G35 tire wear...

Shocks, springs, sway bars, coliovers, bushings, brakes, wheels, tires - This is the place to discuss G-Series suspension modifications!
infinitgkid
Car: '06 Infiniti G35 Coupe

ok on my last set of tires the guy in the service department told me that my tires were worn, so i'm like . When he takes me back to the shop to show me the tires were worn in the center though. He said it was due to heavy acceleration on the tires. All i have done is take the car up to 100+ mph for short amount of times. I've had those tires for about 5 months and have put about 10k miles on them. I haven't done any burnouts or any donuts... how are the tires are supposed to wear? aren't they supposed to last longer? If its me thats doing something to wear these tires, what exactly am i doing wrong?

thanks...

G_whizz
Car: 2010 G37 Coupe Sport

Were they overinflated?

Sux...sorry to hear

zozoka1212
Car: 08 Infiniti G35x

What is your tire pressure set to. It could be pressure problem also.

Zozoka

infinitgkid

i'm not sure what the tire pressure is set to, and i almost forgot about that... it could be an inflation problem...

SVTCOBRA
Car: 2018 Q60 AWD 2023 F150 4x4 5.0 FX4

I think G's right. Over-inflated will wear the center.get a good tire pressure gauge and keep them at the pressure indicated on the sticker in the door jam for your size tires. Check them when they are cold. I normally check them in the AM before the sun starts to heat up one side.Otherwise, the sunny side might be a pound or two higher than the cold side.

TJMaxx98
Car: 2004 G35 Coupe / 2008 FX 35

What kind of tires are they? I have about 10K on my Michelins Pilot Sport and they are still in good shape. That does suck!! Get some of the Nitto's so you can post pics of your car!!!

SVTCOBRA

Good question.I have Goodyear RS-A's on our sedan with 16k miles and at 5/32ndsI replace at 4/32nds.What is your tread depth also?

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

SVTCOBRA wrote:I have Goodyear RS-A's on our sedan with 16k miles and at 5/32nds
Definitely switch to some other tire, please, at your next opportunity! The RS-A is a mediocre tire at best and that is being generous.
SVTCOBRA wrote:I replace at 4/32nds.
An excellent idea! The "legal" limit of 2/32" is too low to be safe. I have a link to a video that demonstrates this. I will try to find it and link it in here.

Z

SVTCOBRA

actually, the goodyears have been pretty good tires. No noise, fairly sticky, track well, good wet performance.However, pretty pricey for the wearlife.Leaning toward the Yoko Avids. Don't want to really go beyound that price range. The sedans are DDs, so want some good all-season tires with a little performance. The cobra is more of the weekend warrior (to-be).

szh

SVTCOBRA wrote:actually, the goodyears have been pretty good tires. No noise, fairly sticky, track well, good wet performance.
Try the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and you will be blown away by its performance compared to the RS-A!

Far superior tires!

Z

szh

szhosain wrote:An excellent idea! The "legal" limit of 2/32" is too low to be safe. I have a link to a video that demonstrates this. I will try to find it and link it in here.
Here is the link: zerothread/211702

Z

infinitgkid

I have the RS-A's just like SVTCOBRA, so could you say that the tire's lifetime isn't all that great...
TJMaxx98 wrote:What kind of tires are they? I have about 10K on my Michelins Pilot Sport and they are still in good shape. That does suck!! Get some of the Nitto's so you can post pics of your car!!!
I have the RS-A's just like SVTCOBRA, so could you say that the tire's lifetime isn't all that great...

Kendahl
Car: 2008 G37S, Blue Slate, Premium, Navigation

Definitely check tire pressures. Wearing out the middle is a well known symptom of over inflation. Even if you have an on board pressure monitoring system, you should check pressures yourself at least once a month.

I have noticed a tendency for shops to set tire pressures to the maximum on the side wall rather than the pressures specified for the car by its manufacturer. Their argument is that higher pressures give you better gas mileage at the expense of a slightly harder ride. No comment about excessive, abnormal tire wear that wipes out any gas savings. Rather than argue with them, I check my pressures at home (after the tires have cooled off) and correct them as needed.

ugaexploder
Car: 2007 Lakeshore Slate G35S

the newer G's have tire pressure monitors on the car I think. I have bridgestone potenza re050a

joe603
Car: 2014 Durango R/T

Tire pressure monitors will only alarm if the pressure is too low. They could care less if the tire is over-inflated.

ugaexploder
Car: 2007 Lakeshore Slate G35S

that's interesting joe, i'll make sure i go pick up a tire pressure gauge...they almost look underinflated though

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I've speculated for some time now that the 17" and 18" wheels which are the same respective width all around are bluging the center of the wider rear tires. I've not heard any complaints from the people with the 19" wheels nor the newer 18" wheels on the Z's. I've heard many complaints about the same problem occurring on teh older 6 spoke 18's that the Z was running before, bit not the original Rays wheels which used the same tire sizes, but had 1/2" wider rear wheels.

In my observations, noone has shown me that this is an issue involving over-inflation as I've heard of this occuriing even with just enough pressure to keep the warning light from turning on.

SVTCOBRA

szhosain wrote:
Try the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and you will be blown away by its performance compared to the RS-A!

Far superior tires!

Z
No doubt!!! Would be a great tire for my cobra (weekender), but not so good for my DD G's. No deep grooves for water evacuation. Also, not in my size w/o increasing width.

Return to “G35 and G37 Suspension, Brakes, Wheels and Tires”