How To: 2011+ M37x Eibach Install, DIY

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

This is my write up of how to install Eibach (or other) lowering springs on a 2011 or newer Infiniti M37x.

The purpose of this write up is to provide helpful knowledge to anyone who may be attempting to replace the suspension on newer M37's. Specifically I own a 2012 M37x and installed Eibach Pro-Kit springs. While I own the AWD model, this may also be quite useful to rear drive M37 owners. I am not a professional mechanic but I've done this on several cars over the years and I love to do what I can on my own. Enjoy.

Thanks to the following for advice and support. That's what these forums are all about. I appreciate your help. If I forgot anyone I'm sorry.
msvara
ddiimmaa
Larz
Da Mayor

Disclaimer: Always work on level ground, use the proper lifting tools, jack stands and block the wheels on the ground to avoid dangerous situations. Never attempt anything that seems unsafe and always follow the directions or shop manuals when available. I highly recommend using a lift if possible or at least have some air tools available. That said you should be able to do this with jack stands.

Tools needed:
Floor jack (lift if you have it available)
At least 2 jackstands (possibly 4 if you want all 4 wheels off the ground)
Various sockets
17mm double offset wrench
Spring compressors
Small crowbar and/or strong flat headed screwdriver
Gloves recommended

Step 1: Rear seat removal
The rear seat needs to be removed to access the shock tower. There are 2 ring clips holding the bottom seat in place. Release these clips and lift out the seat.
With the bottom part of the seat out you'll be able to see 4 nuts holding the seat back in place. Remove these 4 nuts, and try to push the seat belts aside (2 people would be good here). Lift the bottom of the seat back up and out toward the middle of the car and then carefully lift it up and out of the 3 hooks at the top. It's a little tricky at first but just careful and don't force it.
Set the back seat parts aside and move on to step 2.

Step 2: Secure and Lift the Car. (Rear)
Block the front wheels and lift the rear end from the designated points and gently lower the car onto a jack stands. Once secured, remove the rear wheels and set them aside. Once the wheels are off you should have a good view of everything.

Step 3: Shock Body Removal
I recommend disconnecting the bottom of the sway bar linkage to relieve *some of the tension on the axle body. The shock is noticeably longer than the axle housing at it's lowest point so get ready for some elbow grease. Wear gloves if you have them and put band aides on standby.
Remove the bolt holding the shock to the axle body.
See how much longer the shock is once it's disconnected. Thanks Infiniti.
Next unscrew the 3 nuts holding the shock in place on the top of the shock tower. Use the cap as a cup so you don't lose the nuts.
Go back to shock and wedge it away from the axle housing using a small crowbar or strong flat headed screw driver. (This was a royal pain in the a$$) The shock needs to go toward the middle of the car to get it out. Keep a hand on the shock so it doesn't come crashing out and take a chunk of your thumb with it.
Like I said, band aides on stand by.

Step 4: Remove the Spring From the Shock Body
Using spring compressors, carefully compress the spring. I went back and forth about 15 to 30 turns on each side repeatedly to keep even pressure until the rubber housing on the top of the shock was loosened.
Using your 17mm double offset wrench and an adjustable wrench to hold the piston rod in place, remove the nut on the piston rod.
Once the nut is removed, carefully pull the rubber boot out and remove the spring. Loosen the spring compressors and prepare the new Eibach spring to go on.
Spin the spring compressor around the new spring to get it close to the top since the Eibachs are coiled closer together and then compress the spring.
Once the spring is compressed enough, fit the spring to the shock, re-install the rubber boot and cap, screw the nut back on and make sure to check the alignment of the top before tightening the nut and releasing the spring.

Step 5: Re-install the Shock with the New Spring
Fit the shock back in place and loosely connect the nut on the shock tower to hold it in place. Push down on the axle housing and carefully wedge the shock back into place. This was not easy and required a good flat head screwdriver to persuade the shock back to its home.
Reconnect the bolt to the bottom of the shock and tighten down the nuts on the shock tower. I also used my floor lift to raise the axle housing thus compressing the shock a few inches and re-tightened everything.
Repeat on the other side.
Reconnect the sway bar link.
Double check all the nuts and bolts are securely fastened before putting the tires back on.
Once you are back on the ground, put the rear seat back in.
Mild drop in the back, I'm sure it will settle in a little more.

Now its time to start the front.

