How do you stop all the D*M pop up ads????

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
CapeCodChips
Car: Gun Metal Grey `14 Rogue SV

Non stop
delete
here comes another
over and over
I'm done here if they don't stop. :taz:

Revised: when I visit from Google Chrome I'm over run with popups. Whether laptop or phone.
They're not there when I visit from Internet Explorer
Any geeks know why?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Just install the Chrome extension AdBlock

daltonvol
Car: 2014 Rogue SL (Premium Pkg)
Traded - 2013 Rogue SV (SL Package)
2011 Maxima S

Yeah, I'm in Chrome with AdBlock running. As I type this response, it says it's blocking 14 ads.

hawki
Car: 2015 Rogue SL Premium
Red / Almond

I have Ad Blocker add-on for both Chrome and Firefox - and I have not seen ads for years.
Also has the Ghostery add-on - it blocks/removes all trackers.

RyleyinSTL
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SL AWD w/ Premium Pkg.

This forum is a NIGHTMARE without an ad block. I visited with my phone the other day and there was a popup every 5 seconds. Makes you wonder what the owners of the site do with our personal info (e-mail address)....sell to the highest bidder?

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

NICO has NO popup ads. If you're seeing them, they are from something else (either adware, or something else you've picked up from browsing elsewhere).

You need to scan for malware and viruses and remove any offenders.

I wish it were as simple as us just turning off the popup ads, but since it's not a part of NICO in any way, we can't make it stop. :frown:

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

CapeCodChips wrote:Non stop
delete
here comes another
over and over
I'm done here if they don't stop. :taz:

Revised: when I visit from Google Chrome I'm over run with popups. Whether laptop or phone.
They're not there when I visit from Internet Explorer
Any geeks know why?
The site is not your issue. Something is going on with your browser and devices you're browsing with. I'd run a full anti-virus scan, download Malware Bytes if you don't already have it on your PC and run a full scan, then download something like CCleaner and let it clean up your registry and other issues. You'll be shocked how much stuff you'll probably find that you'd never even think would be there.

Personally i've noticed that Chrome has begun to rapidly decline and let a lot more crap get through as of a late. I'd recommend dumping it or at least running the AdBlock extension. If you're visiting from Internet Explorer without any pop-ups, but are getting pop-ups with Chrome then obviously something is embedded in Chrome causing it. I had a similar issue with Chrome a few months ago where I couldn't get a pop-up to go away no matter what I did. I found what it was, but the problem with Chrome is that it basically copies everything to every location you have it installed so the problem will follow you everywhere.

I switched back to Firefox and haven't ever had a problem again.
RyleyinSTL wrote:This forum is a NIGHTMARE without an ad block. I visited with my phone the other day and there was a popup every 5 seconds. Makes you wonder what the owners of the site do with our personal info (e-mail address)....sell to the highest bidder?
Let me repeat what MoD said: NICOclub HAS NO POP-UP ADS. You obviously have something wrong on your end, because I can visit from multiple phones/mobile devices with zero pop-ups. Quit trying to blame one site for your issues :slap:

In addition to that - The OWNER does everything in his power to keep this site free and he, nor anyone else here sells your information to anyone. So kindly remove your tinfoil hat and calm down. :)

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

RyleyinSTL wrote:This forum is a NIGHTMARE without an ad block. I visited with my phone the other day and there was a popup every 5 seconds. Makes you wonder what the owners of the site do with our personal info (e-mail address)....sell to the highest bidder?
The owner is Greg Childs (AZHitman). He does not sell anyone's private information. Such statements are ignorant and naive.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

RyleyinSTL, your phone has most likely been compromised by an app you've installed. I had a similar issue awhile back on my tablet, and it only affected this site. After a little research, I found and removed the offending app, and the problem went away.

You can try running Addons Detector and AirPush Detector.

In a worse case scenario, you'll need to uninstall every app you've put on your phone, reinstalling them one at a time, and testing them by accessing this site to determine which one is the culprit.

CapeCodChips
Car: Gun Metal Grey `14 Rogue SV

Thanks everyone.

Taz is now doing his happy dance

:taz: :taz:

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

download and install the free Malwarebytes from Malwarebytes.org. Here is direct download link

Run a quick scan and anything it finds delete.

After that run AdwCleaner
Check off anything it finds and Delete. It will have you restart after. This will clean up any browser add ons that are malware/adware. It will also get rid of any toolbars that are not legit.

nissangirl74
Car: 2014 Xterra Pro4X, '12 Titan 4x4, '98 240sx, '89 Pao, '77 620, '72 240Z w/RB25, '68 510, '67 WRL411, '67.5 SPL 311, '63 Bluebird, '63 NL320

We are not collecting or selling anyone's information to anyone. Please take care of the problems on your end before you come in here and take a s*** on our doorstep. Kthxbai :wavey:

P.S. Chrome is horrible. I don't use it for anything. Firefox is the best way to go after your clean up your devices.

WDRacing

Chrome FTW. FF can EAD.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

WDRacing wrote:Chrome FTW. FF can EAD.
Chrome is probably one of the many reasons your laptop took a crap. It's junk and let's too much crap get through. Adblock just keeps you from having to deal with it.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

Chrome sucks because to configure it correctly, you have to do it all in the about:config settings. Not only that, but its interface is childish, clunky and feels like it was designed by Apple's retard rejects. FireFox is starting to suck because they're taking a cue from Chrome now. The new format can EAD.

