Front Strut bar -- fix the wobbles?

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Tiger51
Car: 1989 Nissan 240SX XE
1992 Nissan 240SX Convertible

I drive with my top down as often as possible, but when I do, I notice the body flex is well... noticeable. I don't expect the convert to be as solid as the coupe, but would the addition of a front strut brace help with those wobbles?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

It'll help. But if your chassis is "wobbling" that much when you put the top down, you might want to inspect the cowl and rear seat bracing for some busted welds.

Tiger51

It isn't that bad, not concerning bad, not something is broken bad, just the inherent "floppiness" of the convertible showing up. The structure is sound, just not as solid feeling as what I'm used to is all.

onosqv
Car: '92 240sx Vert

No bolt-ons will really fix the issue to make the vert to feel as stiff as a coupe. For the $50 or so, a front bar is worth having anyway, though. I recommend getting the more solid one & and not the "adjustable" ones.

Each little thing I added (front strut bar, front lower ladder bar, fender braces that are thicker than stock, etc) made my vert feel a little bit better. I wasn't satisfied w/ the rigidity (nor did I know how sloppy it was before) until I had a 4 point roll bar welded in. That stopped basically all the weird wiggles & creeks, etc. However, this is impractical for people who are just street driving their vert.

Although I haven't tried it personally, something like this seems like it would work pretty well for a bolt-on: ULTRA RACING 8 PT MIDDLE LOWER UNDERBODY SIDE BRACE BAR 89-94 NISSAN 240SX S13

I'd get something like that if I didn't already have a full cage setup.

Tiger51

Thanks, I'll look into adding that onto the list. I think I'll start with a nice strut bar and move from there.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

I wouldn't say a roll bar is impractical for a street driven car. I would say that about a cage. A roll bar is on my list of must needs to strengthen up the chassis.

If you can land a triangulated strut tower bar, get it. Best investment I ever made.

Tiger51

Hijacker wrote:I wouldn't say a roll bar is impractical for a street driven car. I would say that about a cage. A roll bar is on my list of must needs to strengthen up the chassis.

If you can land a triangulated strut tower bar, get it. Best investment I ever made.

Triangulated to the cowl for the third point? I've seen three point bars for the rear, but not the front. I'd like to get the Nismo bar, which isn't triangulated, but I could triangulate it myself, if I felt so inclined.

Hijacker
'94 F-150

Yep. To the firewall. I was lucky enough to pick up a custom fabbed STB from RotoRimp on our fabricator's market that triangulates to the firewall.

A pic of it on 94_240SX's car. When I installed mine, I had nuts welded on the backside of the firewall to make install easier if I have to pull it for any reason.

Here's the thread for reference. I would suggest sending a PM to RotoRimp as he hasn't posted in that thread for a bit now.

Tiger51

Reminds me of "Mote Carlo Bars" used on old Mustangs and such. Because of the high-rise intakes, carbs, air cleaners, etc, instead of a bar all the way across the engine bay, the top of each suspension house would tie back to the cowl. I'll give Roto a shout and see what's up, thanks.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”