Head Sawp

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
glacier985
Car: 72 240z
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

Today I started swaping my SOHC head to a 93 DOHC head. After Smug510 got his running I decided to give it a try myself since I have a whole DE just sitting in my shed. So far I haven't ran into any problems. I have the head sitting on the block right now, just waiting to go buy some parts tomorrow, so i can reassamble the the front timing cover and get it ready. I still need to get a lot of parts before I try and start it. If all goes accordding to plans it might be running in the next two weeks or so. I have some pictures tomorrow if you guys want some. I might also do a little write up as well.

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

Sweet. Do post up pictures please... and write up :)

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

heres some quick pics I took of my progress today.

deviousKA
Car: 90 240sx NA /72 Datsun 510 NA /86 corolla GTS NA

Hey man this is slick, i cant wait to hear further progress. How do you plan to extend your lower cover to fit the de cover? You plan on running a de or e distributor? looks like some nice work so far. Keep it up! :)

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

deviousKA wrote:Hey man this is slick, i cant wait to hear further progress. How do you plan to extend your lower cover to fit the de cover? You plan on running a de or e distributor? looks like some nice work so far. Keep it up! :)

I'm going to have to make a plate so the DE cover will work, or i might try to get the DE timing cover on it. And right now I don't know which distributor I am going to use, it all comes down to which timing cover i use.

deviousKA

arent you going to have a oil pump issue with using the de cover? the sohc block passages require the sohc oil pump and cover, pretty sure.

I would stick with the sohc timing cover setup. You have to modify the top, but you have more oil pump options if you wanted to go higher pressure or volume.

the altima de upper chain cover is much much closer to the sohc lower. If you could fit this cover on the 240sx head (along with the altima upper dual gear) it would make things much easier. Im not sure if this is possible, if it is you would also have a slight valve cover fitment issue but nothing impossible.

24_4life

I am rebuilding my 91' de and I will be using a set of new kae pistons. I have everything apart and the difference is realy noticable for the pistons. The ka24e pistons almost look like flat top pistons next to my stock pistons. I also have an extra set of 91 cams so I am going to run the dual exaust cams when I put it back togeather. I was just looking for a couple of suggetions though. I bought a performance oil pump but I am thinking twice about running it. How much power will I be giving up by installing it? Would it be worth it?(I am looking to autocross it) I was also wondering if there was anything else I should pick up as far as internals go while I have the motor apart? I am on a budget so I am trying to just hit on the essentials as far as performace goes. I am porting and polishing the intake manifold and the head while I have it apart and I am also sending out the crank, pistons, rods and flywheel to have it all balanced. Am I missing anything here or am I in good shape? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

deviousKA wrote:arent you going to have a oil pump issue with using the de cover? the sohc block passages require the sohc oil pump and cover, pretty sure.

I would stick with the sohc timing cover setup. You have to modify the top, but you have more oil pump options if you wanted to go higher pressure or volume.

the altima de upper chain cover is much much closer to the sohc lower. If you could fit this cover on the 240sx head (along with the altima upper dual gear) it would make things much easier. Im not sure if this is possible, if it is you would also have a slight valve cover fitment issue but nothing impossible.
I haven't really checked over all the parts, but I did notice what you are talking about. I guess I'll be using the sohc timing cover and if I could get a hold of the altima front cover I would try it. But first, since I have an altima sitting in my driveway I might compare the two covers. As of now I'm just taking it step by step, and I think the heads gonna get machined sometime next week.

S13ChucKAT
Car: asd

Wow, so the DOHC head does bolt over to the SOHC ka...

Im going to bookmark this site to shush everyone up who keeps arguing that.

keep us up to date.. id love to see how to complete this.. (just bought a S13 myself, and dont want to go SR.. why decrease displacement..)

deviousKA

24_4life wrote:I am rebuilding my 91' de and I will be using a set of new kae pistons. I have everything apart and the difference is realy noticable for the pistons. The ka24e pistons almost look like flat top pistons next to my stock pistons. I also have an extra set of 91 cams so I am going to run the dual exaust cams when I put it back togeather. I was just looking for a couple of suggetions though. I bought a performance oil pump but I am thinking twice about running it. How much power will I be giving up by installing it? Would it be worth it?(I am looking to autocross it) I was also wondering if there was anything else I should pick up as far as internals go while I have the motor apart? I am on a budget so I am trying to just hit on the essentials as far as performace goes. I am porting and polishing the intake manifold and the head while I have it apart and I am also sending out the crank, pistons, rods and flywheel to have it all balanced. Am I missing anything here or am I in good shape? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Is it the toga oil pump? I doubt this will hamper much performance, you should run it, its a good upgrade. The pistons are an overbore size? If so, sounds like you have a pretty good and complete plan.

glacier985-

The altima cover wont work away from an altima block. Water pump is semi-external so passages will not line up. It also uses same style oil pump as rwd de. Your only option for that block, is the sohc rwd timing cover. You dont have to run the sohc distributor btw.