WDRacing

I love Chrome. Works exactly fine for me. Then again I'm not a f*** obsessive like you and Chris. I don't have to root my phone to enjoy it either.

Kompresshun
Administrator

I haven't rooted a phone in years, thank you very much.

Chrome just never has really been a solid browser IMHO. I used it for a couple of years exclusively and it always lacked in a lot of areas. It's a resource hog, it lets crap get through that shouldn't, it's a pain to configure, it crashes too much, and I don't like Google's obsession with taking over the world.

I will say that I loved how it synced across every device, but that wasn't all that great when it failed in all other areas. Firefox FTW.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

I'm not sure I would call trying to get the piece of crap to just to do what I want it to obsessive.

WDRacing

Not sure what you guys are doing, or need to do, that Chrome fails at. I don't have any problems with "stuff being let in" at all. Enable an adblocker...done. Never had a single problem after doing that.

I don't like FF. AT ALL. I used to use FF all the time, for years. Then I tried Chrome and found it to do everything I wanted and like you mentioned, it syncs everything. I really like that feature. IE is just full of suck. There are other options, but none of them do what Chrome does.

You guys dislike Chrome, which is fine, but it certainly doesn't suck.

As far as Google taking over the world, dude, better Google than anyone else IMHO.

12rogue

I have firefox and this sight is so slow it's almost unusable due to being over run with ads. This has only started recently (passed month or so) and only on this site.
If i have more than one nicoclub tab open my browser pretty much freezes up and scrolling from the top of the page to the bottom takes forever. As I type this there are 14 ads displayed my screen all. Almost all show a blue arrow in a corner of the ad that says adchoices when you hover on one.

I clicked on one of the blue arrows and it took me to an Adsense Help page which says that they are google ads.

Here is what it says:
Ever notice "Ads by Google," "Sponsored Links," or the AdChoices icon AdChoices icon as you browse the web? Ads like these show all across the Internet. Advertisers can use AdWords to show Google Ads on sites that are part of the Google Display Network. You may come across such ads when you’re viewing a website, video, or app on Google’s Display Network or other partner sites. In addition to seeing ads based on the types of sites you visit, you may also see ads based on your interests and more.

Nicoclub is the only site i visit that has these show up or at least i notice them because of how slow my browser becomes. I can't figure out a way to get rid of them or speed up nicoclub scrolling.

It really makes using this site frustrating due to the slowness.

I use Adaware pro security and Malwarebytes and neither one of them come up with any type of infection or malware.

12rogue

I am now using internet explorer and it is much better. Only 4 ads show up and only two of them have the blue adchoices arrow.

I did some googling and it looks like there is conflicting information as to whether or not this is malware or actually legit google advertising. I'll try a couple more spyware/adware removal programs and see what happens.

12rogue

here is how the site looks when I'm using firefox.

Top of Page

Bottom of Page

There are a few more ads between the top and bottom of the page but this should give you a good idea of what is going on.

does this look normal to you guys?

As far as I can tell my PC is clean from malware/spyware/viruses.

12rogue

If you notice in most of the ads there is the blue triangle in the corner, sometimes the pop up ads at the bottom where you see flo from progressive have the blue triangle and sometimes they don't but it is definitely a pop up of some sort.

Clicking on the blue triangle sometimes takes you to this page:

I still can't figure out how to get rid of them even with adblock on firefox.
I am running firefox version 29.0.1 with adblock plus

any ideas? Does anyone else see any of this stuff?
Last edited by 12rogue on Tue May 27, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

WDRacing

Try Chrome and install the extension, adblock. Works great for me, I don't get any BS ads anymore. From facebook to The Pirate Bay, stops them all.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

12rogue, Install ad block plus for Firefox, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... b-dl-users

Go to Tools in Firefox and choose add-ons (another way is Control+Shift+A)
Go to Extensions on the Left - Click on Options to the right of Ad Block Plus
Click on Filter Preferences

Then at the bottom UNCHECK allow some non intrusive advertising

Download and install Ccleaner, direct link, http://download.piriform.com/ccsetup414.exe

Run Ccleaner with all browsers Closed.

Open Firefox and log back into nicoclub. If you still have adverts then you have malware/adware on your computer OR you didn't follow my steps.

If you still have pop ups download and run the 2 programs I linked to earlier in this thread.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

WDRacing wrote:Not sure what you guys are doing, or need to do, that Chrome fails at. I don't have any problems with "stuff being let in" at all. Enable an adblocker...done. Never had a single problem after doing that.

I don't like FF. AT ALL. I used to use FF all the time, for years. Then I tried Chrome and found it to do everything I wanted and like you mentioned, it syncs everything. I really like that feature. IE is just full of suck. There are other options, but none of them do what Chrome does.
All of this.

I'm a very happy Chromium user and I don't have issues with anything "being let in."

I used to be a die-hard FF advocate but I just can't stand their UX anymore. Only Opera and Chrome/Chromium have interfaces that don't make me want to throw things. Come on FF, separate address and search bars, STILL?! It's 2014. Omnibar yo.

12rogue

Thanks for the help guys I finally got it cleaned up on firefox. I was only running adblock plus and didn't have the pop up addon installed.

The site now looks like it used to and has returned to 100% functional just the way it used to be.

WDRacing

Good news!

OriginalWheelman
Car: '15 Ford Focus Electric

WDRacing wrote:Good news!
Is it the Dacia Sandero?

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Chrome + Ad Block Plus. No hangs, no issues, no fuss, no ads, no nothing. If you're having issues with that combo, it's NOT the browser.

Return to “General Chat”