Hehe, guess what I'm doing!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Death by Mullet
Car: 94 Q45

$300, YOU SHOULD GET IT AND LET ME KNOW IF IT'S ANY GOOD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting

MULLET

PoorManQ45

Nah, right now I'm getting two of these:http://www.onlinecarstereo.com...13951

and two of these:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe...0-794

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Death by Mullet wrote:$300, YOU SHOULD GET IT AND LET ME KNOW IF IT'S ANY GOOD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting

MULLET
Pyle=pyle of s***

PoorManQ45

Pyle isn't that bad, they just like to exagerate things.

The resolution on it is a little low though

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

PoorManQ45 wrote:and two of these:http://www.partsexpress.com/pe...0-794
Unless I am mistaken, aren't these 120/230 Volt units? How do you plan to run them inside the car?

Z

PoorManQ45

Not going to

Those are going in the house in 9ft^3 each

szh

PoorManQ45 wrote:Not going to

Those are going in the house in 9ft^3 each
Oh.

I thought this was a car trunk subwoofer project ...

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

szhosain wrote:
Oh.

I thought this was a car trunk subwoofer project ...

Z
PMQ is very scattered.

PoorManQ45

^^^^ 100% correct

I have no less then 4 projects going right now. Two of them are new completion, the other two are only half way done. Unfortunately the Q box is only half way done

It's been raining here every day. So I can't really fiberglass, and there's no way in hell I'm doing it in the garage.

PoorManQ45

Update... The baffle(front) is on. All I have left to do is add a bit of fiberglass to it and then bondo and paint it and it'll be good to go.

Note, I plan on painting it first to see how that comes out. I going to try to get it to look like an automotive finish, probably black. Whould any of you be interested in that or would you rather it be carpeted?

Also, question for you guys that are interested. Do you want the entire thing completely finished(meaning carpeted/painted), or would you mind if I just smoothed it(bondo) and primered it?

This is the first step. I used two layers of masking tape.Here's another picture of it.Partially glassed.This is a picture of the corner that I cut out later on. I found that if I left it this way I would not be able to seperate the mold from the reproduction.This is a picture of the 1x2s that I used to mount the wood speaker ring to. They are different heights so as to angle the driver slightly up and towards the cabin.The fleece is on and resined.This one best shows the overall form of the baffle(front). Note the white stuff is just fiberglass dust.

Well, I'm off to 'glass some more.

Sorry it has taken so long. School and parents are taking up most of my time.

PoorManQ45

Update: Bondo is done. Three coats of primer on on and sanded. I may put on one more layer of primer before I paint it.

JT_MONEY_2004
Car: 1990 Q45, Pearl

That's what's up...you've found a niche my man, i bet you'll sell a bunch o'em '.'!Soon as i find $40 for JW's strut bar, i'll have to try find whatever you're gonna charge for yours.

Last Q i had i replaced the factory sound w/ Polk Audio stuff and even kept the 10" sub for a yr, but never added it because i couldn't afford to loose trunk space

Your fabrication looks ideal. I certainly would NOT mind a flat black finish.

Having Bose' rebuilt as we speak.

PoorManQ45

Ah, it's good to know that atleast one person is still showing interest.

It's not going to be finished in mat black. WEll actually, you tell me how you want it finished.

I just painted the front with what I thought was gloss black spray paint. It turned out that it was black gloss with metal flake, kind of like the paint boats are finished with.

WEll I'm going to sand the paint and then try for a finish coat of it and then I'll clear coat it. Hopefully it turns out awesome.

takklz
Car: 1993 BMW 318i

nice looking work pmq!

PoorManQ45

update. I put the enclosure in the Q45 and installed a sub that I had lying around. I didn't actually hook it up as I was just seeing how it looks.

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Very hot. I'm curious as to how good it would sound...

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

HOTNESS PMQ!!!!! so golden.. !

JT_MONEY_2004
Car: 1990 Q45, Pearl

Thatz a good,no, great first. How do you plan to do the others? Are you gonna make some kind of mold of this one and duplicate or will you re-do the entire process over and over...

The second option sounds like much more work, but you'll be able to master the contouring a little better.

Howz it going to be secured to the car?

Keep it up PMQ !

PoorManQ45

JT_MONEY_2004 wrote:Thatz a good,no, great first. How do you plan to do the others? Are you gonna make some kind of mold of this one and duplicate or will you re-do the entire process over and over...
That is my mold I still have to copy it before I can deliver the first one.

Of course the first one took the longest. the next one shouldn't take more then a week if I can keep my ADD under control
JT_MONEY_2004 wrote:Howz it going to be secured to the car?
Heheh, I'm just so damn good that it holds itself inplace . Seriously though, it doesn't move when you push it into place. I'm thinking that just to make sure I'll add some carpet pieces to each side to increased friction to hold it.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

JT, my guess is it will tend to stay in there.. if not, im sure we could rig up some zipties or something to keep it in there.....

