues though...sometimes the car will run for a few minutes and sometimes a few seconds. Gonna reach out to tech support on Monday and also going to take the unit out of the car and confirm all the settings but anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

mrnix

Ilya wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm
Okay so I got everything installed. Have sporadic issues though...sometimes the car will run for a few minutes and sometimes a few seconds. Gonna reach out to tech support on Monday and also going to take the unit out of the car and confirm all the settings but anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
does it only prematurely shut off sometimes? Or all the time? does it ever work properly? if it is always shutting off early, I'd expect you have either a loose ground or bad connection to the brake wire, or that the module wasn't programmed to the key correctly. No experience with any of these specifically, just a guess on my part.

Ilya

mrnix wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:10 pm
Ilya wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:59 pm

Thanks!
does it only prematurely shut off sometimes? Or all the time? does it ever work properly? if it is always shutting off early, I'd expect you have either a loose ground or bad connection to the brake wire, or that the module wasn't programmed to the key correctly. No experience with any of these specifically, just a guess on my part.
Forgot to update the thread. It only seemed to have issues that first day but the last few times it's seemed to work great. At this point I'm waiting on my RF wire and then I'll finish up the install. I love this thing, nothing worse than a cold car. This way the car is warm AND the V8 engine is ready to rock :).

Ilya

TLoc wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:03 pm
Sorry, I am probably making this more confusing than it is. There is no additional work with the RF kit other than running the antenna wire. That being said if you don't need the range it works great up close with the stock key fob. One consideration for me was leaving at 5AM I didn't want to have to press lock, honk my horn, 3x to start it. RF kit is silent.

I will try to clear things up. I probably should have added some pics of the harnesses to the How To. I didn't think of it and this forum only lets you edit a post for a limited amount of time.

Here is a picture of the harness that comes with the RF.

Black and red go to power. Male black connector to the Evo-All and blue connector to RF antenna.

Here is a diagram of the harness that comes with the EVO-All.

If you do a stand-alone install you will have to cut the black and red wire on the 4 wire connector (Connection B in the diagram). You connect those to the power in step 11. If you use the RF it's harness plugs into connection B.
FML. So the RF kit I bought is missing the harness in the first picture. They are telling me none of the RF kits they sell have that and that the image on the Amazon page is wrong. They are willing to do a return, but I cut one of the plugs off thinking I had to manually make connections before realizing I just wasn't sent everything.

Can someone post the page they bought their RF kit from? I need someone that we know has everything I need. Thanks!

Ilya

Jinxed myself. Car isn't remote starting at all now. WTH.

mrnix

it's been nearly 2 years since I did this one, but IIRC the yellow/black wire is the one you want anyway. Your RF unit should put out a (-) momentary signal when you activate it, which would start the car via external input. A quick test if that's working before you hook up the RF would be to strip a little of that wire back and touch it to ground. The car should start up if everything else is working ok. I also think the Fortin has some sort of code to tell you what's wrong via flashing lights on the module if it's not working - but I could be imagining that.

Ilya

mrnix wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:27 pm
it's been nearly 2 years since I did this one, but IIRC the yellow/black wire is the one you want anyway. Your RF unit should put out a (-) momentary signal when you activate it, which would start the car via external input. A quick test if that's working before you hook up the RF would be to strip a little of that wire back and touch it to ground. The car should start up if everything else is working ok. I also think the Fortin has some sort of code to tell you what's wrong via flashing lights on the module if it's not working - but I could be imagining that.
I'll have to check for this yellow/black wire.

In the meantime, here is where I'm at with the car.

On brutal mornings, it won't start. The battery is only like 2 months old.

I just had lunch after driving the car and because it was still warm, the car started from the window where I was eating...but died 5 seconds later. It wouldn't restart after hitting lock 3 times.

mrnix

Wish I could help, but I'm out of suggestions at this point. I did reach out to the fortin support people while I was working on mine, and they were really nice and helpful. Maybe check it all out and give that a shot?

Ilya

Okay so I got my missing RF wire. I connect the antenna to blue, the black male went into my EVO-ALL. The red white went to my power wire in the earlier steps, black to ground.

EVO-ALL flashes blue on each door lock press.
After 3x OEM remote lock button, it flashes red like 5-6 times and then nothing happens. Per the Fortin troubleshooting guide, it might be the brake wire...but we didn't connect a wire for that, just the connectors. I reseated them anyway.

If I use the RF remotes, the same thing happens. Remote will chime if I hold the button and then flash green and then chime again and show red. The RF antenna flashes rapidly if I use the OEM or Crimestopper remotes.

I've checked the pertinent wires...gonna have to reach out to them but as it is the weekend I figured maybe someone here could work with the details provided. Otherwise I have a day off on Monday so I'll just call their support then.

reggiebrown40
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport
2011 Infiniti M56x - Dead

Thanks to everyone who provided input on this. I finally got around to installing the Fortin remote start today. Works great so far. Backstory - I had the geniuses at BestBuy install a Viper alarm and remote start back in December. It never worked right. Also, if you let the Viper unit lose power for too long it clears the settings and will need to be re-paired. it's impossible to get Bestbuy on the phone so you have to drive over to have them fix whatever issue comes up. You have to go back because there is no way for the end user to reprogram the unit. It has to always be done by an authorized dealer. I had to go back three times and finally said enough is enough and made them remove the unit.

Couple of things with the install - I could not get the start button out. I ended up jamming my fingers into the back and disconnecting the harness that way. Also the fortin harness came with a lot of extra wires that I did not use. They could probably simplify the harness more for the infiniti/Nissan lineup.

I have to give it to Fortin. Their software is fairly easy to follow.

R

Ilya

I still haven't figured mine out. I don't know what the issue. I'm working insane hours (60-70 a week) so I have no time to even call Fortin for help. At this point winter will be over and I'll try again sometime in the summer.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”