Headlamp Replacement

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
TCM29
Car: 2017 Nissan Murano Platinum

I have a 2017 Murano Platinum, fully loaded. The RF (passenger side) low beam headlamp is not working, and I was told by a local body shop the bulb is not readily accessible and will require a replacement of the entire assembly. He did note the inside of the lamp was full of moisture likely caused by a bad seal. (The other side is OK) Please confirm if this is true, and how do I go about getting this resolved. I see lots of aftermarket headlamp assemblies for sale in the $500-$700 range, so they must be frequently replaced. Any help is appreciated- Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you have the LED lamps, then yes, the whole assembly has to be replaced. They did make a "standard" version of the same lamps and replacing both sides with TYC or other aftermarket halogens is a lower-cost option, but your IPDM and possibly BCM would have to be reconfigured by a dealer after installation to prevent "headlight system" warnings. That can also be "dummy wired" on most Nissans by adding a relay, I can get you details if you need to go that route.

Moisture intrusion is an industry-wide issue with LED headlights, not just Nissan. While LED's produce great light with a fraction of the power used by halogens, they also don't produce enough heat to chase water vapor out of the headlight housing. Nissan and other OEM's suggest turning the high-beams on for a few hours when moisture inside a lens is noticeable, but many people don't use high beams much and simply don't notice till it's too late. Sealing the housings like a taillamp is not a practical option, because the other lamps are still conventional and expansion from heated air could split the housing open. To date there's no good engineering answer for that.

TCM29

Thanks so much for the informative comment. Is changing the assembly a major task? Does the front bumper have to be removed or can it be removed separately? I see on the part illustration there is a single bracket, but likely has tabs that go into the front end. Thanks again!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. The bumper cover definitely has to come loose, but doesn't need to come all the way off unless you're changing both sides. To access the mounting screws with the cover on but pulled away, a 10mm swivel with an 8~12" extension will make life a lot easier.

TCM29

That's great information. Now I know what to do; thanks again!

Malbec 56 Beast
Car: 2013 Infiniti M66xS Totaled 4/11/20
What's next???
2010 Subaru Legacy
1983 Porsche 928 S Euro (Sold) 2/17/20

I went from a 13 M56xS with upgraded xenon bills, from stock, and then purchased a 2017.5 Murano SL and it has the halogen bulbs. Talk about a legal day to night, instead of night and day. I was wanting to do an led bulb upgrade. Had anyone done this if yes what brand and how well did they work.

Thanks
Andy

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Before you replace anything, see this post:

topic628117.html

Altimas are infamous for "oxide blindness", but it can and does happen to any lamp with plastic reflectors. Try cleaning the focusers, you'll be amazed at the difference.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

PS- You don't need a special cleaning brush, in a pinch I've used a zip tie to attach a lint-free paper towel to the handle of an ice cream spoon. Talk about a Q-tip from Wally World, but it worked just fine. :rotfl ;)

Return to “Murano Forum”