Get the wheels and forgo the drop ?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
PeteFiniti
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37X

Hi -
on my 2012 M37X I was thinking about getting new wheels. I was thinking 20X9 all the way around and not drop the car. I am not certain if I want to deal with dropping it and wondering if I were to go with just the 20X9 all the way around. The wheels I was thinking about are the vossen CV4 silver polished. I also like the Avant Garde M509.

On the other hand if I were to drop the car. Which product would you kind gentlemen recommend? I have seen so many topics on this and haven't gotten a good feel of which one to go with (as simplicity and ease of install etc). Also what about bags then so I can raise and lower it? :)

* Then what wheels (and sizes) you recommend for the front and rear.

Anyhow the only "mod" I have done to my car is put the Aero kit on it with the spoiler and black grille. Which that in its self made a huge makeover. I wish to reduce the gap between tire and finder. Also another note I am moving from NE Ohio to North Carolina. So I would not have to swap the tires between seasons.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

In my opinion aftermarket wheels, especially large deep dish with a lip wheels, tend to draw attention to and exaggerate the wheel gap. The wheel gap in turn cheapens the look of the car and wheels. That's why I always say do the drop first or both at the same time. I had my coilovers sitting in my workshop for a long while until I got the wheels, which also sat for a while before I got tires. :biggrin: I moved a little slow on those.

On my previous car I did the wheels and tires a month before the drop and just felt silly the whole time. The car looked like a 4x4.

Just my $0.02.

PeteFiniti

First off - Happy New year. Secondly, thanks for your response as your $.0.02 is appreciated ;). I thought about the "4X4" look as well and glad you mentioned it. I thought perhaps that was something just in my mind. So I have seen numerous posts on what was used to drop. so guys used springs and some used coil overs. So talk about cons of both scenario's such as "weird sounds" or what have you coming from coilovers. I assume you went with coil overs? If so which? also after all said and done did you have to perform an alignment? I suppose I want this to be painless as possible with out breaking too much of the bank.This is a project I wish to do and have completed into the spring. Pardon the ignorant questions. I have no issue wrenching on my own car as I have went the other way and suspension and body LIFTED 4 wheel drive trucks, swapping motors and so forth but never drop a car and on one such as "classy" as the "M" thus why I am hesitant. :) Debonair is yours and "x' (awd)? As we have the same color car but I am not sure what the dynamic is in such a project if the car is awd or if it is the same as 2wd.

I am sure you and the others on this forum have gone through this have a mental check list. Perhaps it would be nice to get some of that tribal knowledge documented.. ;)

Debonair

I went with BC Coilovers. Yes, you always want to get an alignment after doing any suspension work. I have a RWD. The AWD process is different slightly, from what I have seen getting the front strut out is slightly trickier. I'm sure someone with a AWD will chime in.

Debonair

I almost forgot about this AWD diy by Wideopn11. This will take you through the whole process. It's same for coils or coilovers minus compressing springs.

How To: 2011+ M37x Eibach Install, DIY

Altered
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x

Member ddiimmaa's M37x: Aero kit, Eibach springs, 20x9 Gunmetal Sport wheels

Even if you don't want to lower the car a lot a small drop with springs helps to give it more of a normal look, not extra high off the ground. Coilovers are still a better option for looks and fine tuning ride quality.

PeteFiniti

Thanks! I assume since your wheels are factory you are 20X9 all the way around?

If I do this I may go all in and go with coilovers. I have seen these http://bit.ly/1RhmUhoand they also have them on amazon http://amzn.to/1OAVQ7F.

I wonder if I will need the camber kit for these.

p.s. Picking a wheel can be a b*tch :crazy: since there are so many nice options.

Debonair

You will need the BC V-16 BR kit since you have the AWD (the link you have is the V-07 RWD kit). Also checkout the Coilover Spring Rate thread for info on the swift spring upgrade they offer. Worth it in my opinion.

95Supersport
Car: 2014 Q70

dropbox dot com/s/83jz58signf2rxb/IMG_5676.jpg?dl=0

[link removed by Ilya - posted in multiple threads, bad link, no other information. Use at own risk.]

PeteFiniti

Debonair wrote:You will need the BC V-16 BR kit since you have the AWD (the link you have is the V-07 RWD kit). Also checkout the Coilover Spring Rate thread for info on the swift spring upgrade they offer. Worth it in my opinion.
@Debonair. so what wheel size you end up going with in the front and rear?

The other thing I was thinking about if there was an offset i.e. 20X10 in rear and 20x9 in front. This would make it a pain for tire rotation ..

I am still considering 20X9 all the way around... then lower later but dayum the 10 in width in rear is awesome ... argh decisions.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”