Horrible Fuel Economy

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
pbrady12
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa SL Hatchback

I have spent countless hours on the phone and at the dealership. I have tried different types of fuel from different gas stations. I have tried every driving style on every terrain. I have had nissan run every test that can on the car. My 07 Nissan versa SL hatchback with CVT transmission gets between 16 and 24mpg. Far from the 30-36mpg on the sticker when I bought it. I started asking nissan about the issue at 2000 miles. I now have 17,000 miles on my versa. all I can get from nissan is...untill the computer decides there is something wrong, there is nothing wrong. it amazes me that the same computer detected a bad fuel cap. anyone else have this fuel economy issue?

Shad0wXCalibur
Car: Nissan Versa SL Sedan

It seems like Versas have some major inconsistency in gas mileage... Couldn't tell you how to fix it.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

Wasn't it a faulty fuel regulator or pump that contributed to bad mpg?

WaVersa
Car: Versa SL 08 , CVT , Tech package

I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a horrible fuel economy.My dealer has never done any test on my car... but they admit that some other clients have the same problem and of course they blame that on the driving habit...

I own a 2008 hatch SL with CVT and tech package.

Summer fuel economy = 10l/100km = 23.52 mpg USWinter ( like now) = 12.5 l/100 km = 18.52 mgp US

My lifetime best fuel economy with my damn Versa is 8.7l/ 100 km = 27.03mpg US

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I get between 27 and 33 all the time. I have the CVT and don't rev above 3000rpm except if I really need to get up to speed quick on the highway...then it might go up to 4000rpm for a short time.

frankoV
Car: 2008 SL Sedan, Magnetic Grey, CVT

WaVersa wrote:

Summer fuel economy = 10l/100km = 23.52 mpg USWinter ( like now) = 12.5 l/100 km = 18.52 mgp US

Ouch! Must be the Quebec air!

This winter I was in the 10-11 range [Dec until now], and in warmer weather 7-8 [better when more highway miles, of course].

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Have they tried disconnecting the battery and then resetting the computer? There were a couple of threads here at one time (I think one of them had to do with someone installing a new filter) that indicated on some cars the computer was picking up incorrect air flow to the engine. When the computer was reset the gas mileage went up at least a couple of miles per gallon.

Keep hounding the dealer until they make it right. They'll try to stall you until the warranty runs out.

The U.S. national average for the 2007 with CVT is still running about 28 mpg. Your mileage shouldn't be that low. My 2007 with CVT is right at 28 after 21,000 miles. I'm not happy with it because I, too, had a 30/36 sticker on it but you must be absolutely livid.

I guess you could let the dealer know you're willing to talk to the local media about the dealer's inability to solve the problem and instead they're blaming you. Nobody needs that kind of negative press, especially with car sales where they are these days. Does your local paper or t.v. have a car section? Try for help and advice there.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

WaVersa wrote:I am glad to see that I am not the only one with a horrible fuel economy.My dealer has never done any test on my car... but they admit that some other clients have the same problem and of course they blame that on the driving habit...

Really odd...considering that I get better numbers with my V6 altima...

Walk me through a typical day of driving - with times. How do you warm up the car? How high do you take the RPMs? How long do you drive? How fast..etc?

greggie195
Car: 09 Versa SL

I routinely get between 27-32 mostly highway driving (about 70%). Seems like consistency is a problem with these cars.

VersaMG08
Car: '10 Mazda 3 s hatchback
'14 Nissan 370z

if we get enough people to bring this to Nissan, they might have a press release with a recall regarding an issue with the fuel economy on the Versa, and they could have it resolved through the dealer

Bubs daddy
Car: 2007 Versa SL
ABS, CVT

Interesting. I get at LEAST 32 mpg now on every fill up. That's combined city/highway. On just the highway it's 34.

Fuel mileage is affected by many things including driving habits, wind, driving speed, grade and condition of the road, various fuel blends, temperature and weather, number of starts and stops, idling time, modifications done to the car, altitude, tire air pressure, constant speed or intermittant speed changes.

I'd say one of the biggest factors is driver habits. I feather the pedal from stops and lights. As someone else stated, I keep the RPM's under 3000 unless necessary.

Nissan derives the mileage numbers from the EPA, a federal agency.

WaVersa

Ouch! Must be the Quebec air!

This winter I was in the 10-11 range [Dec until now], and in warmer weather 7-8 [better when more highway miles, of course].

good thought ... but my house is less than 5 minutes driving to downtown Ottawa... I guess my Versa is breathing some of your good air.

WaVersa

Really odd...considering that I get better numbers with my V6 altima...

Walk me through a typical day of driving - with times. 1-How do you warm up the car? 2-How high do you take the RPMs?3- How long do you drive?4- How fast..etc?

1-In winter time i warm up my car 3-4 minutes with my remote car starer2- My RPM is at 98.5% of the time under 20003-I driving 10-12 minutes to go to work , about 5-6 km4-driving city , so around 50km/hI think this is what my Versa do not like, Almost only city driving, and I have 7 stop to do in a 5-6 km drive ( no light) . Presently I have 8400 km on my car.

