Hakosuka resources?

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
Latka
Car: 2004 G35 Sedan, 1966 Austin Mini Cooper S, hopefully a Hakosuka soon

I've been drooling over the Hakosuka for about a year now. I was going to get a pre '74 Porsche 911 as my next "fun" car, but as I learned more about the Hakosuka it took the lead.

Does anyone know of any resources out there on the 'net for learning more? I think part of the problem I'm going to run into is that (I think) they were never sold outside of Japan. I've run across a few pages that give mention, but nothing really difinitive yet.

My only concern is wether or not I'll fit in the car. I've read that the 2000 GT and 2000 GT-X had reclining seats whereas the GT-R did not. That's not really a problem, 'cause I don't have the silly money it'd take to get a GT-R. I'd be happy with a 2 door or 4 door GT-X. Erm - back to the whole size thing. I'm 6'6" (198cm). If the car has a reclining seat I can usually make it work. I currently own a 1966 Austin Mini Cooper S, and I've had CRXs as well as our current G35 Sedan... so I do fit in cars, but some there's just no way - like early RX-7s and Z cars. From what I can tell though the Hakosuka has a bit of room in it. The Best Motoring video I have ("Fuji Fast") with Gan-san running the Hakosuka around Fuji - looks like there's quite a bit of headroom in there.

It's a cool enough car that I'd have to find a way to make it work.

Since the car would be coming with the L20 instead of the holy grail S20 I'd probably want to swap it for a bigger motor, like the L28 or something. Does anyone know if the mounting of those 2 engines is similar? My wild *** shot in the dark hopes so... not talkin about an RB26DETT here. I don't have the staff of Chop / Cut / Rebuild, Overhaulin, or American Hot Rod on retainer just yet. LOL - only simple changes for me.

I've gotta restore my '66 Cooper S before I can plunk down the money on getting a Hakosuka, so that means all this would happen at the end of 2006 at the earliest. Just tryin to edu-ma-cate myself on things before I take the plunge.

...and for a self-professed German car nut things will have officially gone wacky - one british car and 3 Nissans if we get the Hakosuka.

Then again, there are probably less than 20 minis out here on the Island and I'm 99.995% sure there are no Hakosukas.

-AndyKaneohe, Hawaii

diablo
Car: 2009 G37 Journey Premium

Hey Andy,

I've been checking out this site for quite a while now. They have already sold one of these to someone in the states, they claim that because the vehicle is over 25 years old it is considered a "vintage vehicle" so it can be sold to anyone in the US, it is a little pricey though!

http://www.monkys.jp/e/ucar/1972GTR.htm

Good Luck!

SonnyWaikiki, Hawaii

Latka

Yeah - I've seen that page as well. Very very nice car, but crazy pricing. The Takara Motors folks quote in another thread for 10-12K plus shipping for a GT / GT-X seems *much* more sane. As much as I'd like to have a GT-R, I'll "settle" for a GT-X! That way I can swap the engine for a bigger straight six and feel no guilt.

As for the 25+ year thing, they're right. I'm also in the Classic Mini community and that's a common topic. Guys trying to bring in newer Minis (they were made up to October 2000)... you can do it, but it's a big gamble on wether or not you'll get caught. I'd prefer to play by the rules and keep my car! No worries with the Hakosuka then, as 72 was just a few years past 25 ago.

Waikiki, eh? (waves)

I'm really excited about this. Now I've got to try to dig up more info. Just purchased a domain for it, and I'm going to try to start a Hakosuka registry once that' running (www.hakosuka.net) . Crazy? Yeah, but when I get excited about stuff I tend to get a lot done.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

I sincerely hope you get one, shouldn't be any problem to legalize.

In regards to fitting in it, remember that Gan-San is a TINY guy. I imagine he's probably like 5'7", judging from seeing him stand next to some of the other BMI drivers who's heights are often published as a JGTC stat (the Japanese love to do that, blood type too).

Latka

I'm only 5'18"

If I have to bolt a seat directly to the floor I'll do it!

I found a few Hakosuka people on CarDomain.com - been trying to message them. There are a couple in California. I'm hoping that I can get a ride in one of 'em sometime this year - I'd fly over to Cali to see some family and make a side trip to meet up with one of 'em if I could.

Looks like there was a Hakosuka wagon too. Not sure if it was the GL version or a GT / GTX. From what I've learned the GL had an inline 4, leaf springs, etc. Not exactly what we're lookin' for.

(edit) from what I saw the wagon (van) was the VC10 and carried the 4 banger. Cool, but not what I'm after.

Modified by Latka at 8:05 PM 7/18/2006

takaramotors
Car: Nissan Skyline PCG10 GTR

This is in our main office in japan Click for more pics zerothread?id=168739

Another teaser

Latka

You guys officially suck.