I highly recommend using a lift if possible or at least have some air tools available.

Step 1: Secure and Lift the Car. (Front)
Block the rear wheels, engage the parking brake and lift the front end from the designated points and gently lower the car onto a jack stands. Once secured, remove the front wheels and set them aside. Once the wheels are off you should have a good view of everything.

Step 3: Shock Body Removal
Disconnect the sway bar link, brake lines and speed sensor from the shock body.
Remove the top bolt only, there is no need to remove the bottom fork.
Press down on the whole structure to slide the bottom of the strut out of the seat in the fork. After it's completely out of the fork you can remove the top 3 nuts on the shock tower and carefully pull out the shock body.

Step 4: Remove the Spring From the Shock Body
Using spring compressors, carefully compress the spring. I went back and forth about 15 to 30 turns on each side repeatedly to keep even pressure until the rubber housing on the top of the shock was loosened.
Using your 17mm double offset wrench and an adjustable wrench to hold the piston rod in place, remove the nut on the piston rod.
Once the nut is removed, carefully pull the rubber boot out and remove the spring. Loosen the spring compressors and prepare the new Eibach spring to go on.
Spin the spring compressor around the new spring to get it close to the top since the Eibachs are coiled closer together and then compress the spring.
Once the spring is compressed enough, fit the spring to the shock, re-install the new rubber boot and cap (Eibachs came with a new front boot), screw the nut back on and make sure to check the alignment of the top before tightening the nut and releasing the spring.

Step 5: Re-install the Shock with the New Spring
Fit the shock back in place and loosely connect the nut on the shock tower to hold it in place. Align the shock with the fork seat and use a floor jack to gently lift it into place and then put the bolt back in and tighten. After the shock it secure in the seat of the fork tighten the top 3 nuts before releasing the floor jack. Reconnect the brake lines and speed sensor.
Repeat on the other side.
Reconnect the sway bar link.
Double check all the nuts and bolts are securely fastened before putting the tires back on.
Once you are back on the ground torque the lug nuts, go for a short slow drive and re-check the torque.
Last edited by wideopn11 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:37 am, edited 15 times in total.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Before:
After:
After new SCALE coilovers:
Last edited by wideopn11 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Excellent DIY mate ! Even more special because you 'shed some red' for the cause, LOL. After all the tribulations, you can now sit back and enjoy a job well done! I was baffled that for shocks, the seats have to be removed ... then I remembered having to remove wheels and fender linings just to replace a headlamp. As I always say, this car is a royal pain sometimes for the simplest of chores, but I love driving it so much, it somehow doesn't matter. Can't say that about many cars.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Thanks, lucky the seat removal was the easy part. I could have those seats out in less than 5 minutes now that I've done it. I hope the front goes a lot smoother but something tells me it won't.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Good job. Adding to the FAQ.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Suspension is all done. Getting my wheels soon, hopefully this weekend...
Mild drop but I like it and it rides about like stock. Slightly harsher on bigger bumps which is to be expected.

TwinsDad
Car: 2013 M37 Sport

Just finished my install tonight.

Overall I would say one of the easiest installs I have done in the past.

The only pain points for me was the bolt on the front strut and the rear suspension being so long.

Thanks to a breaker bar and a 3ft pry bar I was able to complete it.

Will post so pics tomorrow looks real good with the sport wheels.

Thanks for info above helped with the seat and rear install.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

Hey wide open where's the front writeup? Haha guess you're enjoying it so much you forgot to come back! Cheers.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah sorry, work has been busy. And yeah I'm enjoying it, especially on new wheels.

svard75
Car: 06 M35x

wideopn11 wrote:Yeah sorry, work has been busy. And yeah I'm enjoying it, especially on new wheels.
Lookin good!

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Thanks. I think the next step will be to get some 20mm spacers. I found these and I like them because they are black instead of shiny like most others. http://www.luceprodukt.com/e/oneighty_b ... _114_3.asp

sce1214
Car: 2013 M37Xs (current)
2006 M45s (sold)
2005 G35 (sold)

Hi... Car looks great! Waht a difference. You seem to have done all the research and know what your doing therefore I have a question for you. I have a 2013 M37XS and NEED to lower it! 1st - Do you have the Eibach item # for the springs you used? I cant seem to find a clarity of this. 2nd - Do you know if those springs will work on my sport model?

Thanks in advance for your help!