But on the other hand, my previous car was a 2000 corolla with 1.8l engine and 4 speed auto transmission. Same travel... and I was doing around 8 /100km in summer. On paper my Versa should be more economic...And this is why I bought the Versa. My biggest problem is... I have been sold a +/- 30 mpg Us car.... and i am 7 mpg US under that..

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Hmm...

1 - Don't warm your car up for 4 min - you are wasting gas by doing so. 1.5-2 min max.

Your commute is certianly not helping...that's a big factor in your car being held extremely low in mpg's.

Your car is also still in it's breakin period - from what I've read on this forum, generally people are seeing lower gas mileage up until 10000 to 15000km.

What kind of oil are you using? How many times have you changed it so far?

1_Sleek_Versa
Car: 08 Nissan versa SL

Hello WaVersa,

I have a 2008 Versa SL fully loaded too. Bought the car last June. The car had beyond horrible gas mileage. I'm talking 13-14 L / 100 km. I was pissed off at the car.

Since my second oil change at 11000km, I do not have the same car. I can't explain why this happened but after my second oil change things have changed.

I am now averaging 7.5L-8.5L / 100km on winter tires and now I love my car.

By the way, did you have problems starting your Versa below -25C in january? Mine was a pain in the a** even with the block heater. I ended up using my beat up Z24 with a 6 year old battery to go to work. LOL

tama48

My 2007 SL versa Hatch always from day one had TERRIBLE gas mileage. Nissan outright lied on the sticker when I bought it It never has got close to 30/36 mpg. Later (after I bought it) Nissan readjusted those figures. I say False Advertising. I bought it under false pretenses. Never again.

tama48

Can you say RIP OFF!

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Quote »Nissan outright lied on the sticker when I bought it It never has got close to 30/36 mpg. Later (after I bought it) Nissan readjusted those figures. I say False Advertising. I bought it under false pretenses. Never again.[/quote]No they didn't.

Nissan doesn't set those numbers. The EPA does.

pbrady12

I have gone above and beyond every day driving with this car. With my versa I have tried everything. I drove not exceeding 2000 rpm. I drove on a flat strait highway with no wind at 60mph with no AC. I even went to the extreme of pushing it to the floor every time I accelerated. I also turned off the overdrive for a few tanks. I have never gotten better than 26 mpg. And I only got that for one tank followed by 21 mpg. I'm pretty sure the tank wasn't filled up all the way that tank. I don't want to change anything on the car in fear of voiding the warranty. I know I could get a K&N air filter and improve the fuel economy. I want to get at least 28mpg with the stock car I have. What is frustrating to me is that I have a 1990 toyota corolla with a 3 speed automatic transmission that gets 35mpg on the highway. thats 70+mph with no overdrive. I'm sure nissan vehicles are great vehicles, but the customer service in getting my issue resolved has turned me against the company. I will never own another nissan again. I am a jet engine mechanic and know a lot about car engines as well. I think I might try disconnecting the car battery. who knows maybe it will reset something.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

tama48 wrote:My 2007 SL versa Hatch always from day one had TERRIBLE gas mileage. Nissan outright lied on the sticker when I bought it It never has got close to 30/36 mpg. Later (after I bought it) Nissan readjusted those figures. I say False Advertising. I bought it under false pretenses. Never again.
Please do just a little research. And by research, I mean go to Google and search EPA fuel economy. Amazing what you can learn on the internet.

Manufacturers are not allowed to 'set' their fuel economy rating because of the 'horrible injustice' you speak of - false advertising. What would keep a company from claiming 90 MPG with an asterisked *while coasting caveat?

All cars received adjusted ratings in 2008 when the EPA changed their antiquated testing procedures. Almost every car in production saw a slight bump downward in economy.

That doesn't excuse the fact that your car isn't achieving its EPA rating, but there are many of us here that exceed said rating, so I doubt Nissan will give a hoot. Also, I'm not sure what constitutes "terrible" mileage to you, but understand that even the individual 'city' and 'highway' rating numbers have a margin of error on them, possibly as much as +/- 10%. So the city rating range is actually about 24-30 MPG. Most new car stickers will have this data posted, just FYI.
pbrady12 wrote:I wish it was as easy as driving habbits. I have tried everything. I even took the car on a strait flat stretch of highway. tried 60mph and 70mph. 200 miles each trip with no AC and no wind. The windows were up too. I tried driving without exceeding 2000rpm, and also drive with the overdrive off. consistantly 24mpg or less. I am a jet engine mechanic, and I know a lot about cars. There is something wrong with my car that is causeing this issue, and untill the car's computer figures it out I'm SOL.
Seriously, 4 posts in a row that are almost completely identical to your original post? Not get on forums too often? And are you a jet engine mechanic, or are you a jet engine mechanic? I'm not sure you mentioned that. I'm also not sure what that has to do with the subject at hand, since the jet-engine package isn't an option on the Versa until the 2010 refresh.

