Help a non 350Z owner with a quick question!!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
Justin428

Hey guys/gals!!

I need your help. My dad has a 2006 350Z roadster and man, we are having hellish problems with the rubbery interior bits being scratched away. I'm sure you're familiar with this but my question is, is this mostly a 2006 Z issue or does it affect other years?

We need to get this fixed and the dealer has already replaced some parts once, only to have it happen again. Dad doesnt want to to use Nissan parts again, understandably, because this same issue will continue to happen. That is, unless this doesnt affect other years then I can use those parts.

Thanks guys. ps- Z's run in our family, have had 3. Long live the Z! ;)

catnipple
Car: 2007 z33
1990 s13 hatch (ls1 swap in progress)
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

I'm not too sure how that much damage happens. I have a 2007 and the paint on some of the interior panels does seem kinda cheap, and prone to scratches. The main place that is has happened to me is on the inside door handle from opening the door with keys in my hand (yours too as seen in the picture?). Anyhow, there should be some interior trim kits out there that may help you, n if that doesn't suit your taste n there's no way you'll use Nissan parts again, try wrapping the trouble areas in vinyl for a temporary fix. Either that or if your willing to give it a shot you can try removing the parts n painting them yourself with a good quality paint. Another place that I have noticed this weaker kinda paint is on the exterior door handles. My passenger side door handles paint is bubbling up in a few places. You can check out thezstore.com they have a lot of cool parts for z cars of all years including these cool carbon fiber exterior door handle covers I plan on purchasing in the near future..

Welcome to nico!

catnipple
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

Here's a link.

interior-exterior-carbon-fiber-wrap-t560213.html

I know it's not a 350z, but it's what I'd recomend if you are against Nissan parts and don't want to paint.. From what I hear, all z33 have this scratch prone paint on the painted interior surfaces. So vinyl would be a good alternative to spending money on parts that in your case keep getting that scratched up.

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

Pfft, I'd plastidip that ish.

Justin428

I've considered plasti dip. But father wants to preserve the factory look of the car.

I don't know what to do. The car is in my possession for the next month so eventually I'll have to figure this out. Basically I'm the car guy and they are wanting me to find a solution to this mess and fix it.

Maybe I'll stop by an I interior shop and take suggestions.

catnipple
1997 dodge 1500
2004 dodge 3500

Ace2cool wrote:Pfft, I'd plastidip that ish.

+1 :yesnod

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Another option, if you can find someone that can do it, might be low temp powder coating. I've considered this for my door handles, they look metal but, as Soup can attest to, they're just plastic. Not sure how high a temp the interior pieces could stand up to though, low temp pc or no.

Or Soup is actually the Man of Steel, I think he's broken them twice.

dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

BusyBadger wrote: Or Soup is actually the Man of Steel, I think he's broken them twice.
About to the be 3rd too.. :facepalm:

Passenger door finally caught up to the first driver side door handle.

If you really want to help preserve the oem look of the Z without dipping them, you guys can try ordering wrap sheets from decalfx or elsewhere.

The previous owner of my car installed plastic overlays on every piece in the cabin that was prone to the old scratch marks. Not really my sort of thing but the car was too big of a deal to pass up. It was fine till about year #3 when the center console started to warp in the sun. I'm in the process of replacing my entire center console with an oem piece.

harrissteven22
Car: 2007 Nissan 350Z

Justin428 wrote:I've considered plasti dip. But father wants to preserve the factory look of the car.

I don't know what to do. The car is in my possession for the next month so eventually I'll have to figure this out. Basically I'm the car guy and they are wanting me to find a solution to this mess and fix it.

Maybe I'll stop by an I interior shop and take suggestions.
With plastidip, if you do it right, it will still keep the stock look. But it is a more durable paint than what is on there stock. I am in Afghanistan right now, but I do plan of removing the pieces and plasti dipping them when I get back.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”