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Part # 6398.140. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for your 2013. Nothing changed that I know of. Post pics if you do it. I'd be curious to see if the sport package struts are much different.

sce1214
Car: 2013 M37Xs (current)
2006 M45s (sold)
2005 G35 (sold)

Thans for the quick reply! Will do

bmw2infiniti
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 Sport

I would highly advise against putting these on the sport model. Please learn from my mistake. I have a 2011 M37S and just installed the Eibach Pro Kit Lowering springs. I couldn't be more disappointed with the ride quality. My car is bouncing all over the place and it feels like a small boat in the middle of the ocean. The stock struts do not work well with the springs and causes excessive bounce. The stance is beautiful, and I love the handling through corners and braking, but what completely takes away from the character of the car is that annoying bounce. Between the cost of the springs and labor, I just wasted $600. I’m promptly putting the OEs back on. The only other option that I know of is to either get aftermarket struts or a decent set of coil-overs; good luck finding them.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Bouncing? This sounds more like the struts are not working properly. I don't see how stiffer springs could be causing the bounce. My ride is great. What happens when you push down on a corner of the car? Does it return to normal height or bounce first?

bmw2infiniti
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 Sport

Yeah it comes right back when you push down on it. After researching the “bounce”, I found that this happens sometimes when installing lowering springs. The OEM struts are taller and designed to work with a taller spring. Therefore after dropping it, the taller strut is working twice as hard, hence giving the “bounce” effect. A lot of cars don’t experience this but some do. I guess mine is one of them. Either that or the guy I paid to install them didn’t know what he was doing.

ByronB
Car: 2013 M56xS

wideopn11 wrote:Before:
After:
After, After:
It looks like you lowered it quite a bit since its an AWD model. Did you run into any problems getting it aligned? Did you have to swap out any suspension components to bring the camber back in spec?

robrie
Car: 13 M5
04 350z
13 M37x - Totaled
07 M35 - Sold
01 Max SE - Sold

ByronB wrote:
wideopn11 wrote:Before:
After:
After, After:
It looks like you lowered it quite a bit since its an AWD model. Did you run into any problems getting it aligned? Did you have to swap out any suspension components to bring the camber back in spec?
I'm also curious if you needed any other parts to keep it in spec. Did you use the existing shocks? I'd like to stay as close to the stock ride quality but get rid of the 4x4 look.

austin713
Car: 2011 M37

all of the picture links are broken. anyone have new links?

1080Rider

Check your browser, my work "baracuda's" imagr.com where the pics are hosted so I can't see the pics. When I'm at home, no problem...

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I'm at home (work from home) and images don't load for me also...weird. Might be a temp glitch with imgur.

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

sucks... the OP must have deleted the pics. Hate when people do this

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah that's not the case. Thank Dropbox; I have hundreds of pics hosted with them but they changed the rules of sharing public folders and broke all my links. Now I have to find a new hosting site and literally upload and update hundreds of links. Needless to say this won't happen over night.

Ilya

wideopn11 wrote:Yeah that's not the case. Thank Dropbox; I have hundreds of pics hosted with them but they changed the rules of sharing public folders and broke all my links. Now I have to find a new hosting site and literally upload and update hundreds of links. Needless to say this won't happen over night.
Go to IMGUR and be done with it. Sucks about having to update all the links though, for sure. I'd be pissed.

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Yeah I'm pissed. It's gonna be quite time consuming to re-do everything.

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

I'm hoping to install my Coilovers this Saturday . I hope the photos will be restored before then.

MY2J
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37

I've never had any issues with Photobucket in 12 years... maybe I can help the OP out? If you can send me the pics then maybe I can upload them?

CRV_33
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56x

wideopn11 wrote:Step 1: Rear seat removal
The rear seat needs to be removed to access the shock tower. There are 2 ring clips holding the bottom seat in place. Release these clips and lift out the seat.
With the bottom part of the seat out you'll be able to see 4 nuts holding the seat back in place. Remove these 4 nuts, and try to push the seat belts aside (2 people would be good here). Lift the bottom of the seat back up and out toward the middle of the car and then carefully lift it up and out of the 3 hooks at the top. It's a little tricky at first but just careful and don't force it.
Set the back seat parts aside and move on to step 2.
After I remove the seat bottom and seat back, does the rear shelf need to be removed as well?

wideopn11

Takeda CAI
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

No, the top shelf doesn't need to move.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”