FX45 OR FX35

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
totaljett
Car: 1999 Q45T

2002 Q45

I may be in the market for an FX45 OR FX35. I"m willing to go FX35 if it has the 20inch rims. Here's my question. Of 2004-2008 FX45/35 models, are there some years that are more trouble free than others. I plan on the vehicle not being beyond 75k if I get it. Thanks.

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

totaljett,

As with any these Infiniti's I pay special attention the electronics. I reluctantly traded the wife's 2004 FX 35 Sport because the one door lock servo was bad. That's about a $900 trip to the dealer that I did not want to pay considering this FX had endured 5 x Upstate New York winters and a few extreme summers in the Mojave Desert. Other electronics to watch are front seats and the OE stereo (replaced ours 3 times while in CA while under warranty)

Also watch and ask about the wheel bearings. If they have not already been replaced they soon will be. Cost here is ~$800 in bearings and hubs. Add another ~$600-$700 if you need brakes (EBC w/Yellow stuff cost here). My '04 was also needing a new exhaust, so check Stillen and add another $1300 for a cat-back exhaust, which is cheap than an OE exhaust. All prices here are a couple of years old and no labor.

Most pain the butt thing I changed out was the front coil over shock as the stupid guber bolts mounting the shock to the hub assembly snapped in two. So make sure you have the car totally in the garage and a good set of cobalt drill bits!

I see these replacements as fair wear and tear (okay, the bearings could lasted a little longer) so no knock on Nissan. Otherwise we had zero engine and transmission issues.

Let me know if you have and other questions
cheers,
Li'l Truckie

totaljett
Car: 1999 Q45T

2002 Q45

Li'l Truckie wrote:totaljett,

As with any these Infiniti's I pay special attention the electronics. I reluctantly traded the wife's 2004 FX 35 Sport because the one door lock servo was bad. That's about a $900 trip to the dealer that I did not want to pay considering this FX had endured 5 x Upstate New York winters and a few extreme summers in the Mojave Desert. Other electronics to watch are front seats and the OE stereo (replaced ours 3 times while in CA while under warranty)

Also watch and ask about the wheel bearings. If they have not already been replaced they soon will be. Cost here is ~$800 in bearings and hubs. Add another ~$600-$700 if you need brakes (EBC w/Yellow stuff cost here). My '04 was also needing a new exhaust, so check Stillen and add another $1300 for a cat-back exhaust, which is cheap than an OE exhaust. All prices here are a couple of years old and no labor.

Most pain the butt thing I changed out was the front coil over shock as the stupid guber bolts mounting the shock to the hub assembly snapped in two. So make sure you have the car totally in the garage and a good set of cobalt drill bits!

I see these replacements as fair wear and tear (okay, the bearings could lasted a little longer) so no knock on Nissan. Otherwise we had zero engine and transmission issues.

Let me know if you have and other questions
cheers,
Li'l Truckie

Thanks for your valued information and forgive my CRAZY late response. Somehow I'm not being contacted through email regarding posts anymore. Still, good to hear no transmission or engine issues. However, the electronics appear to have the potential to gently bend you over the velvet couch by candlelight. :ohsnap

Jesse54b
Car: none

Hi, I am going to test drive an Fx35 next week, It's a beauty but there are also Fx45's that are in my price range. I really do want the extra power and bigger rims, I totally don't care about gas consumption. But I read that people have issues with oil leaks and some known issues with the fx45. Plus I know the drivetrain of the fx35 is more similar to the g35 , so I assume that engine has a better reputation for quality, Do you guys have any words of wisdom? I would much rather buy the fx45 but if engine quality is even a small issues I would rather go with the fx35. HELP!!!!!!

Also what known issues should I look for when buying a used FX

Thanks so much guys.

Jesse
Peterborough, on Canada

Jesse54b

I tried to use the search function because im sure this has been asked before. But it doesn't let me search.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Can you provide more details about the two vehicles you're looking at?
Year?
Trim level?
Miles?
Jesse54b wrote:I tried to use the search function because im sure this has been asked before. But it doesn't let me search.
As far as I know, noobs are not restricted in using the search function. Normally there are only two times when you may encounter a problem with the search function. The first is when there's a high demand on the server, in which case you'll just have to try again later. The other one is more of a user error, if you are not logged into your account you won't be able to use the search function.

If you run into this problem again, please post a screen shot so we can track down the issue.

How-to Upload Images Using Imgur
How to post pictures using photobucket

1) Log into your FREE photobucket account.
2) Click on one recently uploaded picture. (You MUST post them INDIVIDUALLY to NICO.)
3) On the right side of the screen you'll see SHARE LINKS (see image below).
4) Left click on the box next to IMG. You'll see a confirmation that it copied the link.
5) Paste as a reply in this thread. It's already formatted with the correct tags.
6) Click the submit button.

Jesse54b

They are both base model 2007. But mostly I'm wondering about the engine. Is the engine in the Fx45 a good one? what known issues does it have? When I look at forum some people report oil smell thru the vents when accelerating quickly. Also I know just from being a huge g35 and g37 fan that those engines have good reputations. I don't have a lot of money and am spending under 10,000 Canadian so they will have over 150,00km or 100,000 miles. So if I buy a fx45 and the engines have trouble then I am gonna be in big trouble.

Jesse54b

This question is really similar to what I am wondering. What has the engine with less issue. fx 35 or fx 45

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Jesse54b wrote:This question is really similar to what I am wondering. What has the engine with less issue. fx 35 or fx 45
And now the duplicate topics are merged.

coboarder
Car: Infiniti FX45 , 2005

Jesse54b wrote:They are both base model 2007. But mostly I'm wondering about the engine. Is the engine in the Fx45 a good one? what known issues does it have? When I look at forum some people report oil smell thru the vents when accelerating quickly. Also I know just from being a huge g35 and g37 fan that those engines have good reputations. I don't have a lot of money and am spending under 10,000 Canadian so they will have over 150,00km or 100,000 miles. So if I buy a fx45 and the engines have trouble then I am gonna be in big trouble.

I have owned both the FX35 and currently have an FX45. Both 2005. Both had the sport package. I have heard the FX45 consumes oil but I really haven't noticed a difference from my 35. It does get about 1-2 mpg less. But the 40hp and 60ft/lbs of torque increase make up for it. Definitely feel the pull. Plus I love the one touch at all the windows. The 35 only has the front two. I had the tech and video packages in my 35. But the DVD player was too finicky and the GPS was too outdated. So in my 45 went without and installed my own. I own Mobile Elevations and have been doing this 20 years. I don't recommend just anyone doing this. I really liked my FX35 but I love my FX45!

Jesse54b

Man that reply helped me alot I think I'm gonna go with the Fx45. Bigger rims really set it off and I don't care about mpg. I would really like to hear if there are any issues with the Fx45 engine from more people. But just hearing that you have owned both helps. What should I look for when buying an fx.

EdBwoy

Speaking about the engine from the POV of an M45 owner as we share the same engine, some had oil-related issues. My only advice would be to keep an eye on the oil level [That is even if you use synthetic with a promised 7,500 mile interval, use the on-board reminder or whatever method to at least check every 1K miles... or after hard runs, before long trips etc]

If you're smelling oil from the vents, it would be a leak from something like a valve cover gasket. When I had the V6 in a maxima nd also i35, I felt that they consumed oil just as much as the V8, but I suppose the rattle of the timing chain was a good reminder to top up. If you typically don't check your oil, then it's easy to let that slip in whatever engine. For whatever reason, the V8 didn't seem to be too forgiving to oil starvation.

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”