And yes, you're SOL getting 24 MPG. How can you ever make it from point A to point B when you're limited to 300 miles per tank?

Sorry to be so harsh, but when folks come on here and make identical posts, I get suspicious. You wouldn't happen to work for GM would you?

Bubs daddy
ABS, CVT

Quote »Sorry to be so harsh, but when folks come on here and make identical posts, I get suspicious. You wouldn't happen to work for GM would you?

[/quote]Indeed. I've suspected that as well.

pbrady12

This is my first time using a forum. I cleared out the duplicate posts. I was going down replying to different posts and didn't realize the replies were all posting as well. lesson learned. I mentioned being a jet engine mechanic to say that I'm not just someone that knows nothing about engines. Yes the combustion process in jet engines is completly different, but the component concept is the same. The components are just driven by internally splined gears instead of belts. I could go into detail about the similarities and differences between piston and turbine engines. they both take fuel and air to produce torque. http://science.howstuffworks.com/turbine3.htm

skyl4rk
Car: 2009 Versa Base, Sedan 1.6

Did the dealer replace the O2 sensor?

Do a search on Open Loop and Closed Loop.

Open Loop is similar in concept to choking the motor and it uses more gas. In Closed Loop mode the O2 sensor regulates fuel delivery and it uses much less gas. If your engine never leaves Closed Loop, it could get poor gas mileage.

IMHungry
Car: 2008 Versa SL H/B cvt, sport, tech (mine)/2007 Versa S H/B, VOP, 4 spd auto (hers)

I have consistently gotten 675 km per approx 45L fill up in warm weather and 590 km in the winter.

I couldn't be happier.

Rockhound
Car: 2007 Versa 1.8 SL HB CVT / 2008 Mazda3 GT

pbrady12 wrote:This is my first time using a forum. I cleared out the duplicate posts. I was going down replying to different posts and didn't realize the replies were all posting as well. lesson learned. I mentioned being a jet engine mechanic to say that I'm not just someone that knows nothing about engines.
My bad. your serial-posting came across as spam to me.

Hopefully you'll find a solution to improve your gas mileage.

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

I consistently get 36 mpg in the summer and usually between 32 and 34 mpg in the winter. When PA had that stint of supercold weather(for PA at least), into the negatives with windchill, I got 32. Last fillup I got 34 and I suspect it will be back at the average of 36 once temperatures rise into the 60's.

Currently, after 1 year of ownership, I have an average of 34 mpg. My lowest was 20 something mpg. I contribute that to a hasty fillup that did not get the usual amount of gas into the tank. When coupled with a later "full" fill-up it resulted in a false low mpg reading. I say false because the next fill up was normal.

My peak mpg was 38 mpg on a highway trip.

The reason for my relatively high mpg? I believe it has a lot to do with my driving habits. I accelerate smoothly, coast to a stop, use cruise control at any opportunity, follow the speed limit and keep my RPM's low. My Versa has never seen over 3000 rpm's since my break in.

WaVersa

1_Sleek_Versa wrote:Hello WaVersa,

I have a 2008 Versa SL fully loaded too. Bought the car last June. The car had beyond horrible gas mileage. I'm talking 13-14 L / 100 km. I was pissed off at the car.

Since my second oil change at 11000km, I do not have the same car. I can't explain why this happened but after my second oil change things have changed.

I am now averaging 7.5L-8.5L / 100km on winter tires and now I love my car.

By the way, did you have problems starting your Versa below -25C in january? Mine was a pain in the a** even with the block heater. I ended up using my beat up Z24 with a 6 year old battery to go to work. LOL
Hey 1_Sleek_Versa,

I have done only one oil change, presently I only 8400km on my Versa.Hopefully I will see a difference after my second oil change.

Regarding the starting problem at -25, No but yes , My versa did not start with my remote car starter but hardly start manually.

pbrady12

I really wish that driving habbits were the cause of my poor fuel economy. That would be something in my control. I have spent several tanks of gas not exceeding 2000rpm and even a few not exceeding 1500rpm. No matter how I drive, wether highway or city, I can never acheve more than 24mpg. There is something wrong with my car that no one at the dealerships around here can figure out. I posted this hoping someone had the same issue as me and had a fix for it. From what I can tell I either have a bad engine or a component that is causing extreme resistance on the engine. I know the Versa is a good vehicle, but mine has an issue that has no solution.

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

Have you had the computer reset? The issue is still out there about some Versas misreading air intake. You haven't indicated that you've tried that yet.

tama48

I don't give a hoot about who set the EPA numbers. Nissan, the man in the moon or the EPA. Here are the facts:

When I researched the car I saw one set of estimated mpg numbers POSTED on the car window.

I buy the car with that being the MAJOR reason ( miles per gallon). It has never come close to the original numbers on the sticker (I still have the sticker). Then Whoever changed those numbers (doesn't matter to me) after I bought the car. Here's the deal:

Had I known the true numbers of the MPG BEFORE I bought the car I wouldn't have.

Like I said never again. But thanks for all the clearification as to who sets the estimated mpg numbers.

Return to “Versa General Chat”