The 240sx de cover is quite a ways off, one thought i had was milling the top of the sohc cover way down (the top deck portion of the cover). This would allow you to build a flat adapter/extender plate, with countersunk screws bolting to lower cover, and tapped holes for the 240sx de front cover. I dont know if this will provide enough clearance for de distributor drive.

It can be done, but a truck/altima de front cover is much closer and easier to work with.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

Well I got the head back today, picked up the gasket and the bolts should get here tomorrow. I have some more pictures tomorrow night, of the head on and a couple modifications I had to do.

crzycav86
Car: 93 240sx KAT

dyno dyno!

69Muscle

I know some guy that runs a 5.4l Lincon navagator engine in his Mustang. HAd to cut the front cover of the 5.4l and weld it to his DOHC 4.6l mustang engine to cover the heads.

Just a thought, shouldn't be that hard to cut the two and mate them. All u need off the SOHC cover is the housing for the oil pump and dist, anything above that you should be able to cut and make custom.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

69Muscle wrote:I know some guy that runs a 5.4l Lincon navagator engine in his Mustang. HAd to cut the front cover of the 5.4l and weld it to his DOHC 4.6l mustang engine to cover the heads.

Just a thought, shouldn't be that hard to cut the two and mate them. All u need off the SOHC cover is the housing for the oil pump and dist, anything above that you should be able to cut and make custom.

I might do that later, but for now I'm just going to make a plate to mate them together.

nismojunkie

i want to try this, can you do a write up when you get done

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

nismojunkie wrote:i want to try this, can you do a write up when you get done

I'm going to try and do a write up, but I'm not promising anything. I will be open to questions after I get it done and running.

nismojunkie

can we get an update or anythign on this?

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

nismojunkie wrote:can we get an update or anythign on this?

Very Soon, I haven't had a chance to work on it at all. Now that exams are over and I have next week off work, I might be able to get it all done. I'll try and snap som pictures of my progress tonight.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

A long awaited update is finally here, my friend and I spent 3 hours working on it yesterday and I have some pictures.

This is how it looked at the start of the day, head bolted on and timing chain on.

Then here is the plate I made to make the top timing cover meet the bottom timing cover.

And finally how she looks right now, pictures kind of blurry cause my camera was dieing by anyway.

Any questions, just ask and I'll try to answer them.

S13ChucKAT

Aweomse!!!... slap on some headers, and lets see what kinda hp were looking at.. thats so sweet.. im starting to think about keeping my SOHC block now, and swapping a DOHC head on

rhinoxs99

this rocks... What part did you have to use on all this. You have to tell us how it does in everyday driving and all the good stuff!

S13ChucKAT

yeah really.. can you make a "part list"

1- head2-intake manifold/throttle body, egr.. etc etc

deviousKA

Nice update, looks like its coming together nicely. Did you make your adapter plate out of thin sheet aluminum?

looks great btw, fresh and clean

S13ChucKAT

Any updates?..

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

S13ChucKAT wrote:Any updates?..

Yea, timing is off, so i am going back through and re-timing it tomorrow. I already checked the cams at TDC and I am 100% sure they are right, so now i just have to get the distributor in the right spot and the spark plug wires on the cap.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

deviousKA, I used 1mm sheet metal that I bought at lowes, it was 4 bucks for what I bought, i didnt seal it up well enough and its leaking on one side, so thats another thing i have to fix. And to answer the parts list, if i dont do a full write up, i will def. make a parts list for you guys.

glacier985
90 240sx
11 WRX Wagon
16 Rogue

She ran today, but not for long about 20 secs and then it died. I now have no spark at all and it will not start, but at least its timed correctly.

S13ChucKAT

woah dang!

sentranator
Car: cars and hockey

now with this swap could you put in aftermarket cams or would you not want to do this

S13ChucKAT

Yes. you can swap in new cams, it would be exactly like you owned a KA24DE

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”