As for me, i have a nitrous bottle that will prevent it from going anywhere.

PoorManQ45

elwesso wrote:JT, my guess is it will tend to stay in there.. if not, im sure we could rig up some zipties or something to keep it in there.....
You know me too well wes

Seriously though, if there's a problem with it moving I'll clue pieces of carpet on the side to hold it in. That way it wedges in there.

Note: I'll be putting the terminals on the side where the access to the jack stand location is. This will allow you to make a very clean install with no wires showing

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

mmmm... I cant wait!

szh

Hmmm, don't you need to seal the subwoofer into its "cabinet"? Did you make the enclosure so that it is sealed and then just "sits" in the side of the trunk?

Z

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

need to make one for the other side as well, for the true audio enthusiast, 1 sub cant recreate the stereo effect.........BTW looks great, i know that stuff isnt easy.

Rex
Car: None

JT_MONEY_2004 wrote:... Howz it going to be secured to the car?
The technical term is "tensionmount", more commonly known as push it in until it stays .

I think the "enclosure" will utilize some of the jack storage opening as a "notch". Though in the end if need be, you could just apply a bunch of velcro to the back of it.

It's going to be interesting to see how it turns out in the end, and how many people will actually pony up the $$$ for one.

Rex
Car: None

CrimsonQ wrote:need to make one for the other side as well, for the true audio enthusiast, 1 sub cant recreate the stereo effect.........BTW looks great, i know that stuff isnt easy.
I'm afraid to say, I think PMQ is gonna have a field day with that comment .

PoorManQ45

CrimsonQ wrote:need to make one for the other side as well, for the true audio enthusiast, 1 sub cant recreate the stereo effect.........
Rex wrote:I'm afraid to say, I think PMQ is gonna have a field day with that comment .
Hehe, should nail him rex?

I'll take it easy on you sinse this is your first offense.

Basically none of the music that you normally listen to contains stereo bass below ~100hz. It is electronically summed in the monitoring studio.

For that RARE cd that does have stereo info throughout the entire frequency range(usually full ochestra cds) it would not make a difference to have two subs as bass is omnidirectional. From inside the cabin you would/should not be able to tell where the bass is coming from. The only way you'd actually be able to tell a difference is if you were to open the trunk and put your head directly between the two woofers so that you could actually feel the air movement produced by the two drivers.

So basically, in the audio world you won't notice a musical difference between stereo and mono subs.

Now, the home environment is a different story as alot of movies contain full range signals on all channels, meaning no electrical summation. In this environment you will be able to tell a difference as the subs are usually over 15ft apart and even though that bass is omnidirectional your body can still feel the pressure differential between one side and the other. SO basically, your ears would be able to hear where it's coming from, but your body would be able to feel where it's coming from.

So, as you can tell stereo subs in a car are so close together that your body won't be able to tell a difference, if there even is one.

Side note: Do you just want two of them? If that's the case then just say so
CrimsonQ wrote:BTW looks great, i know that stuff isnt easy.
Thanks. This one took me so long because it was my first fully fiberglass enclosure and I was pretty much flying blind. SO naturally I made a few mistakes
szhosain wrote:Hmmm, don't you need to seal the subwoofer into its "cabinet"? Did you make the enclosure so that it is sealed and then just "sits" in the side of the trunk?

Z
Yep, it's molded into the trunk. Like I said before, to make sure it stays put I'll either put some carpet or velcro patches on the sides.
elwesso wrote:mmmm... I cant wait!
Unfortunately you have to wait . I wasn't able to get this one copied. So I won't be able to deliver it tomorrow like I had said was a possibility. So, progress is stopping for atleast two weeks while I go on vacation. Or hey, I could bring it with and work on it

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

PoorManQ45 wrote:
Unfortunately you have to wait . I wasn't able to get this one copied. So I won't be able to deliver it tomorrow like I had said was a possibility. So, progress is stopping for atleast two weeks while I go on vacation. Or hey, I could bring it with and work on it
No problem... I have enough projects going as it is

I have to agree with PMQ, I had my sub on the drivers side of the car and it worked fine, i couldnt tell it was only on the left side.....

nchopp
Car: 2007 BMW M6
2002 Infiniti Q45
2005 Infiniti QX56

Film\Video Producer and Mobile DJ here - PMQ's spot-on on all his statements. Excluding, of course, CDs of indie bands, etc. that did their recording in a garage. :-)

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

ok i meant 2 subs for better power, it just sounds better to me, i also shoot slightly for spl levels as well, and 1 cant acheive ****e

of course i really dont know much bout that stuff, just from my ears experience LOL.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”