That's a really nice GT-R! I mean..I love the R32/33/34 cars, but man - the Hakosuka just has style.

Right now I'm in a debate with "high command" as to wether or not I can keep my Mini. I'd really like to keep it, but if I can only have one "play" car, it might have to go to make way for the friggin 3rd Nissan in our carport.

HashiriyaS14
Car: 95 S14, 08 CL9, 08 NPS50, 03 Ninja 250, '60 Super Cub

That $50k GT-R in the first pic is a deal, IMO (not that I have the funds for it).

For what it is, that's a good price.

I know that Garage Ishizaka sometimes charges six figures for their cars, but then again they're probably worth it.

Latka

I haven't been looking at Hakosukas long enough to know the price trends, but seeing as it was the rare and most desirable of the bunch - and at least from the photos looks to be in great condition... I agree with ya.

My goal is going to be to find a car with the nicest body I can. I really don't want to have to replace any body panels. The engine isn't a huge deal - we can always make that faster or swap it out for like an L28...but the panels...man, I shudder to think how expensive the stuff will be to replace.

I spent a lot of time on the Victory 50 website yesterday. Not reading Japanese really slows me down, but thankfully Google can translate enough of it so I can get the gist of what's going on. Those guys seem to be quite the shop. Lots of ways to spend money!

takaramotors
Car: Nissan Skyline PCG10 GTR

yeah if you want a GTX we can buy one and send it to by row row shipping method so no dents and scratches from a container

greenmonster80
Car: KGC10

I bought my KGC10 for $4500. That being said I have dropped $10,000 into replacing body panels and a complete body restore. I am 6 ft 2 in. Not quite 6 ft 6 in and I have plenty of room. I would never by a true GTR or even put GTR badging on mine. I like the fact that I took the L28 out. Which is an even swap out from the L20A. Built a KAKIMOTO spec 3.1 and it too dropps right in. Same tranny and will upgrade the rear end this winter. For a true enthusiasts who wants value then KPGC10 is the way to go. I like building my car to suit me and mine has more torque and horsepower than a S20 anyway..Feel free to e-mail me for specific questions and I am trying to move to Hawaii so there might be a Hakosuka there as early as next year...

Latka

Hi again GM80... e-mail on the way to 'ya.

Latka

takaramotors wrote:yeah if you want a GTX we can buy one and send it to by row row shipping method so no dents and scratches from a container
I'm definitely going to keep you guys in mind when it comes time to pop some money down.

"Row row"? Wouldn't a rowboat take too long? Hehehe... I may have misunderstood, but I always thought it was Ro/Ro for roll on / roll off. Just teasin' ya.

-Andy

akwikz
Car: 1973 Skyline

I may have been one of the people you e-mailed. I recieved a notice from car domain stating I had a message asking if I wanted to sell my car. I own the silver '71 2 door with the RB26 in it. Unfortunately I was not able to respond simply because I have not used that site in a long time and have forgotten how to get into my account. If it was in fact your e-mail, my apologies for not responding. Moving on, Eric (greenmonster80) is correct. You will end up spending a good deal of money on the car one way or another. If you have someone in Japan really looking hard, you could get a 2 door for less than $10k. It will need work though. And while panels are available, they are not cheap if you need a lot of them. My '71 was considerably more than Eric spent on his. All told it cost almost $15k after I picked it up from the port. But, the only panels I need to replace are the lower rockers under the doors. These are about $700 for the pair. The rest of my car is unusually clean. As for the space issue, a 4 door actually has more headroom. By about an inch I believe. I am 6', and have installed Sparco seats in my car. At 6'6" you will almost need to bolt the seats to the floor or seriously recline them. Either way is not too big a deal. Let me know if you have any specific questions regarding measurements. I can easily go out in the garage and take them.

Brian

Latka

Brian,

I actually e-mailed you a while ago after stumbling across your car on a forum, although I can't recall which one it was.

I'm going to try to get at least *something* up on the Hakosuka.net website this week. I figure I can get a rough shell up and fill things in as I go. Would love to have you as a participant as you have a car.

If all goes well I'll start looking for my Hakosuka in a few months. I hope to have one by the end of the year or early next year. I'd love to find a rust free car, but it sounds like that's going to be kinda expensive. I'll have to weigh the cost of say an average panel replacement against that of finding a car that's already "good to go".

Brian could you please e-mail me (again) : latka at hawaii dot rr dot com. I'm hoping to contact the owners I know of soon to let them know that hakosuka.net has gone "live".

(edit) as for the 2 door vs 4 door... I'm hoping to get a 4 door. That with the big round "works" flares on it and some wide RS Watanabe 8 spoke wheels. ...and a winning lottery ticket.

-Andy

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”