GT5 Trial Challenge

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
dasoupdude
Car: 2005 Z

GT PSP is keeping me occupied enough.

Thanks to the garage transferring, I'll be starting with a crapload of cars and credits on the first day

Yeah I don't care about the delays, even if it is launched near the next GTA release.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

This has proven to be yet another racing game with completely inadequate driver feedback. How am I supposed to drive a car when I can't tell what the car is doing? I can't feel the traction threshold of the tires, so I certainly can't get the most out of my car.

ProudNissanFreak
Car: 2005 Imaginary WRX STi, 2003 Civic

@ Dasoupdude

You can also transfer cars from GT:Prologue and credits too, I believe.

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

MinisterofDOOM wrote:This has proven to be yet another racing game with completely inadequate driver feedback. How am I supposed to drive a car when I can't tell what the car is doing? I can't feel the traction threshold of the tires, so I certainly can't get the most out of my car.
The force feedback in the new demo is MUCH better than than in Prologue. If you haven't placed the Time Trial Demo yet, I highly suggest it. It also has more of a feel like NFS:Shift in the sense that the tracks don't seem as smooth. You can feel and see the imperfections of the track.

dasoupdude

^ I think he was talking about the psp game

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

No, I'm talking about the time trial.

It doesn't matter how much better the force feedback is, because force feedback isn't the feedback I need. Great, the wheel pushes back. Still no inertia feedback. Still no tire feedback. Still no suspension feedback. Still no pedal feedback. Steering force feedback is not enough. If I can't feel what the car is doing, I can't make the car perform well.

Playing the stock Z with all assists off (which is how I drive in the real world) is almost impossible thanks to the lack of feedback. There's no throttle feel and no sense of traction. So it becomes a smoky affair in a hurry. It's impossible to judge the traction threshold. I don't need need (and don't have) TCS and ABS in my Q to keep the traction in check. I just feel it. The game cannot recreate that. So it's pointless.

takethewall

MinisterofDOOM wrote:No, I'm talking about the time trial.

It doesn't matter how much better the force feedback is, because force feedback isn't the feedback I need. Great, the wheel pushes back. Still no inertia feedback. Still no tire feedback. Still no suspension feedback. Still no pedal feedback. Steering force feedback is not enough. If I can't feel what the car is doing, I can't make the car perform well.

Playing the stock Z with all assists off (which is how I drive in the real world) is almost impossible thanks to the lack of feedback. There's no throttle feel and no sense of traction. So it becomes a smoky affair in a hurry. It's impossible to judge the traction threshold. I don't need need (and don't have) TCS and ABS in my Q to keep the traction in check. I just feel it. The game cannot recreate that. So it's pointless.
I have no problem with it.

There may not be the actual feel to some things, but you can tell what you car is doing based on visual clues. Overall, I think it works.

dasoupdude

I go by sound..

Speaking of the z time trial, I've been doing worse by seconds.

takethewall

I haven't played the Time Trial in a while. Are you using a wheel or controller?

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

MinisterofDOOM wrote:No, I'm talking about the time trial.

That's like saying you don't like FPS games because you can't feel the recoil of the gun, or be able to judge the wind effects on the trajectory, or hear bullets whizzing past you so you don't know exactly where they came from, and you can feel the bullets hit your body so you don't know if you're actually dead or not. Sure you can go to a firing range and get the real effects or go play paintball and really feel like you're in a combat situation. It's a video game, yeah it's touted to be The True Driving Simulator, but in the end it's just a video game for entertainment purposes.

ProudNissanFreak

Brief look at production car damage!

http://www.gtplanet.net/a-very...ments

Just skip to 50, when he takes off.

And an oldie for production car damage which you may not have seen:

http://www.gtplanet.net/all-ca...smo-5/

ProudNissanFreak

Release date speculation bump

http://www.gtplanet.net/sony-e...ments

takethewall

I was really hoping for a summer release. My grades will suffer fall quarter.

ProudNissanFreak

Haha yeah. It's not confirmed or anything, so hopefully we'll see it come out earlier. If not, oh well.

ProudNissanFreak

Sooo, IGN interviewed a Sony exec, and I was reading along, and...

"We've got GT5 coming later this year."

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Chaotic_Warlord wrote:That's like saying you don't like FPS games because you can't feel the recoil of the gun, or be able to judge the wind effects on the trajectory, or hear bullets whizzing past you so you don't know exactly where they came from, and you can feel the bullets hit your body so you don't know if you're actually dead or not.
A: Half that s*** isn't required for a shooter to "work." For ultimate realism, sure. But wind, trajectory, etc. isn't a normal part of your average FPS. Videogame bullets don't work realistically like that.

B: There ARE FPS games I don't like because they suffer from EXACTLY those feedback problems. There are a lot of shooters that have been criticized for doing a terrible job of telling the player what's hurting him, where it is, and how bad it's hurting him. Those are VERY COMMON issues. Most FPSs deal with them with some sort of hit direction indicator. And WTF do you think health is for? The whole "how dead am I" thing is an issue that's been addressed numerous times over the history of the FPS.

The simple fact is, if you don't know what your car is doing, you can't be expected to drive it well. Make analogies all you like, it doesn't change that fact. How much braking is enough? No pedal feel, no inertia, what do you base your judgements on? Faked feedback, just like hit direction boxes in an FPS to tell you where you're being shot from. There's only so much faked feedback can accomplish, whether you're talking shooter or driver. There's a lot LESS critical feedback to emulate in a shooter, so it's easier to get it "right" and give the player a decent idea of how, what, where. It's a lot harder to do in a driving game.

Chaotic_Warlord
Car: Black 5 speed Swapped 1995 240sx

MOD are you using a wheel pedal set or are you using the controller? I use the controller and yes I can see all your points as being valid, after all I don't drive my real car with a controller. But at the same time some of those raciing game setups look and work as real as is physically possible. If their was a way for a manufacturer to make a gaming rig that simulated wheel hop, the G-forces you feel when making aggressive turns, and a way to simulate brake lock and all the finer touches of driving I'm sure they would make a mint.

ProudNissanFreak

So, I just heard that in some German PS magazine, they said GT is slated for fall release. 3 sources so far, woo!

ProudNissanFreak

ProudNissanFreak

bmike818
Car: 2007 Z

Amazon has a date of Nov 1

dasoupdude

LOL i saw that a while ago, it just might be in time for forza 4

ProudNissanFreak

New trailer included in GoW 3!!! First good look at night racing!

http://www.gtplanet.net/new-gr...-disc/

RCA

Ugly Mercedes but sweet video. I am seriously thinking about buying GT5 now...

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

ProudNissanFreak wrote:New trailer included in GoW 3!!! First good look at night racing!

http://www.gtplanet.net/new-gr...-disc/
Hey, look - another trailer for a game that was to be in 2007. Was that Duke Nukem driving one of those cars?

If indeed GT5 doesn't hit it's most recently promised March 2010 target and gets pushed to the fall I certainly hope that some hard and pointed questions get asked at E3 in June.

ProudNissanFreak

From Sony at GDC today!!

4:13 PM: Peter Dille just confirmed that Gran Turismo 5 will ship this year. I exploded.

dasoupdude

LOL that could be anytime from here till December 31 bud

ProudNissanFreak

I know. At least we know it's coming out this year for sure. Most likely holiday season, though.

ProudNissanFreak

Return to “